“Black Bear Diner ~ Original”

Mt. Shasta Black Bear Diner
Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Mount Shasta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Our Mt. Shasta diner has the distinction of being where it all began. Who knew a little dream in a tiny town would expand and attract fans from eight (and counting) states? Through it all, this diner has held its own as a small but mighty gateway to this charming town. Just off the I-5, it feeds locals as well as visitors here to play at Lake Siskiyou or Mt. Shasta Ski & Snowboard Park.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stopped by for lunch sandwich and a milk shake. I have stopped by, any chance I get, since 1984. When this place was the only Black Bear, it was a very popular lunch stop. Somewhere along the line, tourists expected fine dining within the shadows of Mount Shasta. That is not the case. It remains a burger and fries kind of place with hand made old school milk shakes. Today, a blackberry milk shake that could bring a tear to the eye of a 1960 burger and fries sort of a guy. I will say: I'm glad I stopped and I'll be back in 3 days on my return drive South on I-5.
Check my posted picture: That is Mount Shasta in the far background behind the Black Bear Statue. A Natural Classic.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This might be the original black bear, but and the portions are HUGE BUT Done mistake quality for quantity , plus the wait staff look at there dirty nails, yucko! When it was Jerry's it was better.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I will start off by saying that was server Ashley did an excellent job she was very attentive kind funny and made sure I had everything I needed. Now the food quality on the other hand is something totally different I ordered the almond crusted trout and it had no flavor it tasted like nothing the crust should have and flavorful and there should have been more garnishments to set your own flavor such as lemon or oranges. Although Ashley had to take a mandatory break and leave me with a older lifetime Diner server which did not have the same friendliness or approach. I think that this is just your run-of-the-mill diner .

1  Thank Nina D
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is the original Black Bear diner opening up in 1995. We tried to go there on Sunday morning but the place was jammed. Monday morning, we had breakfast, tasty with enormous portions. My wife and I split a Hobo breakfast that was huge. Our friends had eggs with chicken apple sausage and linquica, Way too much food but delicious.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The food here is really great. The servings are huge. The Taco salad could easily feed two. The wait staff was pleasant and attentive. We were with a large group of non English speaking people and the waitress handled it all with grace and patience.