“The Getaway that Got Away”
Review of SENZA Hotel

SENZA Hotel
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I'm an avid trip-taker, and in fact am an editor at a national magazine where I oversee the travel section so I did my due diligence in research before happening upon this property. My fiance and I were looking forward to staying there after I purchased a weekend visit for him as a birthday present. Unfortunately, I came down with a serious case of bronchitis in the days before we were set to go and called La Residence in the hopes we could reschedule. I mean, this was no common cold. I had to go to the E.R. and I was prescribed an inhaler. My fiance and I weren't even sleeping in the same room to keep him from getting it. When I called the day after my emergency room visit, a young lady answered the phone and told me that she would speak with a manager and see what they could do. I called back the following afternoon and was informed they would "consume" (aka keep my money) if the place didn't fully book out the night of my original stay. While I understand they have a reservation policy, I was astonished at the lack of caring and understanding exhibited, particularly because I doubt they would have wanted me to come down there and infect the rest of their patrons. After not receiving a promised call back, I made a final outreach to the property during which I discovered that they "consumed" my reservation, according to a rather brusque manager. Perhaps, based on their treatment of me, we were better off without the La Residence experience.

6  Thank Kyra K
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at SENZA Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Dear Kyra K,

Thank you for the time taken to offer comment and feedback regarding your recent reservation at La Residence.

It does seem that we could have handled the situation better and I have followed up with staff to make them aware of this and prevent any repeat moving forward.

I truly appreciate you taking my call to discuss the situation further, and I am happy that we now have a solution following our conversation. I look forward to meeting you in person and allowing us to ensure that your lasting memory of La Residence is a positive one.

We look forward to seeing you soon in Wine Country.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

This secluded property just off the highway has every thing you need for a nice trip to wine country. Complementary breakfast and wine happy hour are icing on the cake. Rooms are nicely appointed with big windows, a fireplace,small fridge, robes and an ironing board. You can pay a lot more for the same things at other places.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at SENZA Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear Glenn A,

Thank you for your visit with us in January. We appreciate the time offered to give us feedback on your stay in the Napa Valley.

We are happy to see that you enjoyed the property along with our daily breakfast and wine hour. As you mention, La Residence is situated perfectly to explore wine country and all it has to offer, and judging by your other reviews for the Napa Valley, you did just that.

Should your travels pass this way again, we hope to welcome you back once more to La Residence.

Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at La Residence the week between Christmas and New Year. What a great find!

The inn is located along hwy 29 on the west side of Napa. Access to and from the inn is easy. Walking distance to Bistro Don Giovanni's.

When you enter the drive to the inn, you find yourself secluded from the hwy behind lush grounds including fountains, sculpture and pathways.

There are several photos online that show the buildings and area. The inn was cozy and welcoming. Both breakfast and afternoon wine and cheese were plentiful.

There are many places to sit, relax and enjoy the view and evening solitude. The room had everything we needed including a fantastic fireplace with most creative log kit. I wish I had asked yo purchase some to bring home.

The bed and linens were exceptionally comfortable. There was a nice deck on the exterior of the room where we enjoyed a complimentary bottle of Hall wine.

The location is more towards the south end of the valley. However close enough to the downtown of Napa and easy enough to visit both Napa Valley and Sonoma. A great location if you plan to visit both areas.

Overall, we loved La Residence. We would absolutely stay again and have already shared it with everyone we know.

We are looking forward to staying again on our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Suzg,

LA FANTASTIC is a very impressive compliment to offer following your recent stay in December., I am happy to see that your stay with us was a memorable one.

Thank you offering such a detailed and comprehensive review of your visit., as you captured the feel of La Residence perfectly.

Do not hesitate to let us know if you would like contact information to be able to purchase the fire log bags we have here directly from the manufacturer.

We hope that your schedule allows you to return once more and have another enjoyable time with us here in wine country.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

My husband and I just returned from a short Napa getaway. We stayed at La Residence on a friends' recommendation, and they were absolutely right on! The entire staff were extremely friendly and helpful, we enjoyed the wine reception, continental breakfast, and just spending time in our beautifully appointed room! The fireplace bags were a nice touch, and having a Keurig in the room was fabulous!! We will absolutely be back, (but we are secretly hoping word doesn't get out and this little gem can stay our secret!)

Dear TammileeG,

Thank you for visiting La Residence recently and taking the time to review your time with us.

I'm glad to see that your friends recommendation was correct in choosing La Residence for your Napa getaway, who knows, next time around you should invite them along and enjoy wine country together.

That aside, I am happy to read that you enjoyed what we offer here, with breakfast and wine hour a good way to start your day and your evening prior to dinner.

When you return, we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in wine country.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

Bought a 'deal' for two nights here at $150 a night. Here is what happened:

1. Arrived on time for the wine and cheese reception which consisted of a handful of cheese, one meat and some crackers that were put out in small quantities. The wine pouring were mostly tasting pours and so one had to ask for four tastings to maybe get a glass of wine in total.

2. We were then taken to our room that was set at 61F. The heat would not turn up. We called the front desk who sent a technician that couldn't figure out what to do. Even though we were initially told that there were no more available rooms to move us to and that a space heater would help. A second complaint got us moved to a different room that was warmer but the heat didn't work again. Joy.

3. Breakfast consisted of cheap, processed pastries and breads. They also ran out of the one decent croissant because they only order 2 every morning. For $150 a night, serve your guests a warm, fresh breakfast please.

4. Their housekeeping does not respect 'do not disturb' signs. They will come into the room even if you request they don't.

5. Upon check out, we informed the person on call of what happened. Instead of making the effort to take notes and use constructive feedback, she made excuses for everything that went wrong.

Nothing about this hotel inspires any confidence. It is fine if you are looking for a place to stay and the weather is warm enough but do not waste good money thinking this is a romantic getaway. They do not cater to you at all and their customer service is the worst I have experienced in Napa.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank IHeartTravelYesIDo

Dear IHeartTravelYesIDo,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback from your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to read that we failed to meet your expectations during your visit to wine country.

Although we were unfortunate to suffer a breakdown to one of our heating units in the building you were originally reserved in, it seems that we failed on a number of areas outside of a cold room upon arrival.

I have since met with all concerned along with reviewing procedures in both housekeeping and breakfast service to immediately address any short comings we had during your visit.

I have reached out and left a message and would be happy to discuss further with the hope that you may consider us again once more in the future, allowing us to offer the La Residence experience that you should have enjoyed on your first visit.

Once again, we as a team truly appreciate your comments and feedback.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights last August as the last leg of our trip from Portland, OR, to San Francisco. The hotel is lovely, set in a vineyard close to a main road but thanks to clever landscaping there was very little, if any, road noise. Elegant with beautiful grounds and fountain. Our room was on the ground floor facing the pool area and had a small seating area which we enjoyed to be able to sit and read or have our morning coffee. On arrival staff showed us round and helped us to our room. A lack of a bedside lamp was quickly resolved. Room decor was simple but elegant and the bathroom was spacious. We did not use the pool but it looked lovely.
Wine hour is at a sensible time and a nice way to start the evening. Wished they labelled the cheeses so you know what area they come from? The inn does not serve dinner but Bistro Don Giovanni which is walking distance was excellent. VERY busy so do make reservations, especially if you want a table outside on the porch.
My only beef with this inn and one that would prevent us returning is the breakfast. We rely on a good breakfast especially when we are out for most of the day and lunch is often something small and quick. And our judgement is in the context of the many wonderful inns we stayed at during our trip, at similar price points, often less. EVERY inn offered a wonderful hot breakfast, sometimes buffet style, sometimes a la carte. Whatever the choices it was always good quality and mostly made in-house. La Residence offers a continental breakfast that is lacking in many ways and takes away from the otherwise very nice experience. When I commented to front office about this at the end of our stay I was told that the hotel discontinued hot breakfast and now there is no chef or even a food and beverage person in charge. Unfortunately this shows. Front office staff, nice as they were, do not have the skills needed to serve meals or even Wine and Cheese hour for that matter. None of the staff were ever knowledgable about either the wines or cheese served. Coffee and hot water for tea was often far from hot, even at 8 am, never mind the rest of the day. Bread was standard, fruit salad mostly melon and grapes and yoghurt pre- packs of sweetened supermarket stuff. There was an anemic looking quiche, cold and small. Cold boiled eggs rolled around in a bowl. Jams were in little pre-packs you find in fast food diners. There were cold croissants if you were lucky but they mostly ran out as soon as it passed 8.30 Really??? Is this what the owners would eat for breakfast? I doubt it very much.
My feeling is that when you charge $400+ a night and advertise that breakfast is included you should offer something commensurate with the other amenities and an experience that reflects the same quality and attention to detail that is found in the other departments. Continental breakfast can be wonderful with artisan breads and pastries, great fruit salad including berries, cured meats and/or local cheeses and at a minimum fresh greek yoghurt, home made jams and granola and HOT coffee and HOT water for tea! Would it kill you to invest in some new urns? Add a hot breakfast casserole, home made quiche or strada instead of a paltry mean looking excuse for a quiche and you will have happy customers... Let us know when you do- until that time, we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at SENZA Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear dutchgirl255,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback regarding your stay with us in August. While you enjoyed the Inn, the location and the wine hour, I am disappointed to read that the breakfast experience here was not what you had hoped or anticipated.

While we have a dedicated staff member who is responsible for the breakfast at La Residence, your points have been noted and discussed to review how we can address and improve the experience for our guests.

Since your departure we have changed to a new Artisan baker that we use to offer a better product for the quiche, gourmet bagels and pastries. This is in addition to offering freshly made steel cut oatmeal, these are along with exploring new options for our guests.

While I am not able to change the experience you had with us previously, I would welcome the opportunity to host you once more if and when you return to the Napa Valley. As such, please do not hesitate to call me directly and I will be happy to discuss any additional service touches we may have implemented prior to return.

Once again, I truly appreciate your comments and feedback from your stay in Wine Country.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

We had a great time in Napa Valley. La Residence felt like home and was a great central location to see all of the surrounding wine country. The service was excellent, the people were friendly and eager to help. The fireplace in our room had a cozy fire every night. Just a wonderful place to relax and escape.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at SENZA Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Dear ChainsawPeddler,

A honeymoon spent in the Napa Valley sounds like a perfect spot to celebrate getting married. We are thrilled to see that your time spent with us was a memorable experience also.

With the cooler evenings of December here, there is nothing more perfect than lighting a fire and enjoying a glass of wine together.

We hope that if you celebrate future anniversaries in Wine Country, that you will consider La Residence as a place to call home.

Thank you for your feedback and congratulations once again on your marriage!!

Best regard,
Graham

Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#2 of 6 in Yountville

Been to SENZA Hotel? Share your experiences!