“A staple of Mountain View but not the best Italian place”

Ristorante Don Giovanni
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Don Giovanni is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 331 Restaurants in Mountain View
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Villa
Transit: One block from Downtown Mountain View Caltrain and Light Rail station. VTA bus lines 34, 35, 51 and 52 stop at the Villa and Castro intersection.
Description: Ristorante Don Giovanni welcomes you to enjoy authentic Italian cuisine on Castro Street in Mountain View, California. The warm and inviting atmosphere complimented by the Italian decor, makes this the place to celebrate any special occasion, romantic dinner, or just a simple home cooked Italian meal. Lunch and dinner menus include: Antipasti, Insalate & Minestre, Pasta, Rotisserie, Panini, and Fish along with an extensive Wine list and Full bar. Let Ristorante Don Giovanni provide you with excellent service and facility for your next event. We offer custom tailored menus that are just right for your breakfast, brunch, lunch, and/or dinner needs. Our facility can provide: TV * VCR * PA SYSTEM WITH MICROPHONES * POWER POINT * OVERHEAD PROJECTOR * WIRELESS MICROPHONE * FLIP CHART STAND/PADS/MARKERS * DIRECT PHONE LINES AND INTERNET ACCESS * MOTEL AND TRANSPORTATION ACCOMMODATIONS
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I went to DG with a large party so we had a room to ourselves and a couple of wait staff. The service was just ok. They didn't go above and beyond. The owner is Turkish I believe. I ordered the screw pasta with veggies in white wine sauce. It was ok. The taste is bland and the sauce was a bit too rich for me for wine sauce. One friend ordered the lamb shank(he said was very good, meat falls the bone and tender), another ordered the ravioli which looked really good, another friend ordered the veal but was having trouble find the veal in a sea of pasta, another ordered the eggplant Parmesan and did not want to finish, 2 friends ordered the skirt steaks which was the special night, looked pretty good too. I didn't finish mine either as I just picked the veggies and left the creamy pasta. Our water didn't get refilled throughout the night and only once throughout the 2+ hours we were there. At the end of the night, we decided not to order dessert and went to gelato next door. It's not the best Italian place I've ever had but they were the only place able to accommodate a group of 20 on Castro.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I can't say "the best" since I haven't been to all of them, but Don Giovanni is very good. An extensive selection of Italian food, including a lot of seafood, and a good wine list. Nice ambiente and the waiters seemed pretty authentic, too. I had the caprese folowed by pesto penne, the quality was very good but not really mind-blowing. Nevertheless I will certainly come again.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I love this place. Waiters are charming, good bar, great food. It is a great date restaurant. Call and make a reservation for a booth. It's more romantic. There are always 2 or 3 specials every night. A fish, a meat, and a pasta dish. One time I had a swordfish that was slightly tough, I mentioned it and the waiter whisked it away and brought me their delicious salmon instead. Very nice, no charge. I am always about the creme bruleé and theirs is excellent. You will not be disappointed by any of the pasta dishes. Afterwards walk a couple doors down and get a gelato! too.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This restaurant was open on Christmas evening and we had a reservation. The place was getting very crowded but there were 3 tables near us that became occupied after we arrived. All three of these tables had been served their meals, they were finished and paying their bills before we got our food. Every time we tried to get the attention of our waiter he waved us off and said, "Soon." Two of the four in our group ordered the beef filet special of the evening and the other two ordered pasta, nothing that should have required extra time. It took 60 minutes from the time we ordered to the time we were served. Both steaks were ordered medium rare and came out well-done, they were taken back and brought out again and they were cold and purple in the middle. This is when the manager became involved and he brought out perfectly grilled steaks, unfortunately the two of us who had ordered pasta were completely finished eating when the steaks arrived. We ate in shifts. They kept saying they were busy but if you are going to be one of a few nice restaurants opened Christmas evening and you have reservations booked for the entire night, you should have more help or you should have taken less reservations. They gave us a free dessert, it wasn't worth it. Also, at the next table a couple had two young children who were each allowed to watch different movies on their iPads without ear buds. Having to listen to Dora the Explorer during a nice meal is rude. When our children were young we had family conversations at restaurants. What is wrong with parents today? I know this restaurant has good food but the service was nonexistent on this visit.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Where to go to dine out on Christmas Day...Don Giovanni's. They were sooo busy and by no means was the quality skimped upon. Our waitress was cheerful and gave us the heads up that the kitchen was running slow due to the multitude of diners (greatly appreciated). Everything that came to our table of 6 was excellent. From the bread to the wine and the delicious food, not one complaint. The perfect choice for dining out on Christmas. Can't wait to go back again soon.