“must book even mid-week”

The Pelican Inn Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Muir Beach
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Arriving around 6pm mid-week we walked through the restaurant part of this typical English pub. The farthest part of the restaurant which was almost a lean-to extension was the only area with laid tables and a few customers. We were welcomed but within a minute another waitstaff came in and, looking at some notes, pleasantly apologised as all the tables were booked, mainly (we understood) by guests staying there.

We were invited to eat at the pub side and walked through the dark, empty, inner restaurant and around the corner into the small pub side, which seats 20-25, and was almost full with very casually dressed couples, many in shorts, who seemed to be locals. We were given both the pub and the restaurant menu.

The pub menu offered some salads, a soup, and mainly English pub staples like beef stew, shepherds pie, bangers and mash, fish & chips. Prices were $7-12 apart from the fish & chips which was $16 and was also on the restaurant menu at the same price. The restaurant menu was fancier, with chicken, lamb, beef Wellington, steak, roast beef and the like; most entrees were between $30-36.

We shared an excellent, crispy battered fish with OK fries and went back the next evening for the same (we were staying nearby and there's nothing else within 15" down some hairpin bends - and it's not as easy as you'd think to find crispy deep fried battered fish back in England, the home of fish& chips). The portion was large so we took away the shepherds pie for later, but it was disappointing; we couldn't finish as it was too bland and gloopy.

There were only 2 staff in the whole place so far as we could tell. On our first visit they nicely asked us to call after 9.30am next day if we wanted to make a booking as they were not authorized to do so.

There are newer reviews for The Pelican Inn Restaurant

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We dropped in this delightful little Inn on our way out to the Marin headlands in order to book a table for dinner on our way back. I had visited a few times over the last 10 years and it had always been very busy. We returned about 30 minutes before our reservation time and we were greeted warmly like a regular customer and shown straight to our table. I ordered a (imperial) pint of Fullers ESB which was delicious and noticed a crack in the glass. Our server efficiently took the drink away. The bar tender promptly returned with a fresh pint and apologized for the problem. Yes - you would expect no less, but it was handled very professionally - they really appeared to care. We liked that the menu was not too extensive and overwhelming and settled on the Beef Wellington and the salmon. What a great choice, both were well prepared and tasty. The roast beets were outstanding.
The only real negative was the building itself (including the Pelican sign outside) - it really is showing it's age and is in need of a good overhaul. I am sure due to the location, the weather gives it a good beating

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Okay so I am a Brit. From London. I need to declare my perspective as a reviewer.......

I had the pleasure of cycling on the trails on the Marin Headlands. Stunning scenery and even more stunning weather. I cannot imagine a more sublime day out.

Having worked up a hellluva thirst - three people I met along the way said "You must visit the Pelican Inn, you will love it". The Pelican Inn bills itself as a taste of 16th Century England ..... now of course why a Brit would want to go to a British style pub in California makes no sense. But I think the comment reflects that they love it and want me to have a good time. So thank you.

It was an idyllic setting and the customers did seem happy. But I have to take issue with the quality of the food. The quality was truly awful, and judging by the quantity of the food on the plates there were many people who thought as much. The Irish stew, looked by far the worst. It all looked bad. But the fish and chips was probably the best of a bad lot.

Traditional British cooking has com on a long way since the 70s, and pub food has come on a very long way since then. The quality that teh great British public demand is much higher - and gastro pubs are meeting it.

I feel embarrassed if you think us Brits eat food like that and would rather that you had a much better impression. Having said all that the novelty factor of the pub and the fantastic scenery made for happy customers. So go and enjoy a drink ......but eat on the way

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We've stayed here and dined here about 4 times over the last 5 years. This unique inn is simply charming with a wonderful location near the beach. The food isn't bad but there's really nothing special about it. As pub food goes, it's just so-so. And considering their location in California with wonderful produce, meat and seafood abounding, it should just sparkle and it doesn't. I had a shrimp and vegetable dish and H. had prime rib: zzzzzzz. I had oatmeal for breakfast and it was pretty good. Our server was a joy. Come on guys, step it up!

Reviewed 3 April 2014

When staying at the Inn, eating there was not just convenient but very good. Breakfast was a complete English breakfast and very well done.