“Great property, questionable customer service”

The Westin Verasa Napa
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“Great property, questionable customer service”
Reviewed 30 July 2009

The Westin Verasa Resort in Napa is a beautiful property in a very convenient location. The property is very elegant and is typical of most Westin properties. However as a Starwood member I was very dissappointed with the service I received. First, I was ignored at the front desk even though there were several employees available. After I made my presence completely obvious, they made excuses for ignoring us. Not a big deal, but combined with the rest of the problems it was typical of my experience.

I paid extra for a one-bedroom suite with a balcony, and the room was great. However, when I went out on the balcony, my view was of two massive air conditioning units that were blowing full blast my whole stay. Since I informed them that this was a special occasion I thought it was totally inconsiderate.

Also, eating in the restaurant was a mixed bag. The food was great, but they were out of several items on the menu and it took over 10 minutes to get a waiter to come over to our table.

One more thing. Room service stops at 11PM. If you are a night owl like me, you better plan ahead.

In my opinion, this is a beautiful property but the customer service side needs much improvement. If you can deal with that you will be fine.

1 Thank tradewarrior

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Flew in from Minneapolis to San Fran-stayed at the Clift where the noise of the streets and the less than perfect staff live up to their names. Down to the Wharf for crab, and then on our way to Napa to the Westin where I would spend the next 24 hours with severe food poisoning. Missed all of Saturday, wine tour and picnic with my friends to celebrate my 40th b-day. As ill as I was, and I was quite sick...I am SO THANKFUL to have been at the Westin!!! Truly a wonderful, peaceful, relaxing, enjoyable and rejuvenating experience. A TRULY SUPERB staff!!! A special thanks to Eugene for the chicken soup! The atmosphere is warm, inviting, & comfortable. Thank you for helping me make the best of it all!!!! Dibs on a redo, less the crabby cakes. XO Elisa :)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We recently stayed for 2 days at the Westin in Napa, Ca. Our stay was perfect in every way!! The hotel is very new and is a beautiful property located near downtown Napa, along the river(to the back of the property) and across from the wine train station. It was easy to walk down the block to restaurants, The Oxbow Market, and even to the downtown Main St. area where all the restaurants and many wine tasting rooms are.
I booked our stay through Hotels.com and got the best value ($189-midweek) for the Deluxe King Room with a kitchenette. The Traditional Room doesn't have the kitchenette. We saw the 1 bedroom with a FULL kitchen and it was very spacious!!
Room:
We had a pool view room on the 3rd floor. It was very plush, clean, and beautifully decorated in earth tones. The heavenly bed was so comfortable. The room had a small sofa, coffee table, small table with 2 chairs, 4 drawer dresser with flat screen TV (movies were pricey- $15.99), I- Rise clock radio- I-Pod player, in room safe (complimentary use), closet (robes to use). The bathroom had black granite countertops and slate wall in the shower. All the bathroom amenities- hair dryer, hair products, make up mirror, large mirror on the wall. The best feature was the kitchenette. It had a small fridge, 2 burner cooktop, small dishwasher, and the cabinets were stocked with everything to cook with- utensils, toaster, pans, blender etc. There was a one cup drip coffee maker with Starbucks coffee that was complimentary. The fridge had 6 sodas and there were goodies/snacks on the dresser, however, those were all for purchase. The counter tops were also black granite.
Pool:
The pool area was very nice!! The hot tub was large. There were about 8 cabanas with soft padded loungers and other lounge chairs around with pool towels on each. There was drink service out at the pool.
Lobby and Service:
The entrance and lobby are beautifully decorated. The restaurant/bar is there and the doors are all glass and open up to the pool area. It makes the lobby open-air style like I've seen in Hawaii. I didn't eat at the restaurant, nor did I eat at La Toque Restaurant that resides at the Westin now. It is one of the finer restaurants in town and very pricey, but highly rated!! You can have 2-5 course dinners there with wine pairings. Outside near the pool were sitting areas with a beautiful water feature/fire pit. The service was great and all staff very accommodating and friendly from everyone we encountered!!
Other Amenities:
There is a business center with use of the computer internet and copy machine, and also free wireless in the rooms. The small fitness center had free weights and plenty of machines. There is a workout walking path the hotel has established with cards that show you the route.
Close by:
Soscol is the main street running in front of the hotel. To the right on Soscol you will find Walmart and a Safeway, Ross, Trader Joes etc -turn left on Trencas Ave.-5 minutes by car. To the left on Soscol, there is a Super Target, Dennys, I-Hop, Banks and assorted other stores- 5 minutes by car. Also it is an easy jount up Hwy 29, the main wine road or over to the Silverado Trail. Also golf is nearby at Napa Kennedy Park and not too much further to Chardonnay Club or Eagle Vines Golf Clubs.
We were so very pleased with our accommodations and experience that we would stay there again and highly recommend this property!!

1 Thank Karen B
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I have to express my shock and dismay that travelers are not giving the Westin Napa a five star average across the board.

My wife and I do quite a lot of traveling for business and also during our free time as we enjoy adventuring.

From start to finish the Westin Napa was very enjoyable. It is an awesome location and super close to all the the city has to offer. You can walk to the Oxbow public market which has everything from a tasty bakery and oyster bar to a kiosk where you can rent bikes and kayaks. Historic downtown Napa with all of it's boutiques, delicious restaurants, bars and shopping is only a few short blocks walking distance from these spectacular digs.

The facility itself is organic, modern and classy but very comfortable and in no way pretentious. We did not eat at Ken Frank's world famous La Toque (recently relocated to the hotel) this time around but have in the past. The new La Toque is gorgeous and we would highly recommend it. When the wife and I dined there a year or so ago, we found it to be one of the top culinary experiences of our lifetime and we are quite the foodies. Though we did not swim in the beautiful pool or take a leisurely nap in the resort style cabanas, or play a game of bocce ball, or in anyway take advantage of the many outdoor spaces the Westin has to offer, we were very impressed at the thoughtful layout as we walked the grounds.

Our light, bright and spacious studio room was very well appointed. We were on the South (???) side of the hotel closest to the bend in the river and the Ox Bow Public Market. We sipped fresh cups of Starbucks coffee (available in your room) from our balcony on multiple mornings while we soaked up the tranquil river and mountain views. The beds are indeed Heavenly as are the shower heads, plush towels and robes. We had no need for the in room safe, but thought it was a great idea for those that have that need. We loved the large LCD television (super picture) and used the in room X-box to watch a few episodes of Entourage. It was great that the Westin had a fully stocked kitchen (dishwasher, microwave, utensils, plates, stove, fridge, etc.) and we used it to reheat some yummy leftovers and create a few wine oriented appetizers and prepare some fixings for our picnic.

The Westin concierge was wonderful and made delightful recommendations for dinner and shared with us some of her favorite wineries and experiences around the area. We felt like she really listened to us and got a good feel for who we are and what we were looking to enjoy, as we thoroughly enjoyed all her suggestions. The other Westin staff team were also equally attentive and knowledgeable about the local area and more importantly the hotel itself. I called the front desk on at least three occasions with questions about the TV, dvd player, room service and check out procedures. Each time I spoke to the front desk they were fast, friendly, polite and I honestly felt trying to make our experience memorable.

You will find the Westin Napa Verasa to be gorgeous, convenient, well appointed, wonderfully staffed and a great value for your money. We have highly recommended this hotel to our friends, family and fellow TripAdvisors.

1 Thank karma1007
philaldelphia
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The only place to stay in Napa that offers beautiful, spacious, well appointed rooms coupled with courteous very friendly staff. Walking distance to downtown Napa and very easy drice to all the Napa action!

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I was here this past weekend for a bachelorette party and I must say that the staff was amazing at dealing with us. When we were making too much noise in our suite, they moved us into the lobby to continue our bachelorette party without bothering other guests (they also offered us an alternate room, with a cleaning fee- which we declined). The suite was large and beautiful and had the most amazing shower ever. My bed was so comfy that I didn't even mind sharing. The hotel was amazing about getting us anything we needed from champagne glsases to extra towels. They have a huge and very nice hot tub. Even though our room was very expensive, I think it was really worth it for the outsize service and beautiful room. If I could afford it, I would stay here whenever I'm in napa!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed 24 June 2009

The room and grounds of this hotel are very beautiful. Though i was annoyed with the mandatory $20 a day fee for "activities". This includes vallet parking which was more annoying than anything else when there is ample street parking. I would rather get my own car than wait for it. The bacce ball courts were also a discrace since the balls were all broken and several were missing. If you are going to charge the fee, keep up with it. But the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were big. Plus the double headed showers were a nice surprise.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
#1 of 6 in Yountville
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#6 of 6 in Yountville

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!