“A-1 CHOICE INN - Beware the trains!”
Review of A-1 Choice Inn

A-1 Choice Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Mount Shasta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2013

On the way back from Death Valley, it was getting late and everyone in the party was getting dog tired. We picked a likely motel name at random from the list that Garmin gave us for the next town: the Pine Needles Motel. Apparently since the last time my GPS was updated, the motel underwent a rebranding to the current name: The A-1 Choice Inn.

Looking about the other reviews here on Trip Advisor, I'm not sure why everyone is so down on the motel. Admittedly it's a little old and rough around the edges, but it seemed fine enough. The beds were clean and reasonably firm. The pillows were a bit on the thin and tepid side, but there were no stains on the sheets nor any pubic hairs in the bed. Perhaps I just got lucky? Perhaps the management saw the reviews and cleaned up their act? Either way, I saw no evidence of the problems in the other reviews.

As far as the showers go, the water pressure was really weaksauce, and was very hard to get the shower head to reach your legs.

The room was reasonably clean (although we did get a Mystery Pill in the drawer with the Gideon's Bible. Is someone telling us something?) The television was an older Zenith from the 90's (does Zenith even exist anymore?) and there was both a microwave and a small fridge. There was a bit of road noise from the highway (only to be expected) but it died off around midnight. The fridge was reasonably quite after a short compressor start up.

That said - there is a heavy use train line RIGHT across from the motel and there were some extremely long, extremely noisy freight trains passing in the night, blowing their extremely loud horns as they come to the various Mount Shasta crossings. We might have gotten lucky, getting two trains back to back about 11 o'clock and then nothing for the remainder for the evening until about seven the next morning (that of we were so tired that nobody noticed the later trains) however this may have just us hitting a fluke in the magic window of scheduling. Unless you're a heavy sleeper, don't care about freight trains in your living room or have industrial strength earplugs, I would keep this in mind when booking a room.

All in all, the motel wasn't a bad value - 90 bucks for 3 adults at the end of May. The motel wasn't bad, but the location of the train tracks and the potential constant stream of freight trains prevent me from ranking this motel very highly at all. But if you can get around the locomotive engines noise, it's not a bad motel. I wouldn't stay here again, but don't regret the one night spent under their roof. Just be mindful of the trains.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tardis-Geek

Reviewed 1 September 2012

We checked in very late calling ahead briefly before check-in to make a reservation. We had not planned on staying at a hotel in Mount Shasta and did not take the time to research our choice. Big Mistake. My husband said he called many places before this one but they were full. When we arrived we were so tired we did not fully investigate but went straight to bed. In the morning we discovered that there wasn't any shampoo. I went to the office to ask for shampoo and the woman at the front desk pulled out a bucket of used bottles left by previous travelers. She seemed to be considering which one I was worthy of and took an unusual amount of time considering which one to give me. The bottom of the shower had icky water puddles. And the place was very old and appeared unclean and smelled like an ash tray. The sheets also smelled like ash tray.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Delancy1
Reviewed 2 March 2011

This motel is not a good choice especially in winter. The room was very cold and the heater worked but was very noisy. The room is not furnished very well and not particularly inviting. The price for what we got was not good. Look elesewhere.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alpenglowtraveler
Reviewed 16 September 2010

This is probably the worse place I ever stayed. Over-priced, smelly, we were so exhausted when we arrived we thought we wouldn't care where we stayed...not true. Woke up to the sun shining through a burn hole in the blinds. Dusty, just plain dirty. I wouldn't complain if it was reasonable, but it wansn't!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mtncpl06
Reviewed 6 January 2009

My father and I stayed here when we came up to Summit Mt. Shasta. He found this and reserved it because it was at the top of the list (A1).
We arrived after a 10 hour drive up from Los Angeles, and were absolutely exhausted. The first room reeked horribly of smoke and curry. I politely asked him if he could move us to another room, I have very sensitive allergies, and my eyes were watering like crazy (it was obvious that the cleaning job in the room was absolutely cursory). He begrudgingly gave us the key to another room. We came into our 2nd room, which smelled even worse!! Like urine, diapers and indian food, but it APPEARED to be cleaner and we were exhausted.
When I peeled back the covers I found CURLY BLACK HAIRS all over the sheets. I immediately went back to talk to the inn keeper. He would not move us into another room because we had only paid for his base level room, and unless we were willing to pay for an upgrade, he would not accommodate us. Though he did give me another pair of sheets (with a huge stain on them). I showed him the stain and he said that the sheets were clean, but the stain would not come out. We would have gone elsewhere, but by that time it was very late, and as I said before we were exhausted.
On top of the olfactory assault, and pubic hair bedsheets, this place is just dingy to begin with. The beds are uncomfortable, the shower dribbles water, and the rooms have obviously not been upgraded for years -- I shudder to think about what that carpet looks like under a black light.
I cannot believe that this guy charges 100+ dollars a night.
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!