“Nice hotel... nice amenities”

Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Reviewed 15 May 2014

When visiting Stanford, I often stay in Mountain View as you have a number of nice 3-star hotels. This was my first time at Hotel Avante and I was impressed. Comfortable beds, clean rooms and common areas, super-friendly staff, GREAT free Wi-Fi, good free breakfast with fresh fruit cut up.

I'll be back.

The only minor negative thing I can think of is the breakfast area was not staffed. Every morning I was there something ran out and wasn't refilled. Put someone on it, and I'd call it a perfect stay. (And please, Greek yogurt instead of highly sugared yogurt is something all breakfasts should have!)

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and got one... great undisturbed night sleep
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mywebss
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Hello Mywebss,

Thanks for the 5 stars and the great tip about the Greek yogurt. I will talk to the team about that and making sure we are on top of the refilling of product. Glad you had a good nights sleep as that is a precious thing! We hope you return soon and thanks for the feedback.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have been to the San Jose area a handful of times in the last few months for leisurely things like concerts and just to get away. My girlfriend and i love the area and can't seem to get enough of it. I originally found Hotel Avante via Expedia.com. The reviews i read and the pictures i saw made HA seem like a pretty legit place and given the price we decided to check it out. BEST DECISION EVER!!!! With an extremely friendly and welcoming staff along with the awesome modern vibes, Hotel Avante soon became our new favorite spot to be whenever we come to the area. Unless it (H.A.) were to close down or something ( God forbid ) there is no other reason for us to choose any other hotel. I rated this hotel 5 stars but only cause there wasn't an "Infinity" option haha. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone from singles to families. OH and did i mention the full catered breakfast?!?! LEGIT!!!!

Moral of the story? If you go to the San Jose area and stay anywhere BESIDES Hotel Avante, you're a fool. So do yourself a favor, and check this place out. You won't be disappointed :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David H

WOW David, that is one of the most amazing reviews I have ever read! Thank you so much for the raves! I am over-joyed that you love our hotel as much as we do. The staff will be thrilled to read this and to know their care and hard work pays off. Their goal is to give every guest an amazing experience and it looks like they succeeded with you. We are glad to be your go to hotel and book direct with us so we can insure you get that one on one with the hotel every time.

Have a great day,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great hotel. Clean, quiet, easy access and friendly staff. There are several restaurants close by for dining options. Loved taking the short drive into Palo Alto for dinner and another night downtown Mountain View.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Retro is a great word to describe the hotel! Thank you for the 5 stars and the amazing review. We love how close we are to Palo Alto too....we even have a sister hotel there, Epiphany, check it out sometime, it just opened. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The front desk and everyone behind the scenes works as a team to make things so smooth. I ordered a room service dinner on Sunday night when everything was slow and they were out a couple of things normally on the salad I ordered. They called to tell me and see if that was fine. Other places usually don't even bother.
they went out of their way to helping me make transportation arrangements and make sure I had all the information I needed.
It is an old hotel remodeled to the Joie D'vive brand so a big older. But many updates and has the usually games in the desk of all Joie D'Vive. So felt very at home

Room Tip: BAckis adjacent to an apartment complex with trees so cooler and quieter
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hello Carol,

Thank you for the 5 stars and for the awesome review. I'm so pleased the team worked with you to make your salad good for you. I also thank you for understanding and being so pleasant with them. I think you will be pleased to know we are still in the process of updating the hotel. We will have touched everything in the room by the end of the year! Thank you for staying at the JDV properties and for being a fan.

Best to you,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The staff at the hotel couldn't have been more helpful. Anything we asked for was arranged immediately. It is a very laid back hotel with minimal services, but near a lovely park for walking. You become more comfortable the longer you stay.

Room Tip: There are king sized rooms with pull out sofas and there are suites that give you a bit more room. L...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your excellent review. It is so good to hear the staff made you feel at home and catered to all your needs. That is always our goal, to do whatever we can to make you never want to leave! Or better yet, always return to stay with us. I will make sure to share your praise with my team, they are the backbone of the hotel. We hope you can visit us again soon and thank you again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

When you first look at the place, you start doubting yourself.

After you walk in, you find that its pretty trendy, and actually a decent hotel. I wish that they had central air in the room. The room cooled down quite fast, but it because an ice bucket, and once you turn off the air, the room became hot and muggy. No win.

The room was clean, quite spacious, and had many "toys" and gadgets to amuse. Shower pressure was nice, and even the toiletries was nice. The fridge and the coffee in room was a nice touch, and in the lobby was coffee and tea.

Breakfast was much nicer than I anticipated. The hot food selection was pretty good, and the cold food selection was better than some B+B.

Grade A+ for the breakfast
B+ for the room

The minus 1 star was the location, and the difficulty it was to find, even with the GPS.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for letting me know about the GPS issue. We are about 2.5 blocks from the 85 and 3.5 miles from the 280 on the main road through Sunnyvale and Mountain View (El Camino). I think since we are on E. El Camino Real, the GPS might miss the East part, which would make us hard to find. Sorry you had such an issue, that can be frustrating. I am pleased to see had a great experience and really enjoyed the hotel. We do try to have a free breakfast that will please many, since we have such a diverse clientele. Thank you for your review and for staying with us, we hope you return soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stay at heaps of hotels, mostly chain, and this hotel had a good independent feel to it. However upon arrival in the lobby the outside of the building looks old and cheap. The windows at the entrance to the lobby were dirty with no clear signing that it was the entrance. I feel like Mr Hotel Impossible here... the room had popcorn ceilings, the ottoman was stained. I did like they had slippers which is a rarity for US hotels. The bed was comfortable. I checked the prices for this property and they are relatively high for what you get, the hotel is OK given the market space. But I wasn't overwhelmed, just felt like it was a little bit dirty. The toiletries were nice but then they nickle and dime such as charging $2.50 for shaving cream and for a shaver too! I mean, it's a hotel... things like that should be free. At the Hilton Garden Inn down the road, that would be provided for free.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

I'm so sorry we only earned 2 stars during your stay. You deserve better than that, for sure. I want to share with you that we are in the process of remodeling the property. We just added a new canopy to the entrance, the day after you visited! We are also updating all the room furnishings. The carpet and the bathroom vanities were completed last week. However, the glass entrance you speak of is called frosted glass. It's a little dated, so maybe that is why it was unappealing to you. It was actually made to cut the sun glare through the windows. We are thinking of redoing that as well, as I mentioned it is dated. I will check the shaving kit issue as I know we give away free razors and we should give away the shaving cream too! I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to better serve you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountain View
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto
The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel
#1 of 33 in Sunnyvale

Been to Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!