“Agree with "Still the Best"”

Captain's Inn at Moss Landing
Ranked #1 of 1 Moss Landing B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This is my favorite B&B ever. Highly recommend for those who enjoy being close to nature in a quiet setting with full amenities. Awesome view from the uniquely appointed rooms and delicious breakfast and snacks. Excellent place for a romantic getaway (e.g. anniversary with in-room massage) or to spend a wonderful weekend with girlfriends, as I most recently did. Elkhorn Slough Safari is a must!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MaryAnn S

Reviewed 11 May 2013

We had a fabulous weekend at this B&B in April. They pay close attention to the details that can make a good vacation a great vacation. We especially appreciated the breakfasts that accommodated our dietary restrictions- deliciously! The bed was soo comfortable and the rooms have interesting decorations, not the usually stock paintings. We wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house facing the road. If you need it to be super quiet ask for the boat house...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LauraK32066
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I spent a very memorable night here recently, not my first visit. My only regret is that I could only stay one day! The Inn Keeper, Donna, was very welcoming and a great cook! Be sure not to miss the Elkhorn Slough safari - great for bird and otter watching. The Inn is cozy and comfortable and the Boat house rooms have great views and showers. Only minutes to Monterey and a much nicer place to stay than some big hotel there.

Room Tip: The Boathouse is the most fun. Rooms in the historic bldg are charming and authentic.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Barbara G
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I had a very enjoyable stay at the Inn made even more pleasant by Donna. The beach setting and quaint cozy rooms were deluxe. I would definitely recommend staying here again.

For an extra bonus, try the nearby Phil's fish market. The food was amazing and they had a live band. Not to be missed to create a great overall experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank halifamous
Reviewed 8 March 2013

The Captain's Inn is quirky and fabulous. We had a room right on the water, and our bed was a vintage trailer - the lights even worked! The hotel is small and intimate. The owner is obviously a boat person - there are boats incorporated into the landscape and into some of the other rooms.
Donna, the receptionist and breakfast chef was new when we were there and was very friendly. Her breakfasts were the best we've had at a B and B. Sweet potato pancakes, homemade banana bread, "fiesta eggs", fresh fruit and great coffee and conversation every morning. I highly recommend this inn.

1  Thank Bonnie L
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We had a great time at the Captain's Inn. It was a wonderful mixture of decadence and wildlife viewing. Our first morning a red-shouldered hawk buzzed our window. A little later a white-tailed kite was kiting in front of the window and a harrier was cruising below. We saw at least 2 Say's phoebes, otters, seals, pelicans, shorebirds, sparrows, cormorants, loons and more from our window. Captain Yahn is very knowledgeable about local wildlife. There is a bird list just for the inn.
The 3 course breakfasts were wonderful, especially the sweet potato pancakes. The Innkeeper was very accommodating. Other reviewers mentioned time frames and rules, but she will work with you if she can.
We walked to 2 great restaurants: The Haute Enchilada and The Lemon Grass Thai restaurant (lots of vegetarian options.)
The beach and harbor are within walking distance. We had a great kayak trip up the slough. The boat motif is fun. The beds were comfortable and our room was quiet.

Room Tip: We stayed in the second story of the boat house. I did not look into the other rooms but I think th...
1  Thank ChickadeeD
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I am all over the world and have seen it all. Historic house reminds me of the old homes I grew up in Marblehead, Massachusetts so don't expect the Dubai Crowne Plaza. And if you have ever been to Europe their hotel rooms are much smaller than American over the top rooms, so don't expect big rooms in an historic house. Stayed two nights in the Historic House, Captain's Quarters, small rooms, but super comfy and the restoration work by the owners show how much they love the house. Loved the fact that in the early evening we could come downstairs and sit by the fireplace in the living room and help ourselves to hot cocoa or tea. The last night we spent in the Boathouse, "Sail Away" room which faces the Salinas River, the marshes and the dunes and all I can say is WOW, what an amazing view of the birds and wildlife. My hats off to Yahn, the owner, as each room is so uniquely decorated with the hulls of boats use for the beds and a bathtub right next to one of the front windows so you can literally soak it all in. Also a sense of humor, as there was a toy catamaran in the tub! Yes, it's a little pricey, but I find California, especially in this whole area very expensive anyway. For a getaway and being able to walk out the door and have a great meal at Haute Enchilada or Moss's Landing Cafe and take a walk on the beach without having to drive was worth its weight in gold.
Yes, there are some house rules, about keeping the front door locked in the Historic Inn, which faces the street, and going in and out of the back door, but for safety I can certainly understand it, being a home owner. Captain's Inn has this great little observation deck next to the Boathouse and marshes which is fantastic for taking photos, especially at sunset.
Breakfast is indeed served between 8:30am-9:30am, but you can help yourself to coffee and tea early in the morning. We were there for three nights and each morning, Donna, the innkeeper, served us a great breakfast. She even packed us a "to go" breakfast brown bag for our drive back up to catch our flight out of the San Francisco airport. Cookies in the late afternoon each day in your room, these little attention to details are impressive. One night we had take out food, and Donna brought over a child's sand bucket filled with plates, cups, silverware and other little goodies. Just loved it.
Rarely do I meet someone who is genuine and gracious in our society nowadays. Donna, the new innkeeper is a KEEPER!!!! Originally from Virginia, her southern manners and hospitality and kindness is genuine. She had only come on board at the Captain's Inn four days before we got there, and I was impressed, because it is not easy to run a bed and breakfast and try to accommodate everyone's needs and learn the nuisances of a new place. Donna makes you feel at home immediately and gives warmth to the place. It takes a certain type of person to run a really good B&B, and she has it. It is one of the major reasons I am giving it an excellent rating is because of Donna. And why we would come back.
Lastly, for anyone who wants a romantic getaway, book one of the rooms on the second floor of the Boathouse, you will not be disappointed. We stayed in the "Sail Away" room and we are boaties so this was a great treat for us. Loved the fact that you can walk out the door and down the road and have a wonderful meal, check out the birds and wildlife and go for a walk on the beach. Everybody in town, and it is an eclectic little place, is warm and friendly, very laid back. And for those birders out there, my husband, was in heaven, with all the different species of birds he saw at Moss's Landing.
For those people reading this review, this is the first time I have ever written a review, so I hope it helps. Yes, Route One, is close and so is the power plant up the road, but in the evenings things quiet down with the cars and I don't go psycho over stuff like that because California has always had too many cars anyway. I just block it out and enjoy the birds, wildlife and walking on the beach and the people who live there and who we met at the inn. We live in northern Wisconsin, so this was a great escape for us during the bitter cold winter months. Great food, great views, great innkeeper, quirky little hamlet, it's all good. Lesley and Mike B.

2  Thank Lesley B
Comfort Inn Watsonville
Comfort Inn Watsonville
#3 of 10 in Watsonville
Best Western Beach Dunes Inn

Been to Captain's Inn at Moss Landing? Share your experiences!