“Highly recommend this B&B”
Review of Dunbar House, 1880

and 1 more site!
Dunbar House, 1880
Ranked #3 of 4 Murphys B&B and Inns
California
“Highly recommend this B&B”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We had a very nice stay at the Dunbar House. The location is central to downtown Murphys. Our room was lovely and quiet (Sequoia). The proprietors were professional and friendly. We loved the "extra" touches.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Mr. [--], the self-proclaimed Innkeeper, would not answer the door when we rang the bell because we had our grandson with us and unbeknown to us, they do not accept kids. I found myself looking through the window in disbelief to see Mr. [--] just standing inside, right next to the door, looking at us in the rain getting wet and not even trying to address our needs or inquisitive stares. We had just travelled over a considerable distance to enjoy in the hospitality and warmth of the Dunbar House. There were some strong rain/snow storms and all of our clothes were getting wet. I was totally shocked to get this type of treatment. Very unprofessional Mr. [--]. I really find it quite hypocritical when a company claims one thing and acts completely differently. And I quote a historic bed and breakfast inn that offers guests fine accommodations, hospitality... this has not been my experience. Rich you should be ashamed of yourself. No apology or gracious gesture will repair this family's trust in your establishment. It is no wonder you are trying to sell the Dunbar House. You probably need to get out of the hospitality business. Seeing as though you now leave families standing outside in one of the worst rain/snow storms we have seen in years. Good luck to you sir. I hope such a misstep does not befall your journey, because it is very unpleasant.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Skipy33
DunbarHouse, Owner at Dunbar House, 1880, responded to this review, 4 April 2011
When people ring my doorbell, I answer the door…always. When people ring the FRONT doorbell, it rings in the kitchen, office, garage, apartment, greenhouse and laundry room, and does not stop ringing until the intercom is answered. When guests are scheduled to check in, I carry a portable and keep it on vibrate so that while I am with one guest, I am notified when another guest arrives and rings the front doorbell.

As you walk up to Dunbar House, the first door is the Dining Room door, which has an Ornamental door ringer that turns but does not ring as it is for decoration only. However, there is a sign bolted next to the door stating “Deliveries Only” which points to kitchen door, and another that reads “Reception” with arrows pointing to the front entrance where guests are received. There is also a visible sign at the foot of the steps indicating that reception is to the left.

I do not understand how you could state that you were standing at the door in the rain getting wet, as you can see by the photos on our website, that Dunbar House has an 8 Foot deep wrap-around porch which provides shelter from the elements.

I am sorry that you made plans to come to Dunbar House, and travelled over a considerable distance to enjoy Dunbar hospitality, not knowing whether or not I had accommodations for you, as you did not call me, or notify me in any way that you would be arriving. I’m also sorry that you did not call to inquire about Dunbar’s policies before traveling such a distance, as I would have let you know that Dunbar House is an intimate, romantic and private haven for adults only, and that this information is also posted on my website, as well as others, and on all literature.

I was checking guests into their room when we saw you peering into their bedroom window, which is by the front reception door, and I immediately answered the door. When I answered the door, you were the only person standing at the door, no one else was with you on the porch, and you stated to me that your family was in the car. I politely informed you that we were an adult only facility, and that Murphys Suites, which is down the street, accommodates children.

I am sorry that you felt that I was not able to meet you and your family’s needs due to the fact that Dunbar is an adult only facility.
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 22 October 2010

My mom and I enjoyed staying at the Dunbar House so much. It was wonderful and every detail was filled with luxury. The room was cozy, warm, and outstanding. We really felt spoiled, because when we entered our room there was a fire going and the refrigerator was full. The breakfast was excellent. Rich and Arline are the best, and so helpful and informative.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Suffern, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2010

The moment we stepped inside Dunbar House, it was like stepping back into 1880 with all the charm, elegance and grace of an era long since passed, where we were greeted warmly by Arline, the owner.

We stayed in the Sequoia room which is beautifully decorated with rich burgundy colors. It was fun to experience the room as there were so many wonderful touches throughout, such as instant hot water tap in our room so that we could enjoy the great selection of teas, a delicious homemade appetizer of hummus and thyme toasted pita bread with an array of veggies and fruit, along with a bottle of wine. We laughed when we saw mini floating ducks and frogs in our Jacuzzi. We also found covered boxes tucked in nooks and crannies filled with hidden notes from previous guests. It was like a treasure hunt.

We especially loved our morning coffee basket that was delivered outside our door before breakfast. We then enjoyed an unbelievably romantic breakfast in our room alongside the cozy gas burning stove. Everything on our plate was presented beautifully, as well as the outstanding homemade sausage patties! It was so delicious that we ate every crumb.

Rich and Arline were always on hand to make sure that we were comfortable and well cared for. We thoroughly enjoyed relaxing in the parlor where we worked on a puzzle and enjoyed reading in front of the warm, toasty fireplace. We’ve never been so pampered or felt so much at home as we have at Dunbar House. We’ll be back…time and time again!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
santa clara, CA
Reviewed 10 October 2009

We absolutely love the Dunbar House. We started going to the Dunbar House about 5 years ago. It was everything we had imagined. Since that first visit, we have found ourselves staying at Dunbar House 3 to 4 times each year. That probably speaks volumes for itself, but these are the some of the reasons we keep going back. First, Dunbar House is in a great location in Murphy, California – our very favorite town. We love to visit Murphy as it is beautiful, historic and the people are so very friendly. In addition, Murphy has many events during the year that are so much fun – October Grape Stomp, December open house, March Irish days… Dunbar House is located right in the heart of these events. 2nd, the house itself mirrors the town – beautiful, historic and the people are so friendly. The hosts of Dunbar House, Arline and Rich, always make us feel welcome. And the guests at the Dunbar House have been beyond compare – we have made many friends in our stays at Dunbar House, enjoying each other’s company at breakfast as well as visiting in the living room by the cozy fire in the evenings… so much so that we often find ourselves booking the same days for the next year so that we can all see each other again. 3rd, the food at the Dunbar House is fabulous. Arline and her staff make gourmet breakfasts that are the best we’ve had. Not only is the breakfast delicious, it is served so artfully that you have to take a picture of it before you eat it! 4th, Dunbar House provides all the comforts you could ask for… and if you are missing something, all you have to do is ask. We’ve gone to other bed and breakfast inns, but the Dunbar House has set the standard… for us, no other B&B has come close to the standard set by the Dunbar House.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
CA
Reviewed 5 October 2009

The Dunbar House, as always, is stunning. The breakfast and hors d’oeuvres are delicious and the presentation exquisite. I’ve had the pleasure of staying at the Dunbar throughout the years; however, my most recent visit was somewhat disconcerting for the following reasons, (i) in past, when you arrived you could smell the aroma of fresh baked cookies waffling throughout the house, with a plate in the dining area waiting for your indulgence. However, under new ownership they thought it be best to provide guest with two (2) cookies on a plate in your room, to ensure equal opportunity for all. The cookies did not appear to be homemade but that from Toll House cookie dough sold at your local supermarket, and (ii) on our second night, around 10pm, we were startled by loud noise (laughter and music) coming from the parlor, which lasted until 12:30am. The next morning, we discovered the owners were responsible for this inconsiderate behavior. They apparently planned this social event with their friends who were staying at the house as guest. The friends/guests who were part of this loud group apologized to us; however, the owners who could hear our displeasure did not, which speaks volume of their demeanor and how they value their guest. It’s important to know, my husband took me to the Dunbar House as a surprise to celebrate our first year anniversary, thinking it would be a quiet, romantic getaway, but to our surprise it was anything but that. With regrets, I will no longer stay at the Dunbar House in the future, nor recommend it to anyone. Hopefully with this review, the owners will change their behavior and make the Dunbar House what it once was.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
DunbarHouse, Rich & Arline Taborek, Owners at Dunbar House, 1880, responded to this review, 8 October 2009
We have owned Dunbar House, 1880 for almost six years, and have prided ourselves on offering our valued guests a unique bed and breakfast experience.

Please accept our sincere apologies, as we are sorry that your experience was less than favorable. More than that, we are sorry that you did not choose to make us aware of your discomfort on Saturday night by either calling us (we did not receive any message on our voice mail) or addressing us in person. At no time were we aware or privy to any conversation you may have had with other guests. If we were aware at that point in time, it is our policy to handle issues immediately.

Most of the registered guests returned from a local area activity around 10 p.m. and migrated to the parlor, thus creating an impromptu gathering, and we were invited to join our guests. These repeat guests, who come for certain events each year, get to know one another, and enjoy an opportunity to mingle. It was not our intention, nor that of the other guests in the house, to have made your stay uncomfortable.

It is true that we no longer offer cookies on a plate in the dining room, as we found that guests who arrive late most times did not get cookies. We have been providing our guests with the same cookies year after year, but we now present our freshly baked cookies on a silver tray lined with white doilies in each room at 3 p.m., so that all our guests receive our afternoon hospitality.

It is our hope that you will consider revisiting Dunbar House again, as we believe you will have an entirely different experience.
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 21 August 2009

I heartily agree with the previous two reviews. Ditto to everything they stated. Our stay couldn't have been better. Stayed in the Cedar Room and enjoyed the wonderful double spa. We also took pictures of the beautifully presented breakfast, and everything on the plate was explained by the chef, right out on our own porch patio! I might add we particularly enjoyed the containers of nuts and candies available in the dining room, along with a wonderful tea selection, coffee, and get this, "HOMEMADE" lemonade, all day long. It was great when your were dropping off your shopping bags and wine purchases and heading off again on another adventure!!

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphys
Murphys Suites
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
Murphys Inn Motel
Murphys Inn Motel
#1 of 4 in Murphys

Been to Dunbar House, 1880? Share your experiences!