“Very Pleasantly Surprised”
Review of Hotel Zico

Hotel Zico
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Always a little unsettling when you book a place sight unseen but this spot was wonderful. It will be our new home when visiting family in the Bay Area. Not perfect but close. Staff were wonderful, room was a good size and very comfortable and centrally located for the places we had planned to visit. Only negative was the entry to the property is right at the off ramp from the freeway which can be a little scary when trying to get in.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Zico

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Good location, close to freeway, and for under $150 a night, this is very good value for money. I have stayed there twice. The beds are surprisingly comfortable, rooms are good sized. Breakfast is great, fresh omelet made to order. I also like decor of the place, very tropical, though all the trees do make the place a bit dark. The only problem was that walls are very thin, I could hear someone walking upstairs all the time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2014

After driving around Santa Cruz and the Bay area- we decided to skip camping as it was busy and full of spring breakers, we happened upon the Hotel Zico. From the moment we walked towards the front door, it was like we were slipped into a slice of paradise! The hotel is just along a freeway so it is a little noisy...but nothing too crazy. The lobby is beautifully decorated, but it was the gentleman at the front desk that won us over. He was a very polite man who chatted with us and made the check in process very enjoyable. We had a room on the second floor which was very large and absoluetly beautiful! It was nice to see the thought put into the decoration in the room, with just small extras as wall hangings and tasteful knick-knacks. There was a great flat screen TV, desk and computer chair, and a sitting chair which provided more options than always sitting on the bed. There was also a beautiful patio/deck that opened up from our room that overlooked the beautiful landscape. (The deck is shared with other rooms, but there is enough space and each room has their own table and chairs on the deck.) The breakfast was also outstanding! All and all this is a great place to stay and the price was very affordable! I always read some of the bad reviews of places, and the ones for the Zico just do not make sense to me. We loved it!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed at Hotel Zico more than once as I travel to the Bay area often on business. Most recently I stayed for two nights on an interview trip. Overall the hotel has been fully refurbished and is general in great shape.

The bed is comfortable and the pillow menu is nice if you have a particular like/dislike. (I prefer flatter pillows) The hotel has snacks and drinks you can purchase right by the front desk like many hotels have.

As mentioned in other reviews it can be a bit tricky to get to - it's easy to find - harder to see that you have to go to the next light and make a u-turn.

I only had one problem when I tried to check out which was the the night clerk was sleeping at 4:30am and I couldn't rouse her. I even tried calling the hotel but no one answered. After about 15 min I was able to check out. Minor inconvenience but I was headed to catch a flight.

Anyway, I give this hotel 4 stars (very good) for a 3-star hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This place is so basic and old it really shouldn't be more than $100 a night. The rooms were old, the bathroom tiny, walls paper thin, breakfast was lame. For $355 a night this should be amazing. Only go here if you like wasting money.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Perfect 3 star experience. Comfortable beds, good showers, EXCELLENT internet (usually free internet is way slow). Breakfast was good with several choices (dry cereals, scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, potatoes, and an omelet bar!), but I would like to see more healthy options like Greek yogurts, more fruit choices (they had red delicious apples and oranges), and maybe some nice pastries. Ran into the manager (?) and he said they are already working on bringing in healthy options and it will be in by the time we come back. Location is good, on El Camino at route 85, so easy access to 101 and 280. Underground parking option is particularly nice.

This is our second time here and we have had no noise problems that some folks have mentioned. The hotel is set back from El Camino, so you avoid most of that. One side does face route 85, but that's not too bad. If you're worried, ask for a room away from that side.

Very nice people (it was slow when I cam in and asked about printed out our boarding passes for the next day, the night manager told me where the computer was... but then said, "I can do it for you"). It's near shops on El Camino, and has a nice Mediterranean vibe... we'll be coming back.

Room Tip: If you're worried about noise, ask for a room away from rt 85, if you want a balcony, ask for on...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Hotel Zico, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thanks for the kind words! You are so right about the healthy options at breakfast and in fact, we will be adding just what you mentioned, a greek yogurt bar! Stay tuned and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed for four days. I chose the hotel based on price, location, and availability of a gym. I found the service to be very good and the rooms quite comfortable. The gym was small, but had all the basics except free weights.
The hotel is very close to the highway so if you think the noise will bother you, get a room on the opposite of the hotel.
The breakfast was mediocre - it had an omelette stations, scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns etc, but no yogurt or fresh fruit (other than small apples and oranges.) Breakfast was included in the room price.
Each room had a kurig and 2 k-cups. I enjoyed that.

Room Tip: As I mentioned above, the hotel is right next to the highway, so if you're bothered by sound, as...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
#1 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Hotel Zico? Share your experiences!