“A Refugee of Garden and Farm in the Heart of Zen”
Review of Green Gulch Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Muir Beach
Green Gulch Farm
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Anyone is interested in studying Zen, please check Green Gulch Zen Center in Marin County. Its a nice short drive from Golden Gate Bridge. There is a nice flower garden and quite spacious vegetable farm tended by the Zen Practitioners. It is connected to the Tassajara Zen Center, where they make home made bread. On Sundays after the Morning Zazen, you can have soup and salad and bread for lunch. They keep the Toilets in particular also very clean. There is a beautiful line of Redwood Trees entering from the parking lot, its like you enter into another world. In the middle of Northern California, you see a hall of Japanese Zendo. The Founder was Shrunyu Suzuki from the Dogen Zenji Lineage of Japan. He also founded San Francisco Zen Center and Tassajara Spring Reatreat Center. Also there is a nice walk going to the beach passed the horse stables. One time, I cross path with Yamaguchi Roshi, a female Teacher visiting from Japan, with her apprentices beaming bright smile greeting each other in Traditional Buddhist Way. Very Memorable the Bright Smile stays.....

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Iks S

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Green Gulch Farm is a first and foremost a Zen Center. They do have a wonderful, non- luxurious Guest House, where you can stay for a very reasonable rate in a beautiful and peaceful setting. The rate also includes three very delicious vegetarian meals, often prepared with food grown on the organic farm the Center runs. You can walk to Muir Beach from Green Gulch, through the gardens, farm and public lands, there are many trails. I also recently attended as a guest practice retreatant, where I worked with the community for half the day (until noon). The price is cut in half for this. I also participated in the zazen (meditation) everyone was very helpful.
To enjoy your stay as a regular guest or a guest retreatant, you have to go with the understanding of the purpose of the facility, and an attitude of respect for the community. If you do this, you will have an amazing experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank elm1215
Reviewed 23 May 2009

First of all, I'd like to just mention that this is not a hotel or an amusement park...it's a zen center and monestary. They don't take people off the street as far as I know as guests.

Second of all, I feel it's a bit unfair to allow 1 youthful review of this place stand and it be so unfairly unbalanced. The Green Gulch that I saw, if it had any problems, was not due to any of the residents there. Some people who come to a place like this don't really have much respect or composure and do not seem to realize that it's a religious center, basically a temple. Most do, but some do not. My wife and I only got to take a zoom tour of the place due to the fact that we were trying to catch a flight out soon after our visit. I came away truly peaceful just from hearing a dharma talk (or maybe 1/3 of it) and seeing the place first hand. I know from experience that some younger kids are not always very respectful at zen centers and can be immensely disruptive and inconsiderate of others...

Thirdly, the dharma talks I've heard online and in person at SFC centers are typically quite good and quite profound and Green Gulch Farm was no exception there. Great dharma talk, great spirit (from most of the vistors and staff) and overall nice residents as far as I can recall. Not a good place to take young kids or to go visit just for the heck of it...unless you can enter with respect for zen and other people.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
13  Thank TheAvidTourist
A TripAdvisor Member
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 22 December 2005

I was at Green Gulch Farm for the Fall Practice Periode of 2002. While I was there I was told to be a certain way or not this way. Before I ever went to Zen Center I was told by Senior Dharma Teachers at Zen center that we are all perfect just where we are but that the intensity of our own desire to wake up is the important thing. Now years later when I desired to return to practice they tell me that we don't want you. We feel due to how you behaved while you were here that you need psyc. help. I am a collage graduate and a seeker of truth and understanding. I just don't feel that they truly want to realy help any one Wake up! For I will continue on my ownlike the Buddha and I will reach the other shore but not from the help of anyone at Zen Center.

Stayed: August 2002
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to Green Gulch Farm? Share your experiences!