“Good location but dearly in need of update and direction”

The Westin Verasa Napa
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I had expected much much more from this property. A group of us chose this based on the brand and that we had stayed at the Hyatt previously along with the Weston "brand" We paid full price for the rooms.
First the hotel allows for whatever reason I have no idea the trash service to pick up at 545am everyday. The first day I was rudely awoken at 545 by the trash truck which was located directly under me ! Not nice. It is beyond me that the hotel management would allow this to happen, surely the trash can be picked up at a later time. I was by no means the only one commenting about this. ANd when talking to the front desk they knew exactly what I was talking about. That shows lack of leadership.

The room itself is well used, sofa was worn and did not appear to have been cleaned of late. The hair dryer was filthy and disgusting. When I took it to the front desk clerk she would only hold it by the cord!!!! I did get my room moved.

The general lobby is fairly attractive but noticed that the design team left out acoustics, the floors stone and every time someone moved it sent scrapping throughout the room. Noise level is really high, much too high. Sorely needs to been looked at to give a warmer feeling.

The food is actually good here with the Torque being a one star Michelin is a plus. We ate there the first night and it was wonderful. I highly recommend trying this if you don not want to go out.

The only issue was the bar service with the bartender getting mad watching the baseball playoff commenting loudly to a colleague " my booked" is going to hurt me!!! Not what one wants to hear in a Weston!!!

Location is great and I would hope that Weston gives this place a make over and some real direction as I am a great fan of the Weston brand

Room Tip: BACK SIDE ONLY Make sure you request this at check in. mention garage pickup!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Ghostrider5408
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Thank you for the detailed feedback and I’m sorry for the issues that you experienced while staying with us. I would like to address your major concerns but first thank you for the review on La Toque, (Torque in the review). As you stated La Toque is the only Michelin stared restaurant in the town of Napa and is considered one of the top restaurants in the state of California.

To address your concerns I would like to cover each area individually. The first would be the loading dock area. This is an area that we are aware of and have been working with our various purveyors and services to make sure that there is minimal activity in and out of the dock area early in the day. I will touch base with our various departments to redistributed the message so that we can minimize these types of issues.

Your second concern is based on the cleanliness of the room. This is one of the most important areas of focus for our entire team and I will reemphasize the importance of the small details in each guest room are what make the difference.

Lastly was our lobby. It was constructed with the idea of wine country. The hard wood floor was designed to represent a wine barrel and therefore have a circular pattern. We have the large “riddling rack” on the wall behind the front desk that represents a tool used in the making of many Champagnes and sparkling wines. Lastly the grouped seating areas and couches next to the bar are for our guest to sit back and relax with a glass of Napa Valley wine in front of the fireplace. I can see where the idea of all the hard surfaces could create a somewhat loud environment but the lobby is typically a quieter area of the hotel.

I truly apologize for inconveniences you experienced and I will make sure that our future guests will not experience the same issues.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and had a cold shower each morning and I was in their 2 bedroom suite. I told them daily about the trouble, but it never got fixed. Don't stay in room 2100. Staff ok, but maintenance just didn't care. Also the TV's didn't get all the channels, and I reported that too. Great room, great view, but when things don't work it ruins the whole experience.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank travelagent121

Thank you for the review and feedback and I can understand where your frustrations lie. Hot water and a properly working television are hotel room basics and shouldn’t be a consistent issue.

I have advised my Engineering team of your concerns and they will be doing a full inspection of room 2100 to ensure that everything is working properly to avoid any future guest complaints.

We truly appreciate the detailed feedback and I want to ensure you that all your concerns will be addressed.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

Our daughter, Stephanie, married Francesco from Turin, Italy. They chose to have the reception in Napa because it reminds them of Italy. We couldn’t have asked for a more perfect setting than what we had at the Westin! The cocktail was held in the beautiful Solera Courtyard and the sit-down dinner in the elegantly-decorated Amphora Ballroom. The hotel location is beautiful with a view of Napa hills and Napa River from the back of the hotel; and the Wine Train Station just across the street. Judith Perkins, Westin’s wedding coordinator, definitely turned the reception into a beautiful and memorable experience. She was awesome, warm, and wonderful – a total professional throughout the whole process. Dinner and hors d'oeuvres prepared by the Chef of Westin's La Togue Restaurant were topnotch and out-of-this-world! Service by all staff was superb. Loved the recent remodel touches of lights. Special lighting effects made the Ballroom look elegant and romantic, yet warm and cozy. The 130 guests from Italy, the Philippines, East Coast, West Coast, and places in between were totally impressed and complimentary of the food, service, and set-up during the cocktail and dinner. The reception was everything I expected from a Westin and more. As the bride's mother, I highly recommend a wedding reception at the Westin Verasa to any couple contemplating a wedding in Napa Valley or elsewhere!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Thank you for this wonderful review and great feedback. On behalf of Judith and our entire team we’d like to congratulate your daughter and entire family, and we hope to see you again soon for another great night.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

This luxury hotel provides the Napa experience of your dreams. A local wine is introduced to the guests in the lobby every afternoon. The conceirge service is superb. They welcomed us for our anniversary with a split of champagne and a box of hand made chocolates. They were able to provide suggestions for vinyards to tour based on my specifications. We wanted reservations on the winetrain for our exact anniversary date. We were told that it was full when we tried to do it ourselves but strings were pulled and we chugged off to celebrate our anniversary on the exact day. One of the reasons that we picked the Westin was the location which is across from the Train depot, an easy walk to the downtown center of Napa and the convience for setting up wine tours. The ambiance of the rooms and the lobby were all first class. The valets provided great service. Want to park outside for a bit? No worries. They would watch your car for you.

Room Tip: They are good.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Serra62
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

Great feedback, congratulations and thank you for the review. I love to hear about these special experiences that happen when people visit the Napa Valley and I’m glad that we were able to be positive part of your trip. I will be passing this along to my concierge staff and send them your appreciation.

Have a great rest of your year and we’ll hope to see you on your next big day!

Reviewed 13 October 2012

This hotel is located in downtown Napa and is within walking distance from several cool restaurants. The rooms are large and include a good sized kitchen. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is centered around a courtyard where the pool is located. Next to the pool is an outdoor eating area; there were a couple of nights where there were events happening in this courtyard so it was a little noisy, but it died down around 10pm.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark M

Thank you for the review and great feedback. As you mentioned the hotel is built around different courtyards which allows for a variety of different views and experiences. During the Spring and Summer there are occasionally events that occur but they are always shutdown around 10pm.

We’ll hope to see you again on your next trip to Napa, and have a great rest of your fall!

Reviewed 13 October 2012

What a great place to stay when touring Napa! I recommend the Westin Verasa Napa without reservation.

The hotel and the rooms were modern, clean and well appointed. Best bed I can remember. Excellent Food, even from the bar area. The pool was heated [a big plus for cool fall evenings] and sits next to an extra large hot tub.

The service was exceptional.

Perhaps the best feature was its easy proximity to downtown Napa and the excellent shopping and restaurants [just try to find a bad meal in Napa]. The shopping center at Oxbow was great, featuring some interesting foods. Also, and it was an easy walk to the Walmart if you needed everyday items.

I am looking forward to returning as soon as possible.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank abujack

This is great to read and perfect feedback for our future guests. The pool and large hot tub are popular places during the summer but as the temps drop I really feel that they are even better. A cool morning soak or late evening dip before bed and after a great day wine tasting is what I dream about at night.

Thank you and hope to see you sooner than later.

Reviewed 13 October 2012

The hotel is beautiful, and the rooms very pleasant. The bathtubs are nice and deep for people who like to enjoy a long soak. The La Toque restaurant was excellent. For breakfast, however, I would suggest walking two blocks down to the Model Bakery for a killer breakfast sandwich. There is no spa on the property, but the Gloria Curry day spa down the street provided a decent massage for less than the usual hotel spa prices. The beds were phenomenal and someone in our party decided to buy one of their mattresses.

Room Tip: OUr first room, room 3074, was right over the air conditioning units, so there was a high pitched wh...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for the great review and this is perfect feedback for our future visitors. You mention some great points about the hotel and local area. I would like to add that La Toque is not only one of the best restaurant’s in the Napa Valley but ranks among the top restaurants in the world, as it’s maintained its Michelin star for the past several years.

The other great feedback is that although we don’t have a spa located on property, we have a great relationship with Gloria Curry’s Day Spa less than a 5 minute walk from our front entrance. In addition to the day spa, Gloria and her staff are a part of our Westin team and provide in room spa treatments for those that want to relax without having to leave their room.

Thank you again and we’ll hope to see you back soon.

Service Express Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#2 of 6 in Yountville
Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!