All reviews donuts orange juice front desk two room suite pool and hot tub nice room the living room area quilt retreat table with chairs morning delivery rooms are large our stay was great beds were comfortable desk staff nice treat sofa bed bear valley
Reviewed 5 July 2007

Because we booked late for a special events weekend, the only room available was a 2 room suite, which was a lot bigger than the 2 of us needed. However, it was nice having all that room! This is a great place to stay for a large family or group of people.

Our room had 2 queen beds in the bedroom & a sleeper sofa in the front sitting room. The sink is outside the bathroom (a plus in our opinion) near the microwave & refrigerator. There is a large, wall mounted magnifying mirror. Lighting was good & the suite was very clean. The air conditioning unit is in the bedroom & there is a small fan in the wall between the bedroom & sitting room. We tried turning the fan on & it didn't work - then, right before we checked out, we discovered a wall switch (labeled fan!) that controlled the fan. While we were there, the "living room" was uncomfortably warm much of the time - I think the fan would have helped some.

We didn't get the so called continental breakfast - which was a choice of a chocolate or fruit muffin & juice delivered to the room. I agree with a previous reviewer that they might as well not bother. The lack of a decent continental breakfast is my main complaint about the hotel. One other very minor complaint: Although the suite had a coffee pot, since I only drink one cup in the morning, I’d rather get my morning cup of coffee in the lobby. At the Murphy Suites, the coffee pot was behind the front desk so you had to ask for a cup of coffee! I was lucky because the desk clerk wasn't busy. If there is a line of people checking out, I guess you just have to wait for your coffee.

Although you can walk to “downtown” Murphys, it isn’t an easy walk due to lack of sidewalks & traffic entering town from Hwy 4.

Date of stay: June 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank TZK
Reviewed 19 March 2007

We stayed at the Murphys Suites on St. Patty's Day (March 17), coincidentally, as this is a big weekend in Murphys. But we're not Irish and we didn't come for the festivities. We just needed a place to sleep before heading to Bear Valley to ski the next day. Our family of 4 stayed in one of the suites: 1 K bed in a separate room w/ TV, and in the main area was a Q sleeper sofa and another TV. The bathroom was spacious, but it had only a tub, toilet, and a chair. The sink was located outside the bathroom. I was a little concerned that we'd be awakened by partiers, since the hotel was pretty booked, but it wasn't a problem at all. They staff delivers free OJ and muffins to your room in the morning. Small portions, but fresh tasting.
I agree with the previous post that the front desk was sporadically attended, but the attendant was accommodating. When we checked in there were free Oreo cookies at the desk in a glass cookie jar, and when we checked out the next morning, we asked for extra muffins, which we were given cheerfully. We had to pay a premium for the room because it was St P's weekend, but I thought it was a good value nonetheless. Call the hotel directly for reservations-- here's the website: [--]

Date of stay: March 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank 4233mailbox
Reviewed 16 August 2006

We stayed at Murphys Suites from 8/8 - 8/11. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the room as well as the size. There were two queen beds, a TV, and a table with chairs in the main bedroom and you had room to move. There was a kitchenette area with a microwave, sink and fridge. The front room had a queen size sofa bed and a comfy oversized chair, a desk and another TV and dresser. They had two computers in the lobby with Internet service, free to use.

The pool area was nice, had a little bit of grassy area, table and chairs, lounge chairs and a good size Jacuzzi. The kids had a lot of fun playing in it. It was 3 ft to 5 ft deep.

The free espresso drinks in the lobby were a nice perk. The muffins and orange juice were basic, but also a nice start for the kids in the am before we headed out.

The only downside was we were there when the hotel was not busy, so they only had one person working the front desk at any time, so you occasionally had to wait for them to return from delivering something to a room, finishing up a phone conversation, etc… but they were always very friendly.

I would definitely recommend it to others and would stay there again. The price was right for the room size and amenities.

5  Thank Julie F
Reviewed 23 July 2006

Great location and spacious rooms. Free computer usage in lobby along with complimentary Americano coffee made me a happy camper. I liked the refrigerator and microwave in the room and the recliner. The staff was absolutely wonderful (especially Dottie).

Date of stay: July 2006
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Grizzlyman
Reviewed 7 July 2006

I booked a room here based on the reviews on this site. It's a clean property but lacked in personality. The check-in was extremely slow even though we were the only guests in the lobby. The service all around was unimpressive. For example, when we called for towels (we were given three towels for a room booked for four people) we were told we would need to come to the front desk and get them ourselves. The property made a big deal out of choosing a breakfast at check-in and then delivered a small prepackaged muffin and a tiny carton of juice per person in the morning- why bother? The location is not in downtown Murphys. Downtown is reachable only by vehicle unless you want to walk along the shoulder of the highway. The downtown hotels looked like a lot more fun. This hotel, while close to town, is not where the action is.

Date of stay: May 2006