“Not as good as I had hoped.”

The Westin Verasa Napa
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Not as good as I had hoped.”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The stay started out good but then we were notified on the second day of our trip that the pool was closing from 4-8pm that day. The pool was the main reason we chose this hotel in the first place. The rooms had very poor excuses for mirrors and house keeping didn't visit our room until after 4 pm when we had already returned from a full day out of the room.

• Stayed August 2012
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Thank you for the review and I’m sorry for the disappointment with the pool closure. It was a onetime event and shouldn’t happen again.

As I have stated before, the pool is one of the highlights of the property. If you do find yourself back in the Napa area please come see us again and I guarantee a much more satisfactory experience with our property and the pool.

Service Express Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I do not have anything negative to stay.

We were very pleased with everything from the valet, check in team and consierge.

Before going on any wine tours check in with the consierge for coupons, reservations and specials.

Fun wine tastings available in the lobby at 5pm.

Gym is excellent, plenty of equipment.

Pool and hot tub are lovely and although there are not many loungers there always seem to be one available.

Would definetly return upon another visit to Napa.

Room Tip: Try not to get stuck too far from the elevator, it can be quite a walk.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Koter
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Thank you and this is excellent feedback and a very good tip about coupons. Many times our concierge team has excellent discounts available for our guests. From buy one get one free tastings, tours, complimentary tastings and much more. It depends on the winery that you visit but if you are interested all you have to do is ask.

We’ll hope to see you back soon.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Spent 4 days here on vacation. Location is great - walking distance to downtown Napa; easy to get on the highway to drive up the valley for meals and winery visits.

Room was nice. Large with a kitchenette. No view to speak of.

The public spaces were nice. Comfortable lobby. Bar is nice. Pool area is nice as well with lots of seating and a few cabanas to get out of the sun.

Helpful staff. The concierge was ready with eating recommendations and willing to make reservations for meal, winery tours, and whatever else you'd want. Though it was more fun talking to the bellmen, who had more candid "where to have fun" recommendations.

Only criticism is fairly minor - the wireless network never worked in our room. And the hotel staff could never figure out why (the answer, I think, was that there aren't enough access points). They offered to move our room to fix it, but the room would have been smaller. In the end it wasn't worth the hassle. I'm just glad I wasn't trying to get work done.

I would stay there again.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the review and providing us your feedback. I think that the idea of getting recommendations from both the concierge and the valet staff is a great suggestion to future travelers. You will surly get 2 great responses with a good chance of being very different.

Also, thank you for the feedback on our wireless connection. I am aware that there are parts of the hotel that have better connections than others and we are working on getting that issue resolved.

Have a great rest of your summer and we’ll hope to see you back soon.

United States
Reviewed 15 August 2012

When I am spending almost $500 per night on a room my expectations rise. Our one bedroom king size suite was disappointingly smaller than I had hoped with little room in the bedroom for doing much else but sleeping. Although the bed itself and the bathroom were lovely, the views out our window were reason enough to keep the curtains drawn! Plus all the windows were filthy and honestly hurt your eyes to even look at!! Parking lots and empty lots are not what I envisioned... so needless to say the balcony served no purpose at all for us!

Check in was a nightmare and time consuming... with the staff insisting on holding almost 500.00 more than the room cost from my credit card and final billing resulted in them failing to credit me with my AAA discount which I had to resolve with them after returning home. I was also VERY put off by the $20.00 additional daily amenity fee which apparently covers your required valet parking, the slow WiFi connection and use of their pool and gym. If this is a required fee then why not just add it to the room rate instead of appearing to nickel and dime an already overpriced room patron?

I will say the valet service staff was upbeat and accommodating... but because the valet parking service is required and the hotel front vehicle area is cramped and limited, getting access to your vehicle was a constant hassle and time hog... and feels more like Grand Central Station than an upscale hotel! Baggage assistance also falls under the valet's responsibilities, and we experienced an over an hour's wait to have our bags brought from our room at check out and the same to gain access to our vehicle. As over burdened as these young men are it is amazing that they still manage to remain as helpful and upbeat with their attitudes!

Bottom line is the Westin is definitely NOT a five star hotel and the very lowest level of a four star you can imagine. Beware of where in the hotel your room is, as some of the views and accesses to the other amenities are quiet different from one another. Personally I think the Napa valley has many, quality accommodations to offer at more reasonable prices than the Westin.

Room Tip: Look before you commit! You will find huge differences between rooms as they relate to views and ac...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
I’m very sorry for the disappointment you experienced staying with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. From your username and the description of your stay I believe that I have addressed your concerns in my previous response.

Please do feel free to let us know of anything else we may be able to assist with.

United States
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I'm not one that normally shells out $500 for a hotel room and my recent stay at the Napa Westin reconfirmed for me the reasons why. Beware that whatever your room charge is... you will also pay a mandatory "amenity fee" of $20.00 plus tax just to park your car, swim in the pool or use the WiFi... that irked me! Adding that in with your Napa taxes and fees plan on tacking on another $100.00 per day onto your bill. Our king sized one bedroom suite was honestly not very big... our $500 "view" included the side parking lot and a scraggly empty lot. Our "french balcony" was smaller than most cheap apartments and appointed as such too. The bed was indeed "heavenly" but don't think for a moment your bedroom is spacious, it is not. Hardly any room to even get dressed. Turn down service? Apparently it is supposed to be included, but never happened on either of the two nights of our stay. I will say the valet and bell hop staff were top notch, friendly and accommodating... these young men have great hustle and attitudes! With all this said.. it's your money, waste it as you please!

Room Tip: This is one property that you should ASK to view the room FIRST! If you don't... be prepared fo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BelizeDenize
I’m very sorry for the disappointment you experienced staying with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us and future travelers some insight on your experiences. Although your experience doesn’t sound ideal we always feel feedback is a gift and take it very seriously.

From your review, your major concerns seem to be about the room and the additional costs. I would agree that this time of year is quite expensive in the Napa area and with taxes being 14% there can be a large additional cost to the base price. The resort amenity fee is meant to be a cost that eliminates nickel and diming the guest. Our intention is to wrap the $40 to $60 value into a wallet friendly $20. In addition to the items you mentioned included in the amenity fee there is a complimentary shuttle each evening to the Napa Downtown area, wine tasting in the lobby every night from 5-7, our business center with printing and faxing services and more.

Lastly I would like to address your concerns about the room. From your description it does sound like you had a 1 bedroom suite and they range in size from approximately 600 to 700 square feet. Not a huge amount of space but pretty reasonable for a hotel room. Depending on the room and the location, the views and balconies differ from room to room. On any future visit please let us know your requests because we do try to accommodate as many requests as possible.

Thank you again and sorry for the inconveniences.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I am an avid traveler for business and frequent Starwood properties. The Westin Napa is by far one of the best Starwood properties I have been to. The entire staff was welcoming, helpful and had a great attitude.

• Stayed August 2012
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you for the great feedback and its lovely to hear from a guest that had such a great experience.

We’ll hope to see you back soon!

Lancashire
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Staying at this hotel makes you feel really special from the moment you arrive. I have stayed in a number of Westin Hotels around the world and this is one of the nicest. Everywhere is beautifully decorated and maintained, our suite was enormous, well equipped and very comfortable. The poor area is stunning. The staff are very helpful, friendly and cannot do enough for you. And the food......try the pork sliders! Heaven on a plate!
I will be returning :-)

Room Tip: Ask if you can get an upgrade to a suite!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience and the pork sliders are one of my favorite menu items at Bank Café.

Have a great rest of your summer and come see us again soon.

Service Express Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
#1 of 6 in Yountville
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!