“Good Dinner, Lousy New Year's Eve”

Silverado Resort and Spa
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Auburn, California, United States
“Good Dinner, Lousy New Year's Eve”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

I made reservations about 3 1/2 weeks ago for dinner and the NY Eve Party. It's my husband's 75th birthday. I called and left about 5 messages asking what type of music there would be at their NY Eve Party. It was an additional cost beyond the dinner. (The dinner was very good and the service was excellent.) My call was never returned but I finally got a hold of the person in charge of events. I explained that it was my husband's 75th birthday, we weren't kids and didn't want a party with loud rock music. I said we'd be fine with swing, country or even oldies, and explained that by oldies I meant nothing beyond the 60's. I was very explicit and told him what I didn't want to end up hearing. He said it was a Great Gatsby party. So I said that the Great Gatsby was music of the 20's and that would be fine. I even asked if the DJ had music from that era, as most don't, and he said he was sure that the DJ would play music from the era of the Great Gatsby. So I kept the reservations and came for New Year's Eve. Well, it was nothing but loud rock music. There was a guy with an electric guitar in another room who was also loud. It was terrible!!! It cost us an arm and a leg, ruined our New Year's Eve and my husband's birthday, as the guy completely lied to me. They got their money from us, but I certainly will never return and will probably not even return to Napa Valley. This has left a real bad taste in my mouth. I'm very upset and really despise people who just lie to you to make money and don't care if you enjoy yourself or not. As I said, dinner was very good, expensive, but good, but from the time we walked into the party the rest of the evening was absolutely miserable!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonnie M
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Bonnie,

We would like to first start off by apologizing that your stay was not what you were hoping for, especially during such a special occassion as the 75th birthday you were celebrating. I can completely understand your feelings. For the New Year's Eve celebration we tried to make it an event that all would enjoy, I am sorry if it was not communicated to you in the right way and I will look into finding out how that happened.

I do sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future because I am confident your visit would be much more pleasant. Thank you for sharing your experience and we will continue working to make Silverado Resort and Spa the best it can be.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Korean first
Arnold, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Everything from reservations, check in, lodging room, golf, dinners were exceptional during our golfers dream package stay. Our room was well equiped with every convience we could asked for the jr suite. The bedding was superb in comfort and style..pillows were excellent.Bathroom was large with walk in shower, vanity was large, lighting in our bathroom was a too dim but we manged. Dresser was small in that the big flat scree tv took the top up. Need some bench seating in the room. Overall we have stayed at Sliverado 5 times in the past 10 years have never been disappointed in any of the facilities, golf is exceptional as is the lodging. The grill menu could use some updating with more chicken, pork, fish on the menu.

Room Tip: high floors less ac noise, rooms closer to grill & pro sho are easy walking no car needed
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear M R,

I am delighted to read you had a fantastic stay with us over the Christmas holiday! It's great to hear you took advantage of our Golfer's Dream stay - one of our most popular. I will take your feedback with regard to our menu and see what we can do. I appreciate the comments and will look forward to seeing you back at the Resort again soon.

san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We live in SF and frequently come to wine country as a last minute escape. While the property needs some updating, it is always comfortable and clean. We happily return for the friendly service at Silverado. Mark was particularly helpful in getting us settled, staff like him is why we return time and again!

Room Tip: The one bedrooms with kitchenettes are nice for a longer stay.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Laurenmichelle,

Thank you very much for your review. I was glad to read you had another enjoyable stay with us. You need to come back again and stay in one of our newly renovated rooms, I am sure you will be very pleased with the new accommodations! I will make sure to let Mark know that you appreciated his service. I am sure he will be thrilled to hear you mentioned him.

Thank you for staying with us and please come back again soon!

Norwalk, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have been coming to Silverado on and off for at least 20 years. On many occasions with a group of friends organized by one of our group who is a Condo owner. In the past our rooms were clustered in the same area of the property so that we could spend time together catching up and socializing. This was an important part of coming together from all over and convening in a cluster on the property. This past September 26 to 29, 2013 thirty men including our sons and sons-in-law had confirmed reservation for 3 bedroom units clustered.
I was in particular looking forward to sharing a unit with my son and son in law especially since September 28 was my birthday.
The day before were to arrive, the lead person who made the reservation was informed that Silverado could not accommodate us reserved. We were to scattered around the property and that some would be spilt up into 2 bedroom units and single bedrooms.
I was placed in a single bedroom with no amenities and my son and son in law in a 2 bedroom unit about a 5 minute walk away. We were not near any of the others of our group. In the past we would congregate in on unit before dinner and at the end of the day. That unit was so far that it required a shuttle to get from our area. We could only do this once and arrived too late because using the Silverado map we underestimated how long it would take to walk.
Needless to say this placed an ice cold wet towel on our anticipated weekend.
I believe they were were aware f their error and a bottle of wine showed up in the room with no explanation and on checkout there were some credits given on the credit card that were subsequently removed.
I sent two emails to Lori Black who is listed on her card as the "Guest Experience Manager" shortly after the trip and as of today have not heard from Silverado.
Needless to say, I will not return with a group again and will certainly not recommend other groups to come.
It is a shame because it is a wonderful facility. I can only surmise that it is under a different management with a culture not based upon hospitality and commitment to guests.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kennethhbrookler
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Room is decent. Its a 2 bed SUite - second bed is an attached room.
On day one wifi didnt work but when contacted the tech support the issue is fixed right away.
Went to The Grill for Happy hour but the bill had regular prices which was a disappointment.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
tallahassee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I travel to the Bay Area about 5 times a year is often try to arrive a few days early for some relaxation and this past trip brought my wife and 16 year old daughter, we arrived about 1 pm on a Sunday, a room was ready but the helpful front desk staff recommended we wait an hour or so and a much better room would be available , we'll worth the wait, a close in condo very comfortable with a fireplace, we had booked a golf package but the temperature was very cold, my family did not want yo play, the desk clerk kindly gave a spa credit to my wife and daughter in place of golf, nice extra touch, I was allowed on the course early and played the north and south course , they were both in excellent condition I thoroughly enjoyed my rounds, only comment I might add is on the south course there was neither a snack shack or drink cart, refreshments were only available at the turn, we ate at the grill restaurant breakfast and dinner, the menu was a little limited but what we had was excellent, we asked for extra coffee and fire logs, they were promptly brought, all in all our stay was excellent and we will return often.

Room Tip: Get close to mansion or be prepared to hike
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear John,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad you had the kind of quality visit that Silverado Resort and Spa has come to be known for. It was our sincere pleasure to have you and your family with us and we hope to welcome you back soon. Thanks again for your comments.

Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have been at the Silverado many times. This past visit over Thanksgiving was in some ways the best ever. Only one complaint. The check in and check out process was really inefficient. Only one young lady at the desk as a line was gathering. Took over 20 minutes to check in with just one person in front of us and almost 30 minutes to check out with just one person in front of us. That was only remedied by the fact that the person in front of us had a rather complex bill and finally some come out to help to the desk clerk.
Now for all of the wonderful reasons you should stay here. The housekeeping services is among the best we have ever had. Please do not forget to leave a tip because they do service over and above. The space is delightful. We always get a 1 bedroom golf course unit on the lower level. The grounds are beautiful. The spa is fantastic. Go for the Holidays. We have been there for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.. always great. We do miss that they are no longer have a Campaign Buffets.. but pound for pound they are still a good value. Go just because. Free wifi, a log for your fire place and in my opinion one of the most romantic spots to stay and play. How can you not love that. Yes the beds are confie and the coffee makers have good coffee too!

Room Tip: Get a room on Cottage drive overlooking the golf course. We have never had a problem with upstairs n...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Mylanb,

Thanks so much for your review. I am glad to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you had such great things to say about our Housekeeping staff. We couldn't agree more!

I do apologize that your check in and check out was difficult and I will reviewing your comments with my Front Office managers to make sure we are properly staffed for all occassions. I do appreciate you letting us know about your experience.

Thank you for staying with us again and please come back soon!

John Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
The Westin Verasa Napa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews

Been to Silverado Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!