“Fine Attention to Detail”
Review of Dunbar House, 1880

and 1 more site!
Dunbar House, 1880
Ranked #3 of 4 Murphys B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The Dunbar House is the first Bed and Breakfast that has gotten pretty much everything right. Our breakfasts looked like they came off the cover of Gourmet Magazine and tasted great. Clearly time was spent on the appearance of the table and the food. A piece of art. None of the usual self served granola and bagels. The Chef served us and explained the meal.

Complimentary wine, beer, and a cocktail hour snack in your refrigerator in the evening. All replaced every day. Coffee at your door when you get up. Real coffee...

The rooms were very comfortable. I can't think of anything you would want that wasn't already in the room that I may have needed. Details and more details, all given a close attention to detail.

Beautiful yard, wonderful breakfast or evening cocktails. One of the few B & B's that I would go back to.

Room Tip: The house was built in 1880. I would pick a room upstairs or a room without a bedroom above. True...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 February 2012

We were off to the "gold country" for a spur of the moment weekend trip, starting out in Murphys and heading north during a very quiet late February weekend. Though I don't generally care for B&Bs, the Dunbar House was a very good choice, with a perfect location right off Main Street and its many quaint shops and restaurants. Though the inn itself met all expectations in furnishings and decor reminiscent of its architectural era, the real standout was the unsurpassed service--and delicious breakfast--offered by the friendly, helpful and warm Nicole, a well-informed local who epitomizes the best in hospitality. Highly recommended!

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The wife wanted to stay at a B&B, so I chose this hotel because it is a B&B and well rated. It was in February last year mid week and we had the place to ourselves. It is next to Main St. for us to walk to and easy to get around town. Perfect location, great breakfast, very very nice landlady (don't remember her name) she was always at your service, friendly and highly informative.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank TroublesNoMore
Reviewed 20 October 2011

After a hectic but fun wedding, I stayed at the this wonderful inn for a few days. As a single woman I was at first a little hesitant about staying here as I assumed that it was a romantic retreat for couples. However, I was pleasantly surprised that this inn was perfect for me! I was impressed with the warm reception from the owners, enjoyed having breakfast (absolutely delicious!) with the other guests, relaxed in the warm and comfortable surroundings, took a short walk to town a half block away and mingled with the locals. Nearby there are wineries and a National Park. The amenities and hospitality at Dunbar House were terrific and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get away. I look forward to another wonderful visit!

Room Tip: Definitely Sugar Pine!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Carolyn A
Reviewed 30 August 2011

All the comforts of home are considered at the Dunbar House! Of course, the rooms are always immaculate; the light gourmet breakfasts, wine selections, and afternoon appetizers divine; but it's the thoughtful touches placed throughout the house and the warm welcoming staff that makes this place so special. Awake to coffee at your door, and go to bed with a hot tea (or candies from the hutch) . And if you've forgotten anything, don't be surprised to find it in the well-appointed room, or in a basket just outside your door. The Dunbar House is the perfect place to enjoy a peaceful retreat while visiting the wonderfully friendly Murphys area — and not have to worry about a thing!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MEMorrison
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We felt so welcomed and really enjoyed our recent stay, the gardens are just lovely with nice spots to relax in. The inn keepers were warm and could not be more accommodating. The food was delicious and well executed, we will return on our next visit to California.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caligirl000
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Most of these reviews sound like I could have written them. My husband and I travel quite often, and I have to say that this was the MOST SPECIAL place ever! Our room, Sequoia, was so spacious! Often, with a king sized bed there is barely room to move around but not the case at the Dunbar House.

The decor was in keeping with the period, but not a single need or wish of the modern times was unfulfilled. Indeed, Arline and Rich have thought of everything! And every nook contained a new delight.

Oh, the breakfasts! My husband doesn't care for B&B breakfasts -- until The Dunbar House.1880 set a new standard -- as well as a beautiful table.

The gardens are lovely and the birdsong in the evening on the porch rocking chairs erase away any cares.

The Dunbar House is a very special place.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Latchicoe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphys
Murphys Suites
Victoria Inn
Victoria Inn
#1 of 4 in Murphys
The Cooper House Bed & Breakfast Inn

Been to Dunbar House, 1880? Share your experiences!