“thumbs up”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Murphys
The Murphys Historic Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Murphys
Reviewed 14 December 2009

I found it very clean and cozy. I would deffenitly enjoy my stay again.

• Stayed: December 2009

Reviewed 13 November 2009

Yes, yes, I probably agree with most of the previous reviews... Murphys Historic Hotel is a bit rough... Still, it has a down-to-earth quality that young adults in our family enjoy.... The staff is friendly, the bar and restaurant are nice, and it's a great town if you like Mark Twain stories.... My mother-in-law is in her 80s and she chose a comfortable room at a motel. It was the guys and gals in their 20s who liked Murphys Historic Hotel.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank CelticRambler
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We stayed at the murphys hotel and had a fantastic weekend. My kids are 14, 12, and 6. Each of them found the hotel facinating and loved the festival. They all loved the park behind the hotel and the Ice cream across the street. The grape stomp was a smash and we loved it. We will be there next year for sure. PS if you dont like having fun stay home!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We were disappointed in our room at Murphys Hotel. There was no weatherstripping on the door of the room to the outside. There was literally an inch gap below the door for whatever critter wanted to come in. The room decor was dark and dated. We have stayed at almost all the other accomodations in Murphys. I would put this hotel at the bottom of the list.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2009

Great location as it is on Main Street and is walking distance to 15 wineries, many restaurants and a wide variety of shops all in 3 blocks. We stayed in the motel portion and the heater did not work correctly. As soon as the front desk was notified they moved us into the adjacent room with a working heater. The owner offered us a free breakfast for out inconvience. The rooms are older and simple in the basics. It had a good tv with cable access. The queen size bed was firm and very comfortable.
Not very busy this time of the year during the midweek. We stayed there because of a 2 nites for the price of one as we are sent the monthly email letter.
We had dinner there both nites and found the waiter very likeable and took care of our needs. The menu offering is average but the food was nicely presented and tasteful. The dessert menu is a real plus.
You must remember that this isn't a new motel but is well maintained and has a great location.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 17 April 2008

Friends recommended that I pass by Murphys, which is a sweet place on highway 4 as it heads for the Sierra foothills. I can't recommend the hotel particularly well however ...

The main building is truly historic and the bar is an interesting place to stop by for a drink. It had the atmosphere though of a locals sports bar and got pretty loud (I stayed on a Friday night). Not a particularly friendly kind of place either - the bar staff weren't chatty or welcoming and when I popped to the loo (leaving my drink temporarily) they let someone take my seat at the bar.

The hotel reception's a little shabby, but I was hoping the rooms might be a bit better. I was disappointed to find though that my room could've been a set from a 1970s TV show - all the furnishings were very dated, and it was rather gloomy. On the plus-side I was staying in the motel-like extension, which meant I had easy access from the car-park and didn't suffer any noise from the bar.

Generally it was clean (no worries about using the en-suite, as that was immaculate) but there was a used coffee filter in my bin - don't know how long that'd been there.

When checking-out there was a dispute over the bill (when I checked-in I was quoted a lower rate than I was initially charged in the morning). Although the lower rate was honoured the receptionist repeatedly emphasised that this wasn't the correct rate and she was a little unpleasant about it.

I have a feeling this place trades on its history - but I wouldn't rate it, unless you want a '70s nostalgia trip.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank simonherbert
Reviewed 26 March 2008

I would never stay there again. Stayed in the new section in room 306. The Queen bed was more of a double. A very sparse room that was way overpriced. In fact they made a mistake on the phone and misquoted the price when I made the reservation telling me I would get an aarp rate. When i checked out they said on special event weekends there was no discount.. I'm not sure why they didn't tell me when I booked the room. The staff were at best slightly friendly. The restaurant was also a disappointment. Their house speciality [fried chicken] was bland. At breakfast I encountered the waitress from 5 easy pieces[ 'no substitutions"] I was then served a breakfast that made Denny's grand slam look like a gourmet feast. Overall the town of Murphy's is a bit overpriced and there are better places in the gold country to visit.

Stayed: March 2008
5  Thank angusoakland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphys
Murphys Suites
Mountain Retreat Resort, a VRI resort
Murphys Inn Motel
Murphys Inn Motel
#1 of 4 in Murphys

Been to The Murphys Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!