“Trip to Murphy spoiled by nightmare hotel.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Murphys
The Murphys Historic Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Murphys
Reviewed 14 May 2014

After arriving in Murphy unexpectedly we decided to stay over for the night and booked into Murphy's
The room rate was $96.45 and we paid $150 cash including deposit plus a copy of a credit card.
The next morning we were given the balance of the $150 ($54.55) as agreed.

Later on in the day we decided to stay another night as we loved the town of Murphy and we booked into the same hotel and the woman on the counter requested the same amount from us.
As before I paid her $150 cash and my friend gave her credit card for security. The same deal as the previous day.
When we came to check out the next morning we were told by a different receptionist that there was no $54.55 to collect and after waiting over 30 minutes to contact the woman who was on the desk the day before, she insisted that we only paid $96.45 and gave me change of $100 - this was a blatant lie as I knew I had handed over $150 cash. She had told us (and the owner) that she had taken the $150 from the credit card - THIS WAS WITH NO AUTHORISATION - and did not inform us that she had done this.
We handed over the $150 cash as we did the day before and thought that that was the set up for this establishment.
We realised that we should have got a receipt at the time when we handed over the cash from this woman as proof but we live and learn.

It is interesting to read similar reviews concerning unauthorised credit card payments and we are wondering if anyone else has had any problems with this particular hotel when paying by cash ?

We did speak to the owner and it is fairly evident that the ethos of 'the customer always being right' did not play a part in this hotels customer care practice.
Seriously disappointed, felt disbelieved and frankly we feel we have been fleeced.

On another note which seems to be the majority of complaints on this site we did have a meal in this hotel and had to wait over 2 hours before we ate. We were told the steak minon would take over 35 minutes to cook and would we like it butterflied - we said that this is not the way it should be cooked and that we would wait, not thinking it would take over 2 hours.
The service was quite appalling.

Please do not be put off going to the town of Murphy as it is an amazing place but think twice about staying and eating at this hotel.

TIP TO THE OWNER - your booking system needs a closer look.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
44  Thank Geoff L

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I spend several days at the Murphys Historic Hotel in the two story wing. New Beds! New windows! New bathroom fittings! It's all quite fine. The historic hotel has received much updating without loosing its character.

Room Tip: I like the ground floor units. Luggage to room and back to car is simpler.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vladislov
Reviewed 11 March 2014

During our stay on March 8-9, 2014 we experienced a night of chaos in the parking lot which Mangament neglected to rectify. A group of VW campers set up their BBQ, lawn chairs and adult libations which led to an astonishing safety hazard. Party started at 3:30pm and was finally shut down by law enforcment at 1:30am after numerous complaints from other hotel guests. The disposal of the BBQ coals out onto the parking lot was a recipe for disaster. Managments lack of concern and irresponisiblity to their other guests disappoints me so much that I'll never stay there again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
36  Thank Cindy B
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Haven't stayed in the historic building so this review is just for the "modern" rooms. Maybe in 1965 they were modern! The furnishings, bed, tv, bathroom--all of it is outdated and in various states of disrepair. The room was not immaculate (I have stayed in older places, that made up for the outdated room by being the best in every other way), musty, carpet dirty. Desk closes early, so don't try to get any service after 10 p.m. Murphys is a great little town, but this place is a dump. Don't waste your money--if you are going to be in town for 2 nights check out some of the various rental homes, a good deal and very quaint.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
21  Thank ellykay555
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My wife and I along with our daughter, son-in-law and grandson (5 mo.) stayed in room 15, the Daniel Webster room, for one night. (Kind of a creepy looking guy really!) This room is upstairs right over the saloon so we were told it would be noisy until about 2 AM, and we took the room with that in mind. Our goal was to enjoy the history of the place and the noise actually added some of that old west ambiance we were looking for... well, maybe not the jukebox, but you get the idea.

When we first entered the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly staff member and were checked in very quickly. This staff member recognized us every time we came back down to the lobby, very good customer service!

We had breakfast in their dining room which was excellent and the service there was also prompt and friendly. Can't complain about anything except maybe a bit on the pricey side.

Oh, the ghost thing. My wife had to use the... ummm... facilities in the middle of the night. And since this is an old historic hotel, the bathrooms are shared, at least for the room we got. She put on her sweater, took the room key with her to open the bathroom, went in and put the key in her sweater pocket. When she got up and turned around to wash her hands she saw a key on the window sill. She took a closer look and noticed it was for room 15. She then checked her pocket and the key was missing. I understand from talking to one of the staff members that it is a common thing to have items moved. Just a neat experience, adds to that old historic ambiance!

Overall I would have to say this was the funnest stay I've had at any hotel lately. I can't wait until we can go back and stay again, this time for more than just one night! Maybe next time I'll take some ghost detection equipment along, I mean, what the heck, might be fun!

Room Tip: If you don't want a noisy room, don't get room 15! It did have a balcony though which was n...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank GoldCountryTraveler
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A group of 15 of us chose the Murphys Hotel to hold a high school reunion (since we actually graduated from a military high school overseas) ....we all rented rooms in the newer section for a Friday and Saturday night. Yes, the bar area is LOUD on weekend nights - but ...we had no issues with noise in our rooms. The rooms are very much what you'd find in a "ma & pa" motel - clean, somewhat dated in terms of decorations, features etc. but everything worked fine including the wide / flat screen TV where I was able to watch college football on a Direct TV channel. MOST things in Murphys are rather pricey - coffee and pastries in the morning, even a couple of scoops of ice cream at the local parlor are priced typically for a very "tourist attraction: type town. The Murphys Historic Hotel is NOT over priced for the area in fact it is in my opinion, VERY reasonable . If I were in the area again - THIS is where I'd stay.

Room Tip: It's FINE ....unless you are just ultra picky.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Gurley_AlabamaZ_man
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I spent a friday and saturday night in October 2013 ; Iwas part of a largish group which took about half the rooms of the "motel" units. The remaining units were taken by a wedding party being held at the hotel on Saturday night. Two of my group stayed in the updated Gordon Ramsey rooms. Very nice and stylish those rooms..the rest were shabby..

The location was perfect and it is the only hotel in the downtown area..but the term hotel is loosely applied, the rooms outside of the old historic building are housed in late 60"s frame one and two story motel construction with doors leading directly to the parking lot. I think the carpeting is new or newish, the linoleum was hideous and the 60's paneling was painted / or wallpapered probably mid 80's. the furniture is mid 90's. I stayed in room 105, the window curtains were shredding, the shower ( a one piece fiberglass ) was coming off the wall and there was a patch job on the ceiling that was started, but not finished. And all the other rooms my group stayed in were in the same shape.. but the location is perfect.
But not perfect enough... friday night we gathered in one larger room ( a king suite) , had a party and closed it down at 9.30 pm to be considerate , plus all the bars in town with live music were also closing down.. so we figured it was the way things are in Murphys.
Saturday night, the wedding party was having a great time in the outdoor party space. I stopped to watch the happy event as I walked from dinner back to my room at about 9:30, to my surprise, no one was dancing but the dj had a party track on every song so it sounded as if the dance floor was jammed...and of course the booming bass was shaking all the windows of the worn out 60's construction. My room was all the way across the parking lot, but I could clearly hear and feel the music and noise. ....around 10 pm, I figured the dj would quiet it down a bit. but no, so I peeked outside and I noticed, again, shaking windows and all were caused by the dj's use of bass and a party track and no one was on the dance floor...10.30pm,. dj was still going strong, no dancers, but the dj was having a good time, I called the front desk to see if there might be some idea when the music would stop. The front desk did not have anyone answering the phone, there was a message machine. So, I thought, okay, the party must have been given instructions to quiet it down at some hour... but no... finally at 11:20 I left a message on the answering machine asking the front desk to quiet down the party..and apparently some one else called the sheriff because the party was pulled about 11:25.
I learned the next day that the front desk is not manned after 10 pm, party guests are not required to observe any noise ordinances and the bartender inside the hotel's bar was in charge if I had needed to talk to anyone. Some of my group had called the bar but apparently the noise in the bar was so loud the bartender did not pick up the phone.
The hotel/bar caters to a biker bar mentality and this spills over to the management's attitude toward hotel guests. I asked the staff to have the hotel manager/ owner call me, I wanted to express my dissatifaction with leaving the comfort, welfare and safety of the hotel guests unaddressed. I left my name and phone number but I did not hear a word from the manager/owner.
Yes, Gordon Ramsey was here and made changes but the place is a dump that caters to a hardcore partying biker mentality. There are much better places to eat and stay in Murphys.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
33  Thank worldwidewinetravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphys
Murphys Suites
Gunn House Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sonora
Mountain Retreat Resort, a VRI resort
Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites

Been to The Murphys Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!