“Cramped breakfast room, service just adequate”

Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Toronto, Canada
“Cramped breakfast room, service just adequate”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel was our last stop on a family trip to California, we used it as a gateway to San Francisco. Since this hotel was the third Residence Inn of a 12 day trip, we really got the feel of a "low end" property.

For people who have stayed at a Residence Inn, most things such as room decor, amenities and breakfast are standardized, but how they are presented and delivered is what makes the difference! Things in this place just didn't flow how they were supposed to. The breakfast area was cramped, yes there is extra space upstairs, but I didn't dare negotiate the steep staircase with my hot cup of coffee and cereal on a tray! I applaud the environmentally responsible thing, but not when there are not enough clean dishes to serve all your guests.

In every other hotel on our trip, staff asked us if there is anything they can get for us - at this hotel we had to find staff and ask them for things which should have been provided. One item I enjoy personally is the complementary daily newspaper, which every other Residence Inn had seven days per week - when I asked for one here, I was told that they don't pay for delivery of the Sunday newspaper. Not a major problem, but it served to underscore the "vibe" of the place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AK4700
MtnView_ResidenceInn, Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Hello AK4700,

It is our pleasure to have accommodated your family travel suites on your San Francisco Trip Getaway! I am glad to hear that you are an avid valued traveler with the Marriott Residence Inn brand as you mention that it was the 3rd one on your family trip! I hope that you were able to accumulate Marriott Rewards Points for your stays! It disheartens me to hear that you felt Residence Inn Mountain View was not up to par as the other hotels throughout your stay.

The Residence Inn Mountain View has lots of room for improvements and I am delighted to say that a Gatehouse Lobby Renovation is in our future. It is imperative that we help our guests feel welcomed in our lobby and make up for the smaller size area. Unfortunately the USA Today Newspaper only provides select weekend newspapers and Wallstreet Journal does not provide weekend newspapers. Our employees are the gems of the hotel and every department strives to enhance guest stays. We ensure growth and improvements, and hope that you and your family will be out for another getaway to give Mountain View a redeeming chance. Thank you very much for your honest review as we can only improve.

Amy Miyashita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
Vancouver
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I don't like this hotel overall. I don't find it comfortable for their prise. It's old and very outdated to the point that things are not working in this hotel.

Very noisy from the street and from A/C outside of each floor unit. Alarm goes on from the bathroom steam. Old small kitchen appliances. Brocken coffee machine.
Room cleaning could be much better.
Small swimming pool facing the street.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank aforp
MtnView_ResidenceInn, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear aforp,

I would first like to thank you for choosing the Residence Inn in Mountain View for your travel accommodations. I am disheartened to hear that our services and hotel were not at best for you, our valued customer and guest. The suites are intended to be your "home away from home" and we value each stay with us. I want to thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review, honest feedback on what we can do to improve our guests’ stays are priceless. The broken coffee pot and cleanliness of your suite is highly important to us and your experience, improving these things to enhance guest visits is the goal of Marriott. Hearing these improvements straight from our guests is how we are going to improve your next stay and future stays for other guests.

Travellers are raving about these Mountain View hotels

Kearney, United States
Reviewed 12 September 2013

As a woman who travels on business every week, safety is important. This hotel is nice, but it's one of the Residence Inns that is more apartment-like than hotel. I made a mistake when booking this, I usually check things like this out. Being "safe" (or neurotic), I checked the sliding glass doors which had a bar, but they were also not opening up to ground. Checked the window next and it slid right up, could not get it to lock with all my might! Could lift it up from the outside, right outside my door. The door has to be leaned on heavily to dead-bolt. Management tried- 2 times a maintenance guy. Then they said no rooms available (correct- no rooms within 45 min.!!!) and then produced some "bolts" that I accepted on the windows. Replace these windows, Marriott. Important to a girl like me!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gina M
MtnView_ResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Gina,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate the feedback that you provided us. There is always room for improvement and I thank you for bringing your encounter to light. I will make it a priority to ensure all the windows are thoroughly checked and if any have been damaged, are promptly replaced. Your security along with all our other guests is of the utmost imprtance.

Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We were part of a group that stayed here for a collegiate competition at Stanford. The location was perfect - although if you didn't see the sign from the road you would have missed it - tight turn in to the parking lot. The staff was very friendly. We enjoyed the breakfast - although the room did seem a bit small for a large group of people. We loved our room - it was clean and our location was quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms in the center of the complex away from the road are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Andrea,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to review the Residence Inn Mountain View. We were honored to accomodate your Group! I know our Gatehouse is on the quaint side and I hope the next time we accommodate your group, we can offer more seating in our breakfast seating upstairs or (my favorite) near the pool. Thank you again and good luck on the next competition!

Sincerest Regards,
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We checked in around 3 PM. The room didn't have a working airco. So after some complaining they switched rooms. The room was dark, very little light (you have to get the upstairs rooms here). Although the airco worked, it leaked onto the carpet so every time you walked to the bathroom you walked through soaking wet carpet, and there was an odor of mildew. Desk staff was less than pleasant and not at all accommodating. Would not stay there ever again.

Room Tip: Only stay if you can get an upstairs room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Susan G
Dear Susan,
I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I understand that your stay was not up to your expectations. While we try to make every room perfect for our guest's arrival, there are times when things go wrong. And for this, I am truly sorry. If you could please email me at mountainviewgm@ih-corp.com, I would love the chance to make your "not-so-perfect" experience, better.

Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Pune, India
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Overall a very good experiece. I was there for almost 3 months, it felt like home away from home. Amazing and helpful people and the offerings were just amazing. The location of the place was just perfect too, got real good experience with all the good restaurants around in the area.

Room Tip: Chose the rooms which are not on the main road, there is noise on the main road.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Deepak,
Thank you for kind words. I am extremely excited to hear that your experience was a great one. When being in a hotel for 3 months, you are able to get to know the great staff that we have here. And our guests are what make our day, every day.

Thank you for being our guest and I hope we can accomodate you again on youre next travels to the area.

Best,
Pune, India
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I had travelled to PA last September and stayed at this hotel with last minute booking as the hotel is usually busy during this part of the year. I stayed for a period of 2 months and my stay was very nice, The hotel people had given me rooms closer to the entrance but a peaceful section as my stay was long. I liked the room service with attention to minute details. Evening snacks thrice a week was very nice, but closed a bit early too.
Since I am a partial non-vegetarian I would appreciate if the breakfast included more items in vegetarian.

Room Tip: Buildings 2-4 are best according to me near to the entrance but less noise
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Hello Nayak,
I want to thank you for taking the time to review the Residence Inn Mountain View. I am very happy to hear that your stay was pleasant for the 2 months that you were our guest. I would love the opportunity to accommodate you again on your next travels to Palo Alto / Mountain View area. We have had many concerns about the vegetarian options, so please know that we have incorporated more items that add more variety. Hopefully you will be back to enjoy!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountain View
Holiday Inn Express Mountain View - S Palo Alto
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Mountain View
Residence Inn Palo Alto Los Altos

Been to Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View? Share your experiences!