“Overpriced Nightmare”

Silverado Resort and Spa
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed 21 April 2014

After making a reservation in early February, we stayed at this resort for 3 nights for a conference. Our reservation was for a king bed with an outdoor space. The first room did have a king, but was extremely small, cramped and 86 degrees with no air. We couldn't open windows, the screens had fallen off the frames and the room had an old musty smell. With temperatures unusually warm (in the 80's during the day) this was unacceptable. After speaking with the front desk about our concerns, we were told there was nothing available and they would send maintenance to check the thermostat. The maintenance man told us the thermostat controls were in the room next to ours and this room was to be rented only with the adjacent room. He arranged for us to be moved to another room. The next room was even smaller, had a double bed which was located directly by the door so it was difficult to bring in luggage and near rooms undergoing noisy renovations. It did have an air conditioner which wheezed and rattled when it ran.
The room, especially for a resort and the outrageous price, was not the only thing
unacceptable. The grounds are extensive, but there is no place to sit along the walkways, no ice water offered by pools or in the lobby and no umbrellas around some of the pools. The pool was icy cold and not well maintained. These are simple fixes found in resorts in warm climates and at this price point. Restaurant service was good, but the food was tasteless and overpriced. Housekeeping takes so long, because the maids watch TV instead of clean.
Had this not been a convention paid for in advance, we would have left immediately for one of the many more comfortable and reasonably prices options in the area.

2  Thank 4luv2travelUSA

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Our recent stay at silverado was the last two days of a three week adventure. By this part of the trip we were getting tired of eating out so we welcomed having a place to prepare some meals. Our one bedroom unit #312 was recently renovated and beautiful. It was spacious and had the perfect amount of amenities for the two of us. We found oxbow market in napa and loaded up with local wine charcuterie cheese and fresh bread for late afternoon snacks on our patio! The perfect ending to our trip. Silverado is a little removed from downtown napa but we liked that. It is however close to silverado trail which is a perfect drive or bike ride for wine tasting. It was also art month inapril so a lot of the wineries were showcasing art. Our concierge gave us lots of tips and coupons so we didn't have to pay for tastings. I cannot comment on pool spa or golf as we didn't use those amenities but we did check them out and they certainly appeared to be very well maintained. We are already planning a return visit but a longer one next time. I had read some bad reviews so was hesitant to book here but have to say they appear to be listening to reviews and working on some extensive renovations.

Room Tip: We were one bedroom mansion which is next to a second pool that didn't get used so was private...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed 3 nights in this resort for a conference.
The resort is probably very suitable if you want to go there for playing golf with the whole family. It is less suited for conference attendees.
The environment is quite nice, and my room was very large and well equipped, with a nice view on the green. The main building of the resort, where the conference meetings were held, is also nice and elegant.
However, I detected some details which are not acceptable, given the price of the hotel.
First of all, my room was close to one where some workers were doing refurbishment, and this created quite a lot of noise.
Secondly, a number of lights in the room didn't work correctly. Third, I don't understand why the checking time is so late (4pm), so that I had to wait for more than one hour before getting the room. Finally, the distance between my room and the main building was more than 10 minutes walking.

2  Thank MATTEO S
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed in one of their 1 bedroom suites. The room was in great recently renovated condition. It felt like a 1 bedroom condo/apartment complete with a full size kitchen. I was on a lower level room. My only issue was that I could hear my neighbor above me who decided to get up an hour before i did. I recommend getting a second floor room, or there are others that are single story as well. Overall I had a great experience.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

My husband and I stayed in one of the condos. When we arrived, the staff was very accomodating in getting us set-up -- especially since we arrived before checkin. On first look, I thought the condo appeared charming--A sitting room with fireplace, a balcony with ample seating, an appointed kitchen (which dishes, pots and pans, and a Kuerig), a bedroom with King bed, and a bathroom. However, the appliances were very dated and the sitting room furniture had what appeared to be water stains. Also the walls must be fairly thin as we could hear just about everything that was going on next door (fortunately the other tenants were only there during one of the days.) Honestly, it was the condo itself that made this rating a "3" rather than the overall experience.

Prior to arriving, all of our carry-on luggage (including our tablet computer) was stolen in San Francisco, and we were kind of desperate to print off our itineray and found that Silverado does not have a business center for its guests. (A nice concierge, however, let us use his computer--Thank you!)

My husband played both golf courses, and found them fairly challenging--I believe one was originally designed in the 60's and the other was recently re-designed.
The staff at the grill was excellent--friendly and accomodating--we had the same experience at the bar in the Mansion.

We spent little time at the resort at Silverado (other than my husband's golfing) because we felt there wasn't much else to do (they do have a full spa). We made several side-trips on our own during our three day stay at the resort, and checked out Napa, one of the hiking trails and a winery.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I attended a conference at the Silverado Resort in March. After spending two nights at the property, I have no desire to ever return. Here is why:

1. My hotel room was not available when needed.
I arrived around 1pm and, when I tried to check in, I was told that check-in time was 4pm. While that may normally be fine, I came to attend a conference that started around 2:30pm that same day. Clearly the hotel wasn't interested in accommodating the conference attendees. I was forced to sit in the lobby for three hours - despite repeated requests to the front desk staff to explain my situation. By the time I got a room, showered and ironed my clothes, all of the conference sessions for the day had ended. (Making matters worse was that, once I got my room keys, I was told the staff would bring my bag to my room. That process took another 30 minutes and required two phone calls to the front desk.)

2. The room quality was sub-par (to say the least).
The room I received was equivalent to something at a Motel 6 or Econolodge-type motel. It was tiny - I couldn't even go to the bathroom without bumping the wall. And if I opened the TV cabinet, I essentially blocked off access to the restroom. For almost $200 a night, the quality of the room was absolutely intolerable.

3. Spiders
My room must have had a spider infestation. There were cobwebs in the bedroom area and in the bathroom. See attached photo to see what was crawling on my bed one morning. As a result, I received a number of spider bites.

I sent the hotel management an email with the information mentioned above. Days later I received a call from someone expressing regret and wanting to find out more about my experience. I couldn't talk then and promised I would call them back. I called back two different times over the course of two weeks and left messages both times. I have not yet received a return call. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - this just confirms that the hotel is not very interested in its customers and providing them with a good experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Atul T
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This resort has it all. Beautiful rooms, golf, spa and great dining. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. The price is very well worth the value you pay. Only wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy it all. Be sure and make your reservations well in advance, they sell out quickly!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#2 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Silverado Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!