“An enjoyable experience for an out of practice camper”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta City KOA
Reviewed 27 February 2011

My wife and I decided to stay at this KOA with my sister and her family. We had not been camping in a very long time. The booking process was flawless. The person who took my reservation (I can't remember her name) was extremely helpful. We were able to get a site next to my family. Upon arrival, we found out that the cable was out and had been for a little while. No big deal. I didn't drive all the way up there to watch tv. The site was clean. The showers/bathrooms were clean. In the rare instance when it was not, I made mention to the staff. They immediately took care of the problem. We particularly enjoyed the billards table. We were directly across from the pool and found that the noise didn't bother us. We met some new people in the sites next to us and enjoyed their company. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly. We stayed for a week and are headed back this summer. I will recommend this KOA to all of our camping friends.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2010

We pulled into our tent site late at night, once we got our tent set up and laid down, we heard the train. It was the longest loudest train we have ever heard and felt like it was coming right through the campground. It woke us up several times throughout the night.
I went to the office in the morning and suggested they put a notice on their website and the employee was rude and flippant. The pool is small, but clean, it doesn't open until 10:00 am. I think this would be okay to stay in a cabin or RV, but would never stay here in a tent.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2010

The staff was rude. I saw Mitzi, the owner, yell at someone right in their face Mitzi was also very rude. I personally had to clean my own campground when I arrived - it was full of garbage and wet clothes hanging from the previous people. The showers were filthy and the toilet paper was never full, even though I did observe people cleaning the bathrooms. I did not get a good night sleep at all because the train is so loud, right across the street and comes every two hours all night long. Mt. Shasta is great, but this campground really blows. It is not worth it, buyer beware. I will never stay at this KOA again and if this is any indication of KOA in general, I'll avoid them all.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2010

After driving for 7 hours with two small kids and a puppy, my husband and I were really looking forward to staying at the KOA. We just wanted to hook up our travel trailer, take a hot shower, lay down for the evening and watch tv. We were returning from a camping trip the San Juan islands where the camping is primitive. We felt that by staying at a KOA, we would finally have some of the amenities we had been without for several weeks. We checked into the KOA, asked for full hookups and payed the full hookup price for site #17. When we pulled into our site and plugged in all of the utilities, we realized the cable tv did not work. I walked to the office where the girl behind the counter stated that it had not worked for quite a while. I was tired and irritated that I had not been informed of this when I payed. She did say that the cable tv worked in the less expensive "partial hookup" site. I told her that finally relaxing with my kids while watching our favorite shows was why we choose to camp at KOA and if she had told me about the TV problem, I would have stayed at a less expensive site with the cable TV. This girl had NO compassion. She just looked at me like I was an idiot and offered no compensation. Later that night, I tried to watch a movie through my laptop via the "free" WiFi. The connection was too slow and intermittant to play a movie. NO movie, NO tv.

I had chosen to stay at KOA because of the reputation of consistently clean and well kept facilities with good amenties. I was wrong. I was also lied to and not compensated. By withholding information, KOA got my money and did not provide services. The pool was freezing, the shower was dirty. The only good thing was the view of Mt. Shasta from some sites, which of course we did NOT get in our expensive site.

I am looking forward to returning to Mt. Shasta, but will not stay here

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank WendyJeepchick
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I just returned from a 23-day camping trip where most of our stays were at KOAS (LOVE THEM!!!) So, please know that this review is to help save someone from below standard conditions. At the Mt. Shasta KOA, these were the negatives: Extreme infestation of mosquitoes, stagnant water (with mosquito larvae) in playground tire, only one central bathroom with bathroom code that didn't work all the time, a train that seemed to pass right through the campground 3 times during the night with a blaring horn, freezing cold pool, and a staff member who just uh-huhed me as I was talking and trying to inquire about the freakish mosquito population. Her response: "It's nature and there's nothing we can do about it." Well, in other KOAs, they DO do something about it, so I found out. So, save your money and go elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank sixeagle
Reviewed 14 July 2010

After traveling 8 hours towing a pop-up trailer with a minivan full of kids we finally made it to the campground, which had great views and the kids loved the pool. We arrived at 5:15 and the girl at the office was leaving. Her attitude was not friendly and told my husband that she was taking a lunch break and would be back in a half hour. Keep in mind we still needed to set up our trailer and make dinner for our hungry and tired crew. After she got back it only took her less than 5 minutes to get us checked in. I feel that making the customer wait a half an hour with small children while you eat lunch when you could just point to our site so we could at least get set up is poor customer service. Plus the care-less attitude. Maybe you will have better luck if you don't check in during their breaks. About the campground: Bathrooms are old, but clean. Pool was cold, but the kids don't mind. They have a video arcade, but most of them were out of order. It is beautiful and quiet except for the train throughout the night.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Tomalynn
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We have stayed in KOA's across California and have yet to be dissappointed. The Mt. Shasta KOA was no exception upon arrival. The campground is very well kept, the staff is friendly and the cabin we stayed in was adorable and very clean. The only problem was the train that runs through Shasta. The tracks are about 100 yards away from the campground. It ran through Shasta every two hours from 10: PM until about 4:00 AM. Maybe some can sleep through that but the cabins are uninsulated so I could hear it coming at least a mile away. Many staying in RV's said they didn't hear it.
I don't blame the staff for this. I'm sure many stay at the campground and aren't bothered. I am only writing this so that others might be informed. If I would have read a review like this, I would have stayed elsewhere. Moving forward, I will do my homework in regard to rail lines in a given area.

Kara