“I'd rather sleep in my rental car”
Review of Hotel Aria

Hotel Aria
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I understand that this hotel may be lower priced than other hotels in the area, but there's a reason for that. The whole place needs to be updated - hallways, lobby, especially the rooms. I heard that some of the rooms may have been updated, but not mine. I was immediately brought back to my childhood. If you ever wonder where your 70s/80s furniture and TVs went, this hotel scooped them up. Even the amenities in the room were as cheap as could be. There were no name soaps and shampoos. The soap was as thin as could be, felt like plastic, and when you used it, felt like sandpaper. Maybe this was the special exfoliating kind, but it felt like someone dipped a plastic rectangle in sand. Bring your own soap! I'd rather they cancel the free breakfast, and put the money back into the rooms for some necessary updating. The breakfast here was a notch below holiday inn and hampton inn free breakfasts. Nothing fresh, all frozen and microwaved. You may want to go out instead.

We travel quite a bit and have been spoiled by some good hotels and vacation spots I guess. I couldn't wait to leave this place.

One bright spot, the person behind the front desk was nice and helpful in arranging for my taxi to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room, rumor has it they did update some.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NHFam
There are newer reviews for Hotel Aria

Reviewed 3 June 2014

So, agreed, its not a Sheraton or a Hilton or a Shangri-La. Yes, it needs a fair bit of TLC and updating ( the room TV's in particular are DIRE). My room even had a ripped net curtain and for the price I paid I had expected better until I saw the prices at the other places :-).
However, it was clean, well run and spacious for a business traveller for a few days. Also well located and easy to find with adequate parking. The staff were a blast and check in was smooth and simple. So what's not to like?

Would I go back? Probably, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was on a business trip and my hotel was overbooked so they put me up in the Hotel Aria. It was late when I arrived. I didn't pay for the night but the amount on the "letter" from the other hotel was $359 for the night so a bit pricey but that was probably closer to a rack rate. The check in was a bit slow but I figure that was due to the unexpected nature of the stay. It just seemed like they were very laid back and in no hurry to get me into my room even though it was late. They put me up in a room way in the back so it was quite a walk but over the gym so that was a nice short walk in the morning.
The room itself was nice 1 bedroom suite. It had a refrigerator, microwave and couch along with a desk and TV. The TV in the outer room and bedroom were the old CRT types and I didn't use them at all but they weren't what you are seeing in most hotels anymore. The bathroom was in between the living area and the bedroom and the tub was a spa tub with a shower. The bathroom had obscured glass block to the bedroom and a door to the bedroom and the walkway so you could enter the bathroom from two areas. There were 2 A/C units and you had to use both to cool it down. They weren't too loud and that made it easier to sleep. They provided free WiFi which wasn't super slow at least not at the late hour and the room carpet was clean but old and frayed in some places. The bed was comfortable and slept well.

The gym was small and had a couple treadmills and two elliptical machines and a TV. The ones I used operated well and there were towels for your use.

They had a breakfast in the morning that I would rate between a Hampton and Homewood type breakfast. They had eggs and some other hot items and dry foods such as cereal and danish. Plenty of items to drink including water/milk/juices.

Parking at the hotel is tight as is most of California spaces but it's free which is good. Overall I'd recommend it but not paying that type of money for the stay. They should update their TVs in the rooms and carpet needs to be replaced soon. Other than that though the night stay was very good and I'd stay there again if need be.

Hi

At the outset , thank you for your kind feedback .

Though not by choice , we are glad that your stay with us was satisfactory and hope it makes you try us again for your future visits to the Bay area .

Best

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. "Nice" hotels in the area are outrageously expensive -- $500 per night. Then there are "discount" hotels, most of which are junk (check out my review of Best Western in Menlo Park). This hotel was very reasonably priced, was recently remodeled and clean. Like most of the hotels, it is right on El Camino Real, but unlike most it was very quiet -- couldn't hear the traffic noise at all. I've lived in the area for over 20 years, and have stayed at dozens of hotels.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Randy R

Hi

Thank you for taking the time in giving us a feedback !

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay and we would certainly like to have you come back .

Best

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The room was clean; the bed was comfortable; and the hotel is located close to Google. Other than that, I was extremely disappointed.
The front desk staff was not very welcoming or helpful.
The breakfast was really bad. The "hot" breakfast appeared to be frozen hashbrown squares and omelette-things that were most-likely microwaved that morning. The fruit was not fresh. It appeared to be canned fruit cocktail dumped into a serving bowl. The toaster was broken. The cereal was stale. For the price per night they should be able to buy a new toaster and provide a better breakfast.
I think the television in my room was from my grandma's yardsale in 1989. Thankfully they had wi-fi so I could watch a show on my laptop.
The complimentary soap and shampoo that is expected at three star hotels was the cheapest quality possible.

1  Thank Dwilk828

Hi

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay . While we would certainly look into the feedback and work on that , we would appreciate you giving us a try again and gain a different perspective of what we are !

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed here on business a while back. From the outside it looks like a discount motel, but once inside it was clean and the guy at the front desk (forgot his name) was very helpful through out my stay. I was offered a free USA today and chocolate chip cookie on check in, which is a nice touch to make you feel welcome right away.

The rooms in this hotel are pretty dated, but clean and well maintained. I got a jacuzzi room and while I wasnt expecting much, the tub was huge and the shower head was excellent. There is a little fridge and microwave (both looked about 15 years old), but they worked and were nice to have on hand. The bed is decent, and the hotel was quiet while I was there so sleep quality was good. The main complaint I have is that the towels they give you are like sandpaper, along with the bar soap. However, for the price compared to the big chain hotels located nearby, this place offers a good value and served my purpose well.

The morning breakfast buffet is complimentary, and while they offer a decent selection (cheese omelettes, bacon, sausage, toast, muffins, oatmeal,cereal, juice, coffee etc), the taste of most of the warm items left something to be desired. That said, its complimentary, and convenient. All in all, I would gladly stay here again when I am back in the area on business.

One other thing. The hotel is a short drive to Palo Alto and San Francisco / San Jose. There is a chinese restaurant down the street called Chef Chu's that is world famous and serves great food. He's been in business almost 40 years and served an amazing collection of world leaders, athletes and celebrities. Check it out.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank shaaley
Aria2700, Manager at Hotel Aria, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Hi

Thank you for taking the time in giving us a feedback . We appreciate it .

We are glad that you had a comfortable stay and we look forward to have you back again.
We would certainly take your observations into consideration to improve where needed.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here while on business so its the client's preferred hotel. Its a remodelled older hotel/motel.

Advantages:
+ Very nice breakfast.
+ Good shower and good bed
+ Good housekeeping

Disadvantages:
- Noisy rooms / thin walls
- Very strict cancel policy
- Mgmt lacks customer focus

I notified them same day late afternoon pst my flight from Dallas was cancelled due to weather and would be one day late. They told me no problem at the time. When I checked out, I noted a charge for the night I cancelled. They said they had to charge me because they were booked the night I cancelled? Then proceeded to tell me they notified me I would be charged for that night when I called to cancel. Of course they did not but seemed very well prepared for the whole story. Why would I have proceeded to stay there if that were true? I ended up paying for 2 hotels for one night for circumstances beyond my control. I don't know, is that the typical policy everywhere? I doubt Marriott would do that but who knows. If I'm wrong, take what I have to say with grain of salt.

Its too bad when everyone else is trying to do a great job and mgmt places reputation at risk with short sighted decisions to add to the coffers at the customers expense. Check out other options locally.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank blogue
Hotel Zico
Hotel Zico
#4 of 18 in Mountain View
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel

Been to Hotel Aria? Share your experiences!