“A Little Color”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Seattle
“A Little Color”
Reviewed 19 May 2009

So I picked it off the internet, read some reviews and hoped for the best...the price was right. I was not disappointed. I would stay again.

Pros:
My bed was immaculate and comfortable with nice linens and pillows. The housekeeping staff does a good job on the rooms. The full breakfast is a nice touch in a spacious, comfortable breakfast room. The hotel lobby/entrace makes a good impression with bright bougainvillea plants, and fountains. There is a pleasant bright blue color theme at this hotel. Bathroom fixtures are trendy. Cool faucet!. These little touches are a nice change from the McDecor of chain hotels. Overall, the staff was efficient, and responsive. The rooms very clean and comfortable and a much better than average value for the weekend rate ($59!!). Other pluses; hotel is within walking distance of shops and downtown. Mt. View. modern, bright, comfortable common area with tv and computers. In room wireless connection..reliable and quick. The hotel appears to be well managed.

Cons: Freeway noise(with open windows), airconditioners and the plumbing in your neighbors' rooms, could be distracting or a problem. Rooms with doors that open onto the common patio area that runs along one side of the building tend to be a bit noisier. The first room they showed me had a stale smoke odor, although all rooms should be non-smoking. Outside on the patio, there was a huge ashtray filled with cigarettes! Which probably wafts into the rooms ( the staff promptly changed my room). The bathroom lighting is a bit dim, the result of using trendy halogen track lighting. Bathroom door is a tight swing, nearly touches toilet. (You can tell this was once an old motel kind of place that has been updated). The furniture/walls had a few dings and scuffs, nothing major.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
san francisco, ca
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights during a business trip and loved this hotel. Best parts -- great pillows that were LABELED soft and firm (I hate firm pillows so I used the two soft ones), yummy free breakfast with fresh omelets, gym with an elliptical, very different and interesting decor. I'll definitely come back here.

The only negative was that I missed the entrance the first time and had to make a u-turn!

Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
california
Reviewed 30 March 2009

The tropical look and decor is pleasant. The rate was ok ( $120 for midweek),
The service was lousy. The frontdesk lady was LAZY, she was irritated that she had to interrupt her personal phone call to hand me a towel.( this was after we rang down asking for one and were informed that we needed to walk down and get one and yes, I did ask politely) The bathroom is very small and lighting in it is horrible, espcially for applying makeup. Cleanliness could be improved. This place might work for a low maintence person.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Rancho Cordova,CA
Reviewed 10 March 2009

I now live in the Sacramento area but grew up in Mtn. View. My Mom and sister now live in Washington and during their visit to me we came down see old friends, my favorite bookstores and the old familar places in Mtn View and vicinity.
I spent lots of time online looking for a reasonably priced place for us to spend the night and hoped to find something a little out of the usual hotel mode. I had nearly given up and thought we would have to spend $137 for a Holiday Inn Express when I chanced upon Hotel Zico. An internet special of $71.99 with breakfast and tax. Eureka!
We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. Our room was on the freeway side with french doors that open to a strip of patio with tables and chairs outside each room. Just what we hoped for.
While the freeway is very noisy once we closed the doors to our room we couldn't hear it at all. We seemed to be the only guests in this area and were grateful to be able to have smoke here, although it is a non smoking hotel which usually means a long walk. If any other folks had been enjoying their patio area we would gladly have taken that walk though.
This brings me to one of the two criticisms I have though. The staff should be more attentive to keeping such out of the way areas tidy. There was a "to go" coffee cup that had been used as an ashtray on another table when we arrived at 3pm and it was still there when we left the next day. A small detail but then details count.
My other criticism is when we returned to the hotel that night and realized one of two packets of coffee provided for our room was decaf the person at the desk had a hard time understanding that we wanted more regular coffee for our room and couldn't provide anything except more decaf. She also couldn't seem to tell us what time coffee would be available in the lobby or breakfast area. (being early risers and caffeine addicted this was important to us)
We shared a room with two queen size beds and had plenty of room both in bed and out. We all agreed the beds and linens were wonderfully comfortable and worthy of more lying about than we had time for.
Breakfast was all that you could ask for in a complimentary hotel breakfast and even a little bit more. Checking in and out was easy and pleasant. Undergroung parking was good. The decor was great change from standard hotel colors and esthetics. If there were a swimming pool it would be a tiny, affordable, slice of heaven.
We would be more than happy to stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed March 2009
Pleasanton, CA
Reviewed 9 March 2009

After shooting my wad of frequent guest points at another, nice hotel nearby (Holiday Inn Express), I needed a second night in the area and found the Zico reasonably priced with an Internet special of about $90 which includes a full breakfast including made-to-order omelets. It was well located for my needs nearby, and favorably reviewed. I arrived on a dark and stormy night. The driveway into the hotel (and another one on the same cul-de-sac) comes right after the ramp for Route 85, going North on El Camino. You need to be prepared to make that turn or you’ll wind up making a U Turn further up the road.

I was concerned about reports of road noise since the hotel is right above the highway. The front facing rooms have sliding doors out to shaded Spanish-style patios equipped with chairs and tables, but the back facing rooms, while missing this ‘extra’ have small windows looking on the parking lot and no noise. Earplugs not required. I wound up in this room by luck as the assigned room had not been cleaned to the embarrassment of the solo desk clerk. She was efficient, but not that friendly this evening, but she smiled later when I asked her for a remote control for the TV (mine was missing) which she retrieved from the unprepared room.

The room was nicely decorated with a fancy clear glass sink in the bathroom, a slightly noisy mini-fridge, and various artwork and ceramics on the walls. As noted in other reviews, this hotel was completed refurbished. I have to say “nice try, but keep working on it.” Not that there’s anything really wrong with the place, but just little things like they still had older TVs in the rooms. But I was here mostly to sleep and have a good breakfast – which I did, in a large lounge room which did have a big screen flat TV. Yeah, this was a pretty good place, bound to get better as the staff is trained and some of the kinks are worked out.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed 4 March 2009

I got a really good price for a king-bed room. Had I paid the average price, I would have been a little disappointed. But considering the very reasonable price and that Hotel Zico is a 3-star hotel, I am very happy with my stay.
Per feedback on other reviews, I asked for a room not facing the highway and they gave me one. Either my fellow mid-week travelers were very considerate, or it really was a quiet part of the hotel...or both! My manager had a room across the hall facing the highway and for me it would have been too noisy; she had no complaints.
Per reviews, I also learned to be ready to turn onto the property right past the highway entrance. So I had no problems getting in and out. The underground garage is a nice touch.
It is a renovated hotel. I love the color scheme of blues and bright accents. It's already showing wear and tear in the hallway carpet. There were a few spots of mold in a deep crease of the shower curtain and part of the tub surface had been scraped off. I loved the electric blue bathroom walls, but the lighting is a bit odd. The sink has a modern feel to it.
I like firm beds without all the padding and down comforters on them, so the bed was a little too soft for me and hot. I thought the room was a decent size and overall very comfortable. The old furniture is out of place with the modern look of the walls and bedding. If you like to sleep in a dark room, bring a blindfold because the built-in night light by the door is bright!
Breakfast was good for being what it is: warm foods (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns). I prefer these options over cold cereal, packaged muffins and hard-boiled eggs.
I found the staff to be helpful and responsive to my requests.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Silicon Valley, Baby!
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Underground parking included. The fountain needs some help. Non-obvious entrance at night. Staff is preoccupied with their laptop. Psychedelic background behind the counter. Bait and switch from king to double queen facing the highway. Room smells of humidity problems. This hotel is located on an interchange between a busy underpass and a six-lane divided road. You can buy ear plugs at add'l cost. Maid schedule is unique. Colorful decor and comfortable bed. No surprise charges. Free wireless.

• Liked — bed
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountain View
#1 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Hotel Zico? Share your experiences!