“Has potential but much improvement needed.”
Review of Mountain View Inn

Mountain View Inn
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Los Gatos, California
“Has potential but much improvement needed.”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed at this conveniently located hotel for almost 2.5 weeks on our summer vacation in July 2014. We wanted a solid, value-for-money hotel as a base for our daily excursions in the Bay Area, and chose Best Western, whom we've stayed with before in various countries.

Our first impression upon our arrival was that this was indeed it: The hotel looked OK (we would recommend management to update the pictures on the web site, though, to more accurately reflect what the hotel really looks like, as the current ones are a bit misleading in our opinion) and the staff at check-in was friendly and welcoming. The room was small but sufficient for our family of four (including two teenagers). The breakfast consisted of coffee/tea, different kinds of cereals, fresh fruit, yougurt, different kinds of juices, bagels, toast, pastries, eggs and bacon, and waffles. This was more substantial than we had expected.

The hotel had a pool area, which was nice. The drawback is that it is located next to a main road which makes it very noisy. A few plants would also make the pool area look a bit nicer.

The air-conditioned exercise room was small but sufficient; it had a crosstrainer, treadmill and a multi gym.

It's too bad that our initial positive impression did not endure. Our disappointment started when we discovered there was no safe in the room. This is more or less standard in all hotels of reasonable quality these days. Having to carry your valuables around for 2.5 weeks wasn't fun...

Housekeeping was inconsistent. At times, they didn't give us enough clean towels. Toilet paper and soap wouldn't be replenished, bathtub and sink weren't cleaned, bedsheets weren't changed (until we removed them from the beds), and the housekeeper would forget a trashbag on the sink. On several occasions, we had to go to the reception to get towels, toilet paper and soap. No apology was given for our inconvenience. Although not our nature, we escalated our dissatisfaction to management who appeared to take prompt action.

The breakfast area would run out of either bagels (stale on occasion) pastry, yougurt, fruit, cereal, halfway through breakfast, leaving only empty trays. On occasion, there actually was enough food - you just had to ask the staff to replenish...

The laundry machine also broke down and still wasn't repaired after more than a week. This was a major inconvenience for us.

Wifi was inconsistent as well, from acceptable to almost non-existent.

All in all, our experince with this hotel wasn't entirely pleasant. Sad to say, we're not planning on coming back and would not recommend this hotel until the above areas are addressed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
BW_PLUS_MVI, General Manager at Mountain View Inn, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Dear SEJAMS,

I appreciate your sharing your time with us to give us your honest experience. I can see there are things we truly excelled at and things we certainly want to improve. I am glad to share with you that our recent drive to make breakfast more unique and interactive is going amazingly well and I know if you give us the chance when in town next you will see how our typical service is now nothing but amazing and welcoming. We have additionally taken notation and added training for our room care teams and will be doing some upgrades in our guests rooms that are dynamic and fresh.

Instead of trying the rest, come back to the best in service and concern in creating positive stories. Feel free to call me directly and I will create a truly red carpet experience for your next stay with us. Wow is the word, and we will make you say it with a smile.

Your friend,
Michael Meredith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We drove 7 hours with kids and wanted to check in and sleep. We booked through "Hotels.com" and they had miss information when we booked like the number of guest, and the size of the beds. We received one King bed for 5 people. Ryan at the front desk was awesome and did what he could to make our stay great. Even though it was not Best Westerns fault he still went out of his way to make us happy. The Hotel is a no frills hotel, a bed, bath and TV. The AC was old and made one half of the room ice and the other half hot. If I was just rating service I would have given them a 5, but the rooms are only average.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Brian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share you inspirational experience with our team. I am super glad to report that we have a lot of amazing changes going on at the hotel in our rooms, amenities and breakfast. I want your family to be my personal guest on your next visit so you can check out these new changes and how we are highlighting our driven staff members as well.

I thank you again for your feedback as it drives us to exceed expectations and leave you inspired like our team did when checking in.

Yours,
Michael Meredith
Livermore, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked this room knowing there was breakfast included but when we got there many items were gone leaving us no other choice than to go somewhere else for breakfast The shower was extremely hard to work (room 109) I thought I was going to pull it out of the wall. Bathroom area small.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BW_PLUS_MVI, Front Office Manager at Mountain View Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
David H, I want to deeply apologize that your recent stay with us at the Best Western was dissatisfying. The staff and I strive to provide an exemplary experience during each guest's stay and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We will be using your feedback to implement improvements with our complimentary breakfast and working order of amenities within the guest room to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. Thank you for your time and we hope you will consider staying with us again when you return to the area. If you would like to further discuss your recent stay, please contact me directly at 650-962-9912.

Kind regards,
los angeles, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2014

No closet, no Kleenex dispenser, broken refrigerator, cheap-o lighting system that clicked off lights as I was reading, toylike coffee machine in room that made AWFUL coffee, very bad, patchy cell phone reception, weird, unfriendly desk clerk, candy bowl at reception desk now only a decorative item-- Another cost-saving move! AND the room was more than twice as expensive as when I stayed there last a year or two ago.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Susan H
Susan H, Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Mountain View. Your satisfaction is incredibly important to me, and after hearing your feedback about your recent stay, I want to deeply apologize that your stay was not an inspiring experience. I do personally appreciate you taking the time to share the service failures that you experienced so that I may use them to better our team and our services as our hotel is driven off of our guests feedback. As this type of experience is not typical of our service I have no doubt we can correct this quickly for the future.

Please contact me directly to let me know how I can improve your past experience with us and ensure that your future stays at the Best Western PLUS Mountain View Inn are inspirational. Thank you again for taking the time and effort to share this with us, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Mountain View hotels

San Diego, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have stayed at the Best Western Plus, Mountain View, CA a couple of times in the past and we still regard this destination as one of the best Best Western properties we have stayed at. We primarily visit in July to visit grandkids and attend the Los Altos wine and street festival (also highly recommended, nothing made in China). The rooms are clean, the staff friendly and the continental breakfast more like a full breakfast. The nearby restaurant, Buffalo Willy's, is also a treat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Richard S, thank you so very much for taking the time to tell others about your recent stay with us at the Best Western! The staff and I deeply appreciate your kind words regarding the hotel's cleanliness, guest service, and complimentary breakfast. I am so happy to hear your stay was excellent and that you were able to enjoy the Los Altos Art & Wine Festival. It is always a pleasure having you stay with us and we look very forward to your return!

If I can be of any assistance while planning your future travels to the Bay Area, please contact me at 650-962-9912.

Best regards,

Roanoke, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here for a 3 nights during business conference in the Palo Alto area. Parking is a little tight and be prepared to climb a steep driveway if you park in the back (which you will if arriving any time after 5 or 6) but unless you have problems walking it's not bad.

Free breakfast was okay, nothing to rave about, but your normal hotel stuff: cereal, some eggs, bacon, fruit, etc... and a wafel maker.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
BW_PLUS_MVI, Front Office Manager at Mountain View Inn, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Eric S, thank you for taking the time to tell other TripAdvisor travelers about your stay at the Best Western. Our team strives to create an inspiring experience for each guest and I am concerned that we did not exceed all your needs during your time with us. Please contact me directly to let me know how I can improve your past experience with us and ensure that your future stays at the Best Western PLUS Mountain View Inn are superior.

Kind regards,

Front Office Manager
650-962-9912
Orange, United States
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel is neat and clean with good parking areas. The room was clean and fresh. The room had a refrigerator and microwave. However, there was no freezer in the refrigerator. We left our bread and ice pack behind by mistake as we could not pack them in our ice chest. We slept well in the room. I don't understand why hotels have such fluffy pillows.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kent F, thank you very much for taking the time to tell other travelers about your recent stay with the Best Western! I know that there are many choices when booking hotels and lodging, no matter the destination, and I was delighted that you decided to spend your time with us during your travels. Thank you for complimenting the neatness and cleanliness of the guestroom. Also, I deeply appreciate your feedback regarding the refrigerator not having a freezer as you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Front Office Manager
Hotel Strata
#1 of 18 in Mountain View
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Mountain View

Been to Mountain View Inn? Share your experiences!