“Best Mexican food around!”
Review of Fiesta Del Mar - CLOSED

Fiesta Del Mar
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
San Jose
“Best Mexican food around!”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We've been going to this family run restaurant for years. The food is consistantly good, and my favorite dish is the beef enchiladas. The meat tastes like its been simmering for hours. Great seasonings and tender. They serve three different salsas with their chips which is nice. I even saw Steve Young there once!

• Visited May 2012

Palo Alto, California
“What's the fuss about?”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I know this place is extremely popular, but the food is fine, not great. It's popularity may spring more from its location near to Google and other Shoreline offices than truly great food. I went there with a friend for lunch after an early movie. Even though it was a Friday, at 1:30 the lunch rush was over and we were seated immediately and our food came quickly. Almost too quickly - it tasted like it had been assembled from steam trays - and it wasn't truly hot. The rice had carrots and potatoes in it, but was otherwise bland. The chicken enchiladas with a chili sour cream sauce were fine, but not memorable. My guess is that the food is probably fairly consistent and the servers are friendly and that these things account as much for its popularity as anything else. And sometimes comfort and familiarity are the things that do keep a restaurant going. I will say the chips tasted fresh and the salsa was good. But I would not go out of my way to return.

• Visited November 2012
SF Bay Area
“Great food, nice casual Mexican decor, but a small facility”
Reviewed 1 November 2012

This is our go to Mexican restaurant and we eat there regularly - it is one of the first places we go to when returning from weeks of travel. The decor is colorful and, surprise, reminiscent of Mexico. The restaurant is small and has no bar/lounge or waiting area, which can be a problem in bad weather unless you arrive quite early. The smallness means tables are close together and at times it can be noisy. This is the major shortcoming of the restaurant, because the food is great.

We have tried many of their dishes and have not been disappointed with any of them. There are many great shrimp dishes with the Shrimp Margarita being a favorite, as well as the usual burritos, fajitas, tacos, two very good soups and several really good house specialties. The chips and the three salsas are very good, but some may find the salsas a bit spicy. Be sure to try the sangria, the best I have had anywhere.

I took a friend, who grew up in the Southwest on Southwest/Mexican food and considers himself a "connoisseur" of such, to Fiesta Del Mar and he couldn't thank me enough for introducing him to such good Mexican food.

• Visited October 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Best Mexican food in nor cal! You must try!”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We Had the chicken enchillada w/ 100yr old recipe sauce and beef taco plate. Best enchilada and best taco I've ever had at a Mexican restaurant! Chips and all salsas were really good too! I grew up in so cal and this was honestly best mexican ive ever had! I will make a point to go anytime I'm in area. Try it. U will not be disappointed.

San Jose, California
“This place needs to be 5 times bigger”
Reviewed 28 August 2012 via Local Picks

The popularity of Fiesta Del Mar is evident when you approach the restaurant around lunch time. The line of Googledorks desperately seeking a reprise from the gourmet food in their 19 different five star cafeterias, snakes out of Fiesta Del Mar into the parking lot. Which leaves us lesser cretins of Silicon Valley to grovel for a space.

But once inside, you realize why it's worth the wait. The diverse menu with great shrimp dishes (the Shrimp Alex is a two Zantac dish) is one of the best in the Bay Area. The Margaritas and choice of tequilas is outstanding. Three salsas are provided with the chips. The guacamole could be a little fresher but apart from that, it's a great place - it just needs to accommodate more patrons (not more types of Patron but more people that want to eat there).