“big conference hotel, very good for that but not for romantic stays”

The Westin Verasa Napa
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Leonding, Austria
“big conference hotel, very good for that but not for romantic stays”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

we stayed at one of suites but other than large nothing spectacular, big kitchen but not equipped for cooking (unless you call heating up things in a microwave cooking) and very traditional and not quite cozy or friendly furnishings. nice big bathtub and shower. the hotel has a policy they call 'green...' and for 5 $ less a day they don't change sheets, but also don't clean the room (?). Well.
The bar-bistro serves mediocre food, but the waiter was very attentive. there is an additional resort fee charged, which was new to us - I mean what for? We had buffet breakfast for the conference and that was very average and typical american. It worked for the conference, but I wouldn't book it so much for a romantic trip.

Green Features: I could live with a policy of not exchanging sheets and towels, but is making the bed part of being environmental friendly??
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
WestinNapa_CA, Front Office Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Hello Barbarabner:

Thank you for the taking the time to provide us a review of your stay with us last month and I’d like to apologize for the concerns that you brought up in your review. I appreciate your honest feedback about your room, the food and the overall feel of the hotel and I will be passing along your thoughts to the team. Most importantly I want to ensure you that we take all feedback very seriously and we will be looking at your thoughts in more depth.

I would like to confirm that we try to make sure that each rooms has everything available to our guests for any cooking needs that may come up, and that each room is equipped with a full set of pots, pans, cookware, plates and cups. If your room was not to this level please feel free to contact me back and I would be glad to look at this.

Lastly, it sounds like the resort amenity fee wasn’t described to you very well during your visit because in the end it typically works out in favor of the guest. The services included are valet, wireless internet, shuttle service on weekends, the gym, pool and all work out facilities, the business center, just to name a few.

Thanks again and if you have any further information please feel to reach out to me and I would be glad to assist.

nbaslaw@westinnapa.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Bakersfield, California, United States
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Great location. Nice spacious rooms. Room services not to bad as well. Nice view of the river from my room. They have a nice bar area with different wineries that come and pour. Typical westin standards. For the price I'd come back here for sure.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Hello Tommy L:

Thank you for the great review and the wonderful feedback for all our TripAdvisor readers. It sounds like a great trip and our food and beverage quality is some of the best in Napa and the only hotel/restaurant with a world renowned Michlean Star.

Thanks again and we’ll hope to see you on your next visit north to wine country.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I expect more from Westin, but I've come to understand the brand is sliding into mediocrity.

On the plus side, the location is beautiful. The hotel is new, and the property looks gorgeous. Valet parking and WiFi is included in the resort fee, so they aren't nickel-and-diming you. The wine tasting in the lobby every day is a lot of fun, and the location is in walking distance to the Oxbow Market and downtown.

Other plusses: Fast, stable WiFi. Enthusiastic and helpful valets. I had very high hopes.

But I had a number of problems that marred my visit.

Protip: Do NOT get a room by the courtyard. The courtyard is VERY noisy and the rooms are not at all protected from the noises in the courtyard.

We got a very expensive bedroom suite on the second floor which was plagued by a loud groaning and wooshing noise around the clock. Possibly the elevator? The elevators certainly were very noisy. Make sure you are far from them.

Additionally, in their compartmentalized, process driven organization, they have lost the soul of hospitality.

Simple and stupid things.

The TVs have lots of exposed wire. The TVs are mounted so that the outlet and power jack are exposed in some rooms. The long wires dangle down, and and not dressed.

The Service Express line isn't good at followup. When room service failed to bring spoons for an expensive cereal and yogurt breakfast, I finally walked down after two calls failed to get the spoons to arrive.

When you call them, they can't seem to figure out your room number.

When the in room phone rings, you can't answer it!! Picking up the cordless handset - it keeps ringing! If you press the button, you get a dialtone. Apparently, you have to answer incoming calls on the speakerphone. This is IT incompetence at its worst.

I discovered this IT deficiency when I got back to back calls from the kitchen (Bank Restaurant) early in the morning informing me that my first choice breakfast was sold out, and asked to make a substitution as I was trying to wake up (and figure out how to answer the stupid phone).

I eventually did ask to speak to the manager, and I was given the rooms lead who politely listened to my litany of complaints and graciously offered me Starwood points. That was nice, but a better hotel experience would have been better.

SInce I'm nit picking I'll add a few more. These amount to #FirstWorldProblems, but high end hospitality is all in the details.

No shampoo in my room. Quickly remedied by a call to the Service Express.

Giant door closers on adjoining rooms mar the elegant lines of the room. Better to do hinge-based closers.

Waffle-fabric robe itchy to wear. Maybe this is just a matter of taste, but it feels like they cheaped out on the fabric.

Old style fluorescent can lights that take minutes to warm up.

The Westin website is confusing and I managed to book an accessible suite instead of a normal one. The Service Express people indicated this was a common mistake, and they did move us. The suite was nice, but it faced the noisy courtyard. It was nice that they could move us, but I felt bad taking up an accessible suite when I had not intended to.

I won't stay there again unless I hear that significant improvement have been made. The Napa River Inn next door looks nice.

Room Tip: Far away from courtyard and elevators, which are unbearably noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Epicroadtrip
WestinNapa_CA, Front Office Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Hello Epicroadtrip:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us and our TripAdvisor readers a very detailed account of your experience here at our property. More than anything I apologize for the litany of issues, mistakes and over all bad service that you received. While I have heard many say that they don’t like to receive online reviews, we take all sources of feedback very seriously. Using that thought process we feel that the more information we can receive the better we’ll do overall. All that being said, there are times that it can be tough to hear but we will learn from our mistakes and grow better from knowing about them. I would also like to thank you for the positive remarks. I will pass along your thoughts to our valet team, our wine partners and our location is one of our best aspects.

As I spoke about in my emails with you, we will get all the correctable concerns addressed and thank you again for all the feedback.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had the pleasure of being guests of Southwest Airlines and the Chase Rewards Card. Our place of stay was the beautiful The Westin Verasa Napa for 3 wonderful nights as we enjoyed 'Live In the Vineyard'. World class service started at the curb. Attentive attendants. Well dressed, polite and well spoken. Check in was delightful. Our baggage was already in our well appointed Suite complete with a full Kitchen and necessary utensils. Large bedroom. Island Resort type bathroom. Balcony with a view and courtyard safety. Housekeeping was wonderful. We went GREEN. Never a question to refill coffee and clean towels. The bonus savings went to breakfast.The only short coming was the quality and presentation of the food for room service,,, Terrible. We meet friends Sunday for breakfast with a tinges of fear. What a GREAT breakfast and wonderful service.
We will be back this fall. By then hopefully the quality of the food for room service will improve.

Room Tip: Check for upgrades.. We did have a inside corner suite and it is the best of both worlds.. A smile a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello George F:

Thank you for the great review and wonderful feedback but I apologize for the issues you encountered with your in room dining orders. It sounds like a great trip and with the exception of the in room dining, a perfect way to enjoy Live in the Vineyard and the Napa Valley.

We’ll look forward to seeing you back soon and I can ensure you that your concerns will be addressed.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Loved it here. Really well furnished and felt luxurious. Even tho the hotel has conferences etc. it didn't get in the way for other guests.

The bar area just works really well. Attentive bar staff who know their menus.

So wish I stayed longer and didn't head off to Monterey!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Robbie_Exeter:

Thanks for the awesome review and next time you’re in the area you can pass on Monterey and stay a little longer here in wine country. Although Monterey has a lot of beautiful beaches, when it’s not too foggy, I truly feel that 3 to 4 days in wine country is a great way to rest, relax and rejuvenate.

Exeter is a long ways to travel but I hope you’re able to make it out sooner than later.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I came here because they had very good rates for Wine Country. We usually stay further up the valley, but Napa has been making itself more of a destination. The Verasa was a very nice place to stay, typical for a Westin. The room was comfortable and had everything we could have needed. They were very pet friendly (long story, but we had our cat with us). In terms of location, the Verasa is a short walk to the Oxbow Market, which is a great food market in Napa. All-in-all, a great place to stay. The only downside was having to drive to dinner every night in Yountville and St. Helena, which takes a bit of the fun out of it. (We did not go to the hotel's restaurant, though it was supposed to be good.)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello LMZV:

Thank you for the great review and feedback for us and all of our TripAdvisor readers. We love to hear about our guests that have always stayed up valley in the past and have now decided to give Napa a try. I have found they always love the new and improved town of Napa. Although there are many great restaurants in Yountville and St. Helena, there are plenty of choices within walking distance if you decide to return and don’t wish to drive up valley. Some of the highlights are our Michelin starred La Toque, Morimotos, Angele, Coles Chop House, just to name a few.

It looks like your stay was a few months ago so we’ll hope to see you back soon.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was my first time in Napa, and this Hotel compliments perfectly to Napa and its surroundings. Rugged and rustic building with high ceilings.Reception was very inviting so was the staff. Johnny at the front desk was extra cheerful and very helpful. Room was very nice with all goodies "Westin "stands for. Complimentary wine testing gets you started in Napa. Great experience. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello Deepak G:

Thank you for the great review and sharing your feedback with us and all of our TripAdvisor readers. We love to hear about great guest experiences so thank you for sharing.

I will be passing along your review to the entire team and thank them on your behalf for a job well done.

We’ll look forward to you returning sooner than later and maybe mid-summer to escape a little bit of the Austin heat.

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!