“Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Whole Enchilada

The Whole Enchilada
Good for: Groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Salinas, California, United States
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stopped by The Whole Enchilada for a early dinner while driving back from the Santa Cruz area. Living in Monterey County for many years, I have never heard any of the locals utter a bad word about this place. Right on Highway 1 in Moss Landing, a perfect place if you're driving through or want to escape the tourist trap restaurants in Monterey.

Upon entering, we were greeted promptly, seated, and the waiter was at the table in less than a minute. Chips and salsa arrived a few seconds later. Started with a steamed artichoke that was, and I've been eating artichokes for about 40 years, the best I've ever had in a restaurant. The choke was cooked just right, nicely garnished with salsa, and served with an incredible pesto dipping sauce. My wife ordered the Chicken Tamales, and I couldn't help myself so I went for the Lobster Raviolis. Both meals were outstanding. Finished the meal with a wonderful Mexican Flan that was just right. To be honest, The Whole Enchilada is far better than the majority of restaurants on the Monterey Peninsula.

This place has been serving fantastic meals for decades, and the service is top notch. Our waiter was the nicest young man you would ever want to meet. The meal presentation was on target, and everything arrived at the perfect time. I ordered a coffee with dessert that seemed to take a little longer than expected but the waiter came right over, apologized for the delay, and removed the cost of the coffee from the final tab. Nice gesture.

The Whole Enchilada has been doing it right for a long time and we will be visiting much more in the future. If your timing is right, the owner may stroll by your table and will have you in stitches. This is Mexican / seafood at it's finest.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Half Moon Bay, California
“Plentiful and delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Driven by this place for years on the way to Monterey, but friends told us to stop there for lunch, so we did. Excellent food, great service...and I needed my [happy] husband's help to even finish my lunch! I hear the drinks are great, but I was driving - so I can tell you the coffee was good. Won't be driving past there next time - we'll be stopping for lunch!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank HMBSusan
Piedmont, California
“Consistent, good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Been eating at The Whole Enchilada for decades. Food and service are consistently good. Service the same. Absolutely nothing to complain about.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank ronshumway
Bay City
“Wonderful Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

It's a lunch wagon where the owner make everything fresh. It is quick and very good. I recommend the tostada and the beans!

Visited August 2013
Stilwell, Kansas
“Yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

After our whale watching expedition with Sanctuary Cruises we were ready for a late lunch. This place is right at the highway and entrance to Moss Landing harbor. Everything we had was Mexican seafood and it was all great and, of course, fresh. The service was great, too.

Visited September 2013