“below the great mountain lies the Hermitage”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Shasta
ShasTao Philosophical Hermitage
Ranked #3 of 8 Mount Shasta B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“below the great mountain lies the Hermitage”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

One day I found this magical place, or perhaps it found me. Either way, I knew I had arrived at someplace special when I pulled into the tree lined driveway, greeted by the intoxicating smell of pine and a hauntingly beautiful and graceful white horse. The Hermitage is cozy. Once inside, you find the kind hosts, Sherry & Kealey, are genuinely interested in making you feel welcome. After you stay once, you become part of the family, and are always welcomed back , when you arrive it's as if you never left. This is a home away from home, not a typical B & B. It has an open atmosphere, but you can have privacy if you prefer. It's always interesting to see the travelers who come to this marvelous refuge. I can't wait to return in the fall.

Room Tip: they have an amazing infra red sauna & serve fresh squeezed juices. I love all the rooms. It'...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
10 Thank lynmill_11

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 29 December 2009

The city of Mt. Shasta and the mountain itself has been my home away from home for over 25 years. The mysticism, the natural beauty and the extraordinary pureness of this location touched my heart and soul the moment I first visited. Every year, sometimes twice a year, I have journeyed to Mt. Shasta for pilgrimage, rejuvenation and adventure and every single time I have received all that I hoped for and more.

I first discovered ShasTao Philosophical Hermitage in July of 2009 as I was looking for a new and different place to stay in Mt. Shasta. When I read the description of the B&B on their website and then talked with the owner/proprietor Sherry Ackerman on the phone, I quickly realized that this was not a typical B&B, even for Mt. Shasta.

My hosts Sherry and Kealey were extremely well educated, spiritually conscious and very loving people who treated me like I was genuinely important to them. The food was exceptionally healthy and delicious. I especially loved my conversations with both of them over lavender tea which they grew and harvested! My room was filled wall to wall with amazing books about modern spirituality, esoteric metaphysical subjects and even tantra! It was romantic there and I felt welcomed and happy. I thought that this would be a very nice place to bring a girlfriend or hopefully someday a wife.

Well it turns out that I did not have to wait very long for this wish! While I was staying at ShasTao in July, my best friend and I had many video chats over the internet. She was in Poland visiting family and I was still recovering from a disappointing breakup with a girlfriend a few months earlier. We realized during those video chats that we were deeply in Love with eachother and within a couple days I asked her to be my girlfriend.

Two months later we were engaged to be married. We decided that for us, the best place in the world to be married was Mt. Shasta and the place for us to stay was ShasTao. Two months after we were engaged, in November of 2009, we drove to ShasTao and got married in a very intimate ceremony with just the two of us and a minister on top of Mt. Shasta.

It is so true what they say about marrying your best friend. We both know eachother so well already. It certainly enhances our relationship that we both absolutely Love Mt. Shasta and we both so much appreciated all the extra effort, consideration and generosity of Sherry and Kealey at ShasTao. They did many little things to make our wedding time special, like keeping the room next to ours clear so that we could have privacy, made special organic, raw cakes for us and even threw a reception/tea party for us on our wedding day!

I have always considered Mount Shasta a very special and magical location. Now we have a very meaningful and magical place to stay while we are there... ShasTao Philosophical Hermitage.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
#5 of 9 in Mount Shasta
Shasta Starr Ranch B&B
Shasta Starr Ranch B&B
#2 of 8 in Mount Shasta

Been to ShasTao Philosophical Hermitage? Share your experiences!