“Cute and funky - much better than your average chain hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Zico

Hotel Zico
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Portland, OR
“Cute and funky - much better than your average chain hotel”
Reviewed 31 August 2008

The Zico is a nice change from a standard chain hotel. The spanish-style building has been given a huge facelift, and the decorating has been done with class and a sense of fun. The room I stayed in was of average size. The linens and furniture were well-chosen and appealing. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a little cramped but very functional. The free breakfast was good, about on par with a standard business hotel, and much superior to a low-budget chain hotel breakfast.

I was only there two nights and did not need to interact with the staff very much, so I can't speak to the service, but my overall impression of the Zico is positive. Factoring in the price, the location, the food and the style of the hotel it is a good deal. I will definitely stay here again next time I am in the Bay Area on business.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Jon C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Redding, California
Reviewed 13 August 2008

When I arrived at the hotel I was happy that the outside apperance and lobby matched the description on their homepage. However, I was informed at check in that the hotel mis booked my room as a king instead of two queens, which I had a party of 4 with me. We were give one king room and then a "complimentary" room. The other half of my party's room was very much like the pictures and very satisifying. Mine however was nothing more or better than an average Motel 6 room. No decor or painting like the rooms and was just absurd overall. I only was given one pillow and the front desk clerk seemed to be unaware of a location of more. The 2nd floor also had a stench of a nursing home. The cooked breakfast was reasonable yet the walls are paper thin. If interested in staying I reccomend double confirming reseverations or staying completely some where else were you will receive the expectations you pay for.

• Liked — Complimentary breakfast, like Denny's but included in rate.
  • Disliked — Accommodations to meet client satisfaction.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Rockville, MD
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Excellent independent hotel near Palo Alto. A bit noisy if your room is in the back, and we had a few minor hardware issues with the cabinet in the room. But inexpensive for the area, and the free full breakfast is worth at least $7 to $10 a day. Free wireless internet too.
MUCH better than the Homewood Suites behind it.

• Liked — Good room, value, free full breakfast, free internet
  • Disliked — A bit noisy in the back
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I went up to Northern California for a family wedding at the Stanford Chapel. We stayed 3 nights in this lovely little hotel 15 minutes south of Stanford. I have stayed in $1000 a night rooms and not had as comfortable sleep as I did here. The decor is not cookie cutter - it is colorful and interesting. All facilites work really well. Everything from check in to check out was smooth and all good. The towels were good and thirsty; the linen on the bed was quality,comfortable and attractive. The rooms were well appointed and the bathroom was stocked with usefull goodies. The room was well lit and spotless as everything inside the hotel was. The breakfast was in a clean, attractive and well thought out facility and the food produced was hot and satisfying with good choices available.

We arrived a day early and were accomodated at the low rate I had for the other nights. Unfortunately, the young people in the room next to ours were loud with their music and late night partying. A word to the front desk and we were moved to a super quiet location. Which brings me to the location of the hotel. It is right off the 85 at El Camino Real. The outside gives no hint at the goodness inside as it shares a parking lot with another hotel. At no time do you ever realize you are right next to the freeway once at the hotel, as there is no freeway noise - just convenience. Room 125 is a great location. Oh and My Mom made comment of the ease of getting in and out of the hotel vs. the Sheraton or Westin. She went to my sisters room at the Westin and had to walk and walk and walk before she came to their room, after alighting from the lift! No such folly here! Easy come and easy go! I only wish there were more Hotel Zico's elsewhere!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — The entrance
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 13 May 2008

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Hotel Zico in Mountain View, CA. We had a room on the ground floor (103) with French doors that lead out to a shared patio that had a small table and two chairs and rarely used by our neighbors. I had my tea here in the morning and in the evenings we would play cards..until it got too dark. The room was very home-y and the colors are vibrant and fun.

The driveway for the hotel was right after the entrance to hwy 85 and very easy to find. Close to Walgreens and more important In-and-Out Burger! Room was clean, spacious, nice upgrades, kitchenette, small fridge, microwave. HUGE working table and office chair that was like a lazy boy. Although the location is right off the hwy it was very quiet. Front desk was always polite and available to help. Free breakfast was great, the ladies were so friendly and attentive. The room that breakfast was served in was really nice, very comfortable and a flat screen where you could catch up on the news. Clean and bright. Make sure to tip the hard working ladies!

Parking was ample / no problems. Second floor of hotel has a lounge with two computers. We did not use them because I did not discover them till the last day.

Nice fitness room - 4-5 pieces of new equipment.

We showed the place off to family staying at the Hilton down the street and they were really impressed too.

Yes, this was an older hotel that has had some upgrades and some new paint but overall I think they did a fine job and we would book here again if we stay in the area.

Another great big PLUS for this hotel is that they take steps to be green - such as low flow toilets, and making other suggestions for guests such as hanging your towel up. Linens are changed every two-three days. Being from the NW we appreciate these things and were more than happy to follow along. Kudos for doing your part Hotel Zico!

We booked the hotel packaged with an SUV rental from Orbitz, for our 4 night stay/rental we paid about $540, happily.

Cons: HARD bed! That is the next upgrade they should make - even an egg crate pad may even help! Thicker towels - poor quality, if you are asking us to "re-use" make it worth our while. One other suggestion would be to stock the kitchenette with some basic things (couple plates/silverware) - I'm not talking a blender but I did not see the point to all those cupboards!?

• Liked — Good Value, Hip, Free Breakfast, Patio off room, location
  • Disliked — HARD bed, lack of kitchen tools (plates/silverware) and cheap bath linens
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Europe
Reviewed 2 May 2008

If you're looking for a stunning outside facade or great views from your room, this isn't your place. But for the business traveler, I'm hard pressed to think of anything that was missing from the experience.

The hotel has modern furnishings within the spacious rooms-- large, comfortable beds, friendly staff, and luscious hot cooked breakfast, including an omlet station and *free* wired & wireless internet access.

Additional amenities are traveler friendly whether you're on business or just visiting free newspapers, and free breakfast.

It'd be the first place I'd book on a return trip.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Somewhere in the world
Reviewed 28 April 2008

I was VERY disappointed by this hotel. The worst I've stayed at in AGES.

The staff is clueless, unfriendly and unhelpful. The service they provide is awful. And I have a few examples of that...

Their "high speed" Internet was extremely unreliable throughout my 2 week stay. Let's put it simply: it didn't work half the time. When it worked, it was so slow that I couldn't even have a Skype conversation. I tested the speed and it was roughly the same as dial-up with many added dropouts. Guest computers were always broken: couldn't print when I needed to. Hey, this is Silicon Valley! We're IT professionals and -need- working Internet and business center! I chose this hotel because of the supposedly fast Internet connection because I needed to get some work done. That was just plain impossible.

When I mentioned that the guest computers were defective, the attendant argued with me that they were working. He then came to take a look himself and found out that they were in fact both defective (couldn't connect to any website, extremely slow, etc). He called their Internet provider and called me back later saying that they were 42 people online and that they were maxed out, just try again later. Maxed out at 42? Come on! It's an hotel! When I told him that I doubted that was the problem because I had the exact same issue the night before at 2am, he got angry and told me I could call them myself. Very rude and unprofessional.

Oh and btw, Internet was just as bad during the day when the hotel was empty. The "maxed out" excuse was totally bogus.

Their "gym" was a joke: 1 bike and 1 treadmill. My room was facing freeway 85, so it was EXTREMELY noisy. House keeping didn't always come.

My stay ended on another totally bad note. The shower broke! Literally, it stayed in my hands when I tried to move it. I had a plane to catch at noon so I asked if I could take a shower in another room. The answer was a simple "no" and that I had to wait for maintenance at 10:30am. But I couldn't wait, I had a flight to catch. They were of absolutely no help on this issue.

Will definitely not stay there again. This is the worst hotel ever with the worst staff.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — pretty much everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
#1 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Hotel Zico? Share your experiences!