“Poor service - do not recommend”

Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have stayed at Residence Inn for a longterm stay of 20 days and unfortunately had a terrible experience. The place is overall nice-looking, but the service was terrible which made me feel very un welcomed as a guest. Below are concrete examples. I regret having booked this hotel and do not recommend it!

Several times during my stay, the maid took part of my cloths by accident with the bed sheets. While this is no problem once, when Also I had to chase after my lost things myself, while the receptionist first told me that that can not happen and I was wrong.

I am a Marriott Gold Elite member and inquired for an upgrade at check in time. I was told that it would not be possible to upgrade me the entire time which I understand. I was told I could receive an upgrade in the last week of my stay, a specific moving day was named. I had a friend visiting in the last week and was looking forward to the larger suite. The day my friend arrived, the reception told me that they had in the meantime sold the larger room to another guest. This is ridiculous. I have been upgraded in other Marriott hotels and it is supposed to be a service to the guest who stayed for a long time at Marriott hotels. You can not sell the room anymore once an upgrade is done!

Lastly at check-out I requested the receipt to be issued to my company instead of me personally. Because there was a long line at reception and I had to leave to the airport, the receptionist told me that I will be emailed the corrected receipt. I never receive the receipt. I called the hotel and another receptionist told me they do not know about my request and will double check and get back to me. Two days later with no info from the hotel, I called again and was told that it is the hotel's policy that no change to the receipt can be made after check out!

I paid more than 5.000 USD to this hotel for such disappointing and frankly annoying experience. I will never go back again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Muenchener_Gourmet

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here on my first business trip to US. The location is excellent, right on El Camino Real, near by Mountain View downtown, CalTrain station, and decent restaurants walkable from the hotel. Added bonus my office was just 3 miles. The rooms are cozy and comfortable with a decently stocked kitchen, and a huge bed. The breakfast was good, but there wasn't much variety, as most of the breakfast items were the same everyday. There's a Hertz store right opposite the main gate, and the bus service on El Camino Real can take you everywhere around the Bay Area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel is in excellent location and good condition. Close to shopping and restaurants. Nice courtyards that you can sit in to enjoy the outdoors. The rooms were clean, spacious and well designed. Small kitchen and living room makes for a comfortable stay. The staff could not have been more helpful. Great options for breakfast. I highly recommend and will plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

After a long day of college tours and travelling Morgan at the front desk was so accommodating to make our stay comfortable for our family of 5. Nice property and great service! We got a nice suite in the back with trees and very quiet, woudl definately stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank staci111
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Was there for two long stays. Overall, it is what I've come to expect for a home away from home. Large room with enough amenities to make it feel like home. Large frig, breakfast bar. The maid service is very efficient and does a good job. The breakfast is certainly all you can eat, though most mornings I had to be out before it opened at 6:30. Front desk is very helpful. Manager was supportive. Fitness center has one elliptical, two treadmills, and free weights. Good enough for me. Only concern is that the rooms next to El Camino Real are loud. Needed ear plugs. But most rooms are not next to the highway.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I just spent 3 nights at the Residence Inn in Mountain View. Everyone that worked at the hotel, from the Front Desk, to Breakfast/Happy Hour Servers, to Housekeepers were very friendly and super efficient.

However, I felt that the hotel was lacking in other areas. The heating/cooling in my room never worked properly. It was 80 degrees in the room when I checked in and it took over 24 hours for it to cool down to 70 where I had it set. And then by the day I left, it had sunk down to 66 degrees, even though it was still set to 70! Also, there was a broken drawer in my bathroom area that stuck out at an awkward angle. And the buildings and grounds just looked a bit dingy.

However, my room was spotless, and so was the breakfast area. Speaking of breakfast, it included lots of choices and was plentiful. I also took advantage of the Happy Hour spread one night as my dinner.

I found the area to be convenient, with several shopping centers close by and downtown Mountain View (i.e. Castro St.) a quick drive away.

Bottom line, for the price paid, I expected a bit better. However, given the proximity to my company's offices, I would consider staying here again but will most likely try some other choices first. FYI. I am Platinum with Marriott and the Front Desk clerk was quick to acknowledge my status, had a gift bag waiting for me, etc. No upgrade from what I paid for, but I knew the hotel was full during my stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
MtnView_ResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Mountain View. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. As a Platinum guest we appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and value your feedback. We know that you travel frequently; therefore, I am pleased to hear your comments in regards to our staff. We strive to give our guests excellent service while making them feel appreciated and welcome. Your comfort and satisfaction are our top priority. I apologize that your room was not up to standard during your stay with us. We are aware that our hotel needs an update and we are happy to tell you that there are plans for our hotel to receive a renovation next year. Once again your feedback is greatly appreciated and we hope the to see you again the next time you travel to Mountain View.

Adam Sahagun

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Was here for a business trip for a week. Two level rooms with separate bathrooms allowed sharing without too much sharing. Would like suit a family well although the stays might pose a problem for small ones.

Rooms themselves were pleasant. Clean and well serviced.

Plenty of parking. Be wary of the main road - El Camino - gets very busy early and late on.

The main building has a pool - not big and right next to the road. Breakfast was decent enough. There are some restaurants and eateries nearby and a couple of 24 hour stores.

Decent enough

#1 of 18 in Mountain View
Hotel Zico
Hotel Zico
#3 of 18 in Mountain View

Been to Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View? Share your experiences!