“All the basics” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Murphys
Orinda, California
“All the basics”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We've stayed in Murphy's Suites "two-room suite" several times. This type of room gets you a typical motel bedroom with either a king or two full-size beds, and a living room area with a hide-a-bed. The area between has an enclosed room with a tub/shower and a toilet, and a separate counter area right out in the open that serves as the bathroom sink. I'm a little bit uncomfortable with this arrangement (I like a bit of privacy when brushing my teeth, and stuff like that, I'm weird that way).

The rooms themselves are fairly nice. The main bed is of good quality, with good bedding. The hide-a-bed is okay - there's not much you can do with one of those things - but there's plenty of extra blankets and pillows in the cupboards.

The only real problem is the heating and ventilation. The room has one of those crappy window combo heater/air conditioner/fan units, and the thing is approximately as loud as an old Evinrude motor running at idle. You pretty much have to leave the thing running all night, too. The only way to get heated or cooled air into the living room part of the suite is a little (approximately 12" square) fan set into the wall between the two rooms. It's not terribly effective.

The good points are these: Free Wi-Fi. TVs in each room of the suite, with lots of channels (including HBO, if I remember correctly). Very friendly staff. Free donuts and juice delivered to your door each morning. Reasonably priced. Good location. Lots of free parking.

All in all, Murphys Suites is a good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Renee T
miclee, Owner at Murphys Suites, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for being a great return guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
El Pescadero, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I was taken aback with pleasure at each unfolding of the discovery of Murphys Suites. Seeing the motel from the outside, (it certainly won't win any architectural awards) and knowing the 'low end' price for my reservation, I expected a generic sort of small town motel. As I approached, I noticed the large, formal and very well done entrance, Wow. As the large doors opened automatically I felt welcomed, then surprised with the expansive lobby with a 20 something foot ceiling. I stopped to take it all in. There was a fire going in a nice little area off to one side with comfortable seating, too many to mention other well done details along with the timber framing made it feel warm and inviting. I was particularly impressed with the accomplishment of balance between formal elegance and county warmth. Refreshingly, I was greeted warmly with sincerity by Tanya. I was just short of being shocked at each feature, accommodation and service Tanya presented. Honestly, I was overwhelmed, with Tanya tipping the scales, Aspen's 5 Stars have nothing over this place. Kudos to Tanya. If you're fortunate, you'll experience luxurious warmth and the delightful Tanya.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

miclee, Owner at Murphys Suites, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
So happy to hear you enjoyed our facility. Tanya is a exceptional hostess.
Placerville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

While the hotel is a little dated and can be more like a motel in some aspects (plastic cups and skimpy towels in the rooms), you will be surprised by the little pleasantries that do make your stay very enjoyable.

The hotel is very centralized to the town of Murphys and within walking distance to most shops and restaurants. Upon checking in the staff was VERY pleasant and helpful, and asked what flavor donuts we would like delivered with our coffee, juice or milk in the morning. They even gave us a time that we would like to have them delivered!

The room/suite we had was generously sized with a microwave, fridge and wet bar.

We were traveling with a group of friend and there are a couple of nice common areas for us to gather for a bottle of wine and conversation.

The staff kindly held our luggage and wine cases the day of check out so we could enjoy our last day in Murphys showing our car at the Ironstone Concourse.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

For the third year in a row we take an Autumn hike through Calaveras Big Trees State Park. We have stayed in Murphys, but this year was the first time we stayed at Murphys Suites. In comparison to other properties, Murphys Suites appears to be one of the newest hotels in the area. The hotel staff was wonderful and accommodating. After we checked in, we were asked if the room was acceptable and they could change it if we desired. The room was large and it is nice to have a separate bedroom and sitting area. The backside of the hotel overlooks a nursery and we found it to be quiet. Probably better than the rooms fronting the parking area. A microwave and small refrigerator makes it easy to have a quick bite to eat before venturing out. The room was clean, but not necessarily spotless as I'm sure they have quite a few skiers during the winter season. The room had a "lived in" feel, but not such that it was uncomfortable. A nice touch is the orange juice, coffee and mini donuts in the morning. If that's not your thing, Hillbillies Cafe is just a short distance up the road for breakfast or lunch.
The pool and spa were closed and that is normal according to the staff for this time of year. We enjoyed our stay and plan to return again for our annual hike through the Big Trees.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of the hotel seem to be quieter as these rooms overlook a nursery.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

miclee, Owner at Murphys Suites, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Good to hear your enjoyed your stay. Calaveras Big Trees State Park is only one of the fabulous hiking trail systems in our beautiful area. Glad you enjoyed it.
Davis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I attended a workshop in the area an for my purposes, Murphy's Suites fit my needs completely. This property was referred to me since the workshop conference facility had been booked and there were no rooms available so they thought I might be happy at Murphy's Suites and I was. I had plenty of space in my room, had all the necessities I could think of for my stay and also had use of the pool, spa and exercise room, all of which I found time to actually use. The location was ideal and a very short distance to my conference. The hotel staff were so friendly and helpful with recommendations about where to eat. A great natural foods store was nearby and also a $ 99 cent store and that proved delightful for my nieces. It is such a beautiful area and a well run establishment to stay in just makes such a trip all the more worthwhile. Thank you, Murphy's Suites for a sweet place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013
Concord, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stay here whenever we come to Murphy's. Love it! Very good location and very friendly people. Love the donuts in the morning. A nice touch. I would highly recommend Murphy's Suites for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Our British car club stayed here for 3 days during the Grape Stomp weekend. It was just far enough away from the downtown to be quiet. It was nice to be able to gather together around the pool. We have stayed here before and enjoy the yummy donuts brought to your room in the morning. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a bedroom so you can have a couple of children with you but they are in another area...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

miclee, Owner at Murphys Suites, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Glad you enjoyed your stay! Our 70 rooms large parking lot and conference room accommodate groups and clubs well
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphys
BEST WESTERN Cedar Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in San Andreas
Murphys Inn Motel
Murphys Inn Motel
#1 of 4 in Murphys

Been to Murphys Suites? Share your experiences!