“Every visit unforgettable!”

GC's Bistro
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Romantic special occasions casual fine dining
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We have eaten here many times, but I feel the need to review it every time we do because the food is so exceptional. The owner does the cooking and is a master when it comes to sauces. Giancarlo's is Italian by nature, but way upscale from ordinary spaghetti and meatballs. His dishes are gourmet and one-of-kind making you want to keep coming back for more. This visit my husband ordered veal parmesan and is still talking about how good it was. He swears he has never had veal parmesan like it before. I ordered the lobster-filled ravioli done in a delectable light creamy sauce. The lobster was fresh and the ravioli was overstuffed with it, along with baby shrimp served on top. Parmesan cheese is grated fresh at your table, along with the most awesome crusty bread. Our appetizer of fried baby calamari was lightly breaded and served with a tantalizing aioli sauce, and more than enough to share. I can't begin to describe all the other exceptional items on the menu, and only hope to live long enough to try them all! You will not be disappointed, I guarantee. Great service, lovely atmosphere and terrific wine list.
Do call for hours and reservations.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

During our 2nd annual visit to Morro Bay, my husband was in the mood for Italian and during his search on the web saw that Giancarlo's also catered to Vegans (that's me).

We were also happy that this place was not in the 'tourist' section of town. It was Friday night but we got there early, about 5pm so though we didn't have reservations we were able to get a table without any problem. The dining room was large and open and there was a gentleman playing a cool 'modern' looking harp. Nice background music.

After looking at the menu and hearing the specials, I was disappointed because nothing was Vegan so I asked the waiter about the website's mention of Vegan meals. He went to speak to the Chef and came back with the evening's Vegan options. The first was some dish with Tofu in it. It baffles me why everyone thinks that just because you are Vegan that you must like Tofu. I am not a big fan. The second dish was a Vegetable Pasta Primavera, which I ordered. I didn't have very high hopes. It sounded boring. My husband on the other hand was very excited about what he ordered.

He ordered a dish layered in mozzarella with handmade pasta and some meat - I didn't pay much attention but I do know he thought it was fantastic and devoured every last morsel!

When my dish arrived, I again, was not very excited...and then I took my first bite, and then my second and then every bit of me was excited and my taste buds danced and sang! This was the BEST pasta dish I had ever had...EVER!!!!!!!! The veggies (zucchini, green beans, carrots) were cut small and were cooked to perfection. The flavor of the dish was fantastic. I'm guessing that the Olive Oil was infused or something. Who knows, it was simply amazing!! This dish should have been on the regular menu, though in retrospect I'm glad it was saved for us Vegans...LOL!! My only critique was that I would have liked there to be a bit less oil, but I would still order it again as is!

We love going to Morro Bay and this is our new MUST GO restaurant when we are in town!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Ordered the Ravioli Pollo. The pasta was stale and the chicken was chewy. Tasted kind of like it was leftovers that they heated up in the microwave too long. The waiter did take it back and brought something he assured me would be fresh: the Mancati. Although it wasn't stale, it certainly didn't taste fresh. Service was very slow. Also, when the waiter (Dylan) dropped off our food, it seemed he wanted to rush off as fast as he could. I started to ask for a glass of wine and he rushed off while I was in mid-sentence. The bus person saw what had just happened and offered to get me a drink. This was the first time in more than a decade that I've sent food back, and I've NEVER been treated so rudely by a waiter.

1  Thank Eric J
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We went for the "early bird" special dinner, which was an outstanding value. The menu changes frequently, but on this occasion, there were three fresh fish selections. We had the local rock cod and the grilled swordfish. Both plates came with fresh vegetables, and a choice of salads or soup.
The food was skillfully prepared, and everything was delicious. This gem is a very popular dining spot, so make sure to arrive early and make reservations. You will not be disappointed! Bravo, Giancarlo!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Each dish is different from what you're used to.

Beautifully prepared and served. Would definitely go back here even though the service is a tad slow.

Fish was delicate and very nicely seasoned in a green sauce.

The bread served with balsamic vinegar and grilled garlic was wonderful. Loved the smokey flavor of the unusual Caesar salad.

Take advantage of their early-bird special pricing. Extremely reasonable.

What sort of Italian restaurant doesn't have any decent mineral water? Weird.