“Ride up ski lift on hot summer day”
Review of Mt. Baldy Ski Area

Mt. Baldy Ski Area
More attraction details
Owner description: This popular California ski area offers more than 50 trails for downhill and snowboard enthusiasts.
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We wanted to get out of the LA heat and do something different on July 5, 2013. I had heard of summer rides up the Mt. Baldy ski lift, and found an online package deal they were offering that included round-trip lift ride and choice of entree on the menu at the restaurant on top. The lift area is a little difficult to find, even with gps. Once we found the parking lot we were unsure where to present our passes. The lift looks a little old and rickety, but works very well. Once they young man helped us in our seats, the ride was great. The view from the top is nice, although the sky was hazy. It was actually pleasantly cool up there. The restaurant was not fancy at all, but had very good food, which was served to us out on the deck overlooking the mountain view.

1  Thank Manddymill
in 15 reviews
"hikers"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

We were looking for something different for a summer afternoon activity. We made the easy drive to Mt. Baldy ski area and rode the chairlift to Top of the Notch restaurant for lunch.

If you can get a coupon, that would make the cost more affordable. $25 round trip on the lift was excessive.

Driving up the hairpin turns, it felt like we had really gotten away from civilization. Very nice. Parking was easy ($5) close to lift.

The chairlift was really neat, so quiet and beautiful. It climbs 1300' to 7800' to the Top of the Notch restaurant. Our lunch was quite yummy. I had a delicious burger called the huck-a-muck burger, photo attached. Again, overpriced at $12.

This is probably much more fun and economical for those who hike the trail up to the Top of the Notch and beyond. But if you just want something different and don't mind extra cost, I recommend the chairlift and lunch.

2  Thank Left-the-dog-at-home
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Hike the Mt Baldy trail across from the Mt Baldy Lodge. It is a great day hike. Not even that. Great trail some incline but not bad. Great view of the valley. On a clear day you can see Los Angeles on part of the trail. Cross a stream, climb over a fallen tree or two on your way to Bear Flats.

1  Thank Jemetta
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Now, I would like to preface this review by mentioning that my son and I had been there during the summer months and done some hiking and found that breathtaking. Go do it if you have a chance - it's really great!

Now the sledding - I bought a bunch of coupons off of Groupon for inner tubing. The package came with ski lift ride up the mountain and inner tube rental. Given the price and the fact that you could only attend 2 hour sessions, I assumed it was a big deal. When we got up the mountain we found that the sledding area was maybe 25 yards long and it was not exactly an exciting ride. It was a joke. I couldn't believe I had laid down the cash I had for THAT. If I had known that it was a ride for little children, I wouldn't have brought a bunch of middle schoolers and high school freshman. They should have made that clear in their advertising. It was a huge waste of time.

I rented my son a snow board and a helmet and let him loose. The rest of the kids and I sat down on the restaurant patio (excellent view) and had a soda. Our interaction with the staff was mixed - some friendly and some downright disaffected and rude. Now, for the rudeness I will grant that the employees are probably not having a good season. There just hasn't been much snow this season.

I would go back for the hiking. I can't speak to the skiing. But unless you have a 3 year old, don't go sledding for that amount of money.

1  Thank TonyVez