“Great Value”

GreenLeadersGold level
Orlando, Florida
“Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

We got there a little early and was promptly checked into an upgrade on the top floor with a view of First Street by Drew!! Great decor and some wear and tear but certainly not a big deal since you should be out exploring Napa and area!!! Great recommendations for food. We could not have been happier. Go to Angele!!! fabulous restaurant on the river

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, 18 January 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so pleased you found AVIA to be a great value in Napa. It makes us feel good when we can upgrade the room for our guests upon check in and give great recommendations for restaurants in the area. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Kristine Youngberg, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Korean first
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2010

This will be my first review of a hotel however I felt the need to pass some information along. I travelled to Napa as part of a birthday/anniversary surprise for my wife. I do extensive research for my accomodations especially when it concerns a special event. I landed on the Avia with an impression of a decent rate for a slightly upscale hotel. I chose the deluxe suite with fireplace/large tub. We arrived in Napa early hoping to check in early for which I was told that they had a full hotel the night before and that the room would not be ready. This was understandable and not a big deal, we ventured out to explore interesting places near Napa including the petrified forest, old faithful geyser (this time of season height was about 30' and very short in duration...), wineries, etc. Upon return I checked in to the hotel and inquired about the room that we were in explaining to the person at the front desk that this was a special occasion and that I would prefer a room that may be less prone to noise. He said that he understood and congratulated me on the celebration of our birthday/anniversary. He moved me to the floor that opened up to a public veranda (I believe the 2nd floor). Thank you very little. The window had a splendid view of the public veranda (a wood deck and wall was our view...)which would be occupied with people until it closed. When I discovered this I went back to the front desk to see if there had been a mistake. I spoke with another representative and explained what had happened. He said that this was very odd that we would be put there and that this was a horrible room for privacy. He moved me to a more desirable room (on the 3rd floor) overlooking main street with a good view of a parade that happened to be going that night. Some of the furniture in the room was chipped and generally not in great shape. Normally I understand that this is a function of being in a "public" space (in that guests use these rooms every night and not all are respectful). However this is not very common for a "high end" hotel. The bathroom was not cleaned thoroughly-(there was what looked like a toothpaste spit stain on one of the glasses in the bathroom which was still upside down and had not been used), and there was a stain of unknown origin on the floor in the part of the bathroom where the toilet was. I travel extensively and I have stayed in all levels of hotels. I don't review them because I have an expectation of what I am getting into and I am usually pretty forgiving. I am reviewing this hotel in part due to the staff members attempted sabotage of our accomodations as well as the general cleanliness of a property that touts itself as being a "high end" accomodation. I would love to review the bathrobes that I heard so much about but our room did not have them... The walk in shower was nice, bathtub was nice and the fireplace was nice. The bed was also comfortable. The rate was not too high (this is VERY relative) and was inline with the area. However I believe that better accomodations could have been found for the same price without the hassel. Also, be careful with the minibar if staying at the Avia. I drank two beverages and was charged for three (due to one being moved and disrupting the sensor in the minibar). I should note that this charge was reversed hassel free after waiting in line at the front desk for 5 minutes, but I don't think that it should have been incurred in the first place. If you are studious, you can find excellent accomodations in the area including vacation rentals (if staying 2 nights or more) that will be a much better value than what is being offerred at Avia. Overall, I was very disappointed and I don't believe that my expectations were unreasonable or complaints unfounded.

5 Thank AHMECA
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, 8 January 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of the challenges you had during your stay.

I understand this is not the level of service expected of a hotel of our caliber and certainly not the level of service we are used to delivering. I do want to let you know that we are committed to enhancing our guest's experience with us by providing excellent customer service and awareness of these concerns greatly helps us with our staff training so that the next time you are with us we will be better prepared to offer you the experience we strive for!

If you would please contact me directly, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you about your stay and how we can work together on a future visit so that we may show you what the AVIA Napa is really all about!

I appreciate your patience and understanding as we learn and grow and look forward to speaking with you at your convenience.

Kristine, Youngberg, General Manager
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2010

Stayed for a four night vacation. The hotel was an absolute value for money especially when compared to the overpriced accomodations available in most of the Napa area; the hotel designer did a really nice job with the modern boutique style decor. First, it is one of the few actual hotels available--most are small bed and breakfast type accomodations. The rooms were large, especially our corner room, with an excellent bathroom and amenities. You had complimentary access to a real gym next door to the hotel, which is one of our musts for longer stays. Front desk staff were very accomodating and friendly, and you are within easy walking distance of many great dining options--definitely go to Norman Rose and Oenotri right across the street from the hotel. Some minor complaints include that the morning barista bar with breakfast to go type items are a bit over priced, and the coffee is not from proper espresso machines. Also, there were a couple of mini bar items charged to the room that weren't ours; staff promptly corrected it, but I wish hotels would stop using those sensor type mini bars that seem to always present a problem.

Glastonbury, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

The AVIA Hotel is located in downtown Napa CA. The hotel is new within the last few years. Has a hip & fun vibe. Rooms are well appointed in decor as are the lobby and lounge/bar area. The restaurant, Avia Kitchen, is warm & welcoming. We arrived in Napa on Thanksgiving Day and decided to eat right there at Avia Kitchen. The food was just good enough. Nothing special. This however is the only downside we found during our 7 day visit. Hotel staff were extremely helpful & friendly. When we were first shown the location of our room, right next to the elevator, Pierre at the front desk, was quick to change the room for us on the spot. We were very happy with the new room. Also the concierge staff was great. We were especially happy with Juliette Riedl. We worked with her to secure several reservations, food & spa, and she was professional, friendly, warm and responsive.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, 10 December 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so glad you found AVIA to have a hip and fun vibe! Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review of your stay. We thank you for recognizing the staff as the work hard to make sure every guest has an enjoyable and memorable stay in Napa. We hope you will stay with us the next time you are in the Napa area.

Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2010

There is a lot to like about this hotel. In an area where they know how to do luxury well, but they also know how to charge for it then AVIA represents tremendous value for money.

Firstly the booking process is novel, with the option to request upgraded rooms at reduced rates (and subject to availability at check-in time). So you don't know for sure whether you'll snag an upgrade, but if you do it won't cost as much as the standard rate for the room. This is a really good idea, and we got a tub suite at check-in instead of the standard room we had booked for a modest increase in price.

The room was great; large, modern and sleek, but yet also cozy. The bed was really comfortable and as well as the tub, we also had a small sitting area with a second flat screen TV, and a fireplace.

They offer a wine tasting most evenings in the lobby bar (incidentally the bar doubles as a coffee shop in the mornings), and we were lucky as the night we checked in it was a local brewery showcasing their beers. Just what the doctor ordered after tasting wine for a few days.

We ate breakfast in their restaurant and were pleasantly surprised by the prices - we'd just come from a resort which charged $10 for an orange juice, and $8 for a coffee; at AVIA it was more like $3 each, and the quality was really no different. We also really enjoyed sitting by the fire-pit and talking with other guests as the sun went down, enjoying a glass of wine. We also can't praise the concierge enough, they found a shop selling difficult to get wine for me, and also gave us free tasting passes for several really good wineries.

As much as I would like to, I just can't give the AVIA a rating of 5 as our room suffered a bit of a noise problem. It was seemingly above a loud refrigeration or air-conditioning unit which rumbled into life of its own accord during the night, and did wake us both on a few occasions (but we'd just come from the quietest hotel we'd ever stayed at, so anything would suffer in comparison). Also the housekeeping staff knocked to do a turn-down service just as my wife was stepping out of the shower. I asked them to give us 15-20 minutes as we were going out, and they agreed. Yet when we came back to the room after dinner, they hadn't returned. It would also be nice if the hotel had a pool.

However, despite that I was still hugely impressed and pleasantly surprised by AVIA. Having stayed at a number of different hotels in the Napa Valley I thought that getting value and luxury in the same place was something that was impossible to find. It seems that AVIA proved me wrong, and we'll be staying there again when we go back next year.

1 Thank Stones7
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing AVIA for your recent stay in Napa. We thank you for your compliments and are happy to hear the rooms and service exceeded your expectations. It sounds as though you enjoyed the amenities, services offered and the evenings on the terrace.

I do apologize for the noise you heard in the middle of the night. We would have been happy to move you to another room had you let us know during your stay.

We are so glad overall you were impressed and pleasantly surprised with AVIA, and we look forward to seeing you again next year.

San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

We stayed just one night here on a quick wine weekend. We checked in late, with no issue. Very prompt and simple.
Great room, we had the basic room. Perfect bed. The bathroom was excellent too. Super-sized shower.
Great recommendation for dinner given.
Check out was 2.5 seconds flat.
Free parking 1 block away.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, 5 December 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

It is so great to read you had an excellent stay at AVIA. I am so pleased enjoyed the comfortable bed and the staff gave you a great recommendation for dinner. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

San Mateo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

I usually don't write reviews, but I must this time. We usually stay on hotels out of napa downtown area, however decided on this hotel after reading all the reviews. We were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary and my birthday, they had a cheese and meat plate with a bottle of wine in our room.. wow that was a nice touch.
The room was super clean and modern.
the pictures and decriptions on their website are right on, what you see is what you get.
I LOVE it. Avia will be our new napa hotel for sure and will definitively recommended to anyone.
great insulated room, no outside noise.

1 Thank ehgalan
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so extremely happy you had a wonderful stay at AVIA for your anniversary! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and the nice compliments. We thank you for recommending to others and we look forward to hosting you again.

Kristine Youngberg, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
#1 of 6 in Yountville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,025 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Elm House Inn
River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Andaz Napa? Share your experiences!