“Delightful Spot”

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Anchorage, AK
“Delightful Spot”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

It was unfortunate that we could not spend more than one night at La Residence. It was an intermittent stop over for us and everything about the place is charming. We were unable to exsperience all the amenities such as the evening wine tasting but the total ambiance of the place was really special. What made it even more special is that when you first make the turn on the street to their location you see a rundown haouse and you immediately think that you were sold a bill of goods so it was a pleasant surprise when we actually entered the grounds which are extremely well kept. Staff was attentive and helpful, especially Kara(?) from Alaska. My only suggestion for improvement is to change your source for toilet paper. It has the texture of fine grit sandpaper. The one other thing is that we were in room 21 which had lots of windows and lots of light which showcased the fact that the windows really needed to be cleaned. I would recommend this place to anyone who appreciates a spot to stay that does not need glitz, glamour and immediate access to the bustle of downtown. Great value and La Residence has earned the right to be recommended. Cheers!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at SENZA Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Dear akh2oguy,

Thank you for choosing La Residence as a place to stop during your visit to California.

We are glad to see that you found La Residence to be a special place to relax, as we know this to be the case and are very fortunate to work here and call it home.

I will be sure to pass your compliment along to our fellow Alaskan and look into your comments made to improve the guest experience.

Provisions are in place to look to replace and address the dual pane units that are starting to internally fog slightly, due to seals between the panes. This is the case in the room you stayed.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope that should you travels bring you back this way again, that you will visit us once more.

Graham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 February 2013

We visited La Residence right after Christmas 2012. I loved the serenity and old charm of the property. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. I typically am extremely picky about accomodations, to the point where I lysol everything and wrap the remote in a ziploc bag. There was no need for that here. The staff was very friendly and prompt to attend to our every need. If you are looking for a quiet get away with the one you love, I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Stay in the original mansion.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Pamela E,

Thank you for staying with us in December. We appreciate you taking the time to write your first review on tripadvisor about La Residence.

We have recently made some updates in our Historic Mansion and I am happy to see that you enjoyed your time there during your stay.

If your schedule allows a return to the Napa Valley in the future for some more R&R, please do not hesitate to let us know, as we would love to welcome you back once more and take good care of you.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I'm an avid trip-taker, and in fact am an editor at a national magazine where I oversee the travel section so I did my due diligence in research before happening upon this property. My fiance and I were looking forward to staying there after I purchased a weekend visit for him as a birthday present. Unfortunately, I came down with a serious case of bronchitis in the days before we were set to go and called La Residence in the hopes we could reschedule. I mean, this was no common cold. I had to go to the E.R. and I was prescribed an inhaler. My fiance and I weren't even sleeping in the same room to keep him from getting it. When I called the day after my emergency room visit, a young lady answered the phone and told me that she would speak with a manager and see what they could do. I called back the following afternoon and was informed they would "consume" (aka keep my money) if the place didn't fully book out the night of my original stay. While I understand they have a reservation policy, I was astonished at the lack of caring and understanding exhibited, particularly because I doubt they would have wanted me to come down there and infect the rest of their patrons. After not receiving a promised call back, I made a final outreach to the property during which I discovered that they "consumed" my reservation, according to a rather brusque manager. Perhaps, based on their treatment of me, we were better off without the La Residence experience.

5 Thank Kyra K
Dear Kyra K,

Thank you for the time taken to offer comment and feedback regarding your recent reservation at La Residence.

It does seem that we could have handled the situation better and I have followed up with staff to make them aware of this and prevent any repeat moving forward.

I truly appreciate you taking my call to discuss the situation further, and I am happy that we now have a solution following our conversation. I look forward to meeting you in person and allowing us to ensure that your lasting memory of La Residence is a positive one.

We look forward to seeing you soon in Wine Country.

Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This secluded property just off the highway has every thing you need for a nice trip to wine country. Complementary breakfast and wine happy hour are icing on the cake. Rooms are nicely appointed with big windows, a fireplace,small fridge, robes and an ironing board. You can pay a lot more for the same things at other places.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at SENZA Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear Glenn A,

Thank you for your visit with us in January. We appreciate the time offered to give us feedback on your stay in the Napa Valley.

We are happy to see that you enjoyed the property along with our daily breakfast and wine hour. As you mention, La Residence is situated perfectly to explore wine country and all it has to offer, and judging by your other reviews for the Napa Valley, you did just that.

Should your travels pass this way again, we hope to welcome you back once more to La Residence.

CA
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at La Residence the week between Christmas and New Year. What a great find!

The inn is located along hwy 29 on the west side of Napa. Access to and from the inn is easy. Walking distance to Bistro Don Giovanni's.

When you enter the drive to the inn, you find yourself secluded from the hwy behind lush grounds including fountains, sculpture and pathways.

There are several photos online that show the buildings and area. The inn was cozy and welcoming. Both breakfast and afternoon wine and cheese were plentiful.

There are many places to sit, relax and enjoy the view and evening solitude. The room had everything we needed including a fantastic fireplace with most creative log kit. I wish I had asked yo purchase some to bring home.

The bed and linens were exceptionally comfortable. There was a nice deck on the exterior of the room where we enjoyed a complimentary bottle of Hall wine.

The location is more towards the south end of the valley. However close enough to the downtown of Napa and easy enough to visit both Napa Valley and Sonoma. A great location if you plan to visit both areas.

Overall, we loved La Residence. We would absolutely stay again and have already shared it with everyone we know.

We are looking forward to staying again on our next visit.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Suzg,

LA FANTASTIC is a very impressive compliment to offer following your recent stay in December., I am happy to see that your stay with us was a memorable one.

Thank you offering such a detailed and comprehensive review of your visit., as you captured the feel of La Residence perfectly.

Do not hesitate to let us know if you would like contact information to be able to purchase the fire log bags we have here directly from the manufacturer.

We hope that your schedule allows you to return once more and have another enjoyable time with us here in wine country.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Roseville, California
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My husband and I just returned from a short Napa getaway. We stayed at La Residence on a friends' recommendation, and they were absolutely right on! The entire staff were extremely friendly and helpful, we enjoyed the wine reception, continental breakfast, and just spending time in our beautifully appointed room! The fireplace bags were a nice touch, and having a Keurig in the room was fabulous!! We will absolutely be back, (but we are secretly hoping word doesn't get out and this little gem can stay our secret!)

Dear TammileeG,

Thank you for visiting La Residence recently and taking the time to review your time with us.

I'm glad to see that your friends recommendation was correct in choosing La Residence for your Napa getaway, who knows, next time around you should invite them along and enjoy wine country together.

That aside, I am happy to read that you enjoyed what we offer here, with breakfast and wine hour a good way to start your day and your evening prior to dinner.

When you return, we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in wine country.

Thank you again for your feedback.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

Bought a 'deal' for two nights here at $150 a night. Here is what happened:

1. Arrived on time for the wine and cheese reception which consisted of a handful of cheese, one meat and some crackers that were put out in small quantities. The wine pouring were mostly tasting pours and so one had to ask for four tastings to maybe get a glass of wine in total.

2. We were then taken to our room that was set at 61F. The heat would not turn up. We called the front desk who sent a technician that couldn't figure out what to do. Even though we were initially told that there were no more available rooms to move us to and that a space heater would help. A second complaint got us moved to a different room that was warmer but the heat didn't work again. Joy.

3. Breakfast consisted of cheap, processed pastries and breads. They also ran out of the one decent croissant because they only order 2 every morning. For $150 a night, serve your guests a warm, fresh breakfast please.

4. Their housekeeping does not respect 'do not disturb' signs. They will come into the room even if you request they don't.

5. Upon check out, we informed the person on call of what happened. Instead of making the effort to take notes and use constructive feedback, she made excuses for everything that went wrong.

Nothing about this hotel inspires any confidence. It is fine if you are looking for a place to stay and the weather is warm enough but do not waste good money thinking this is a romantic getaway. They do not cater to you at all and their customer service is the worst I have experienced in Napa.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank IHeartTravelYesIDo
Dear IHeartTravelYesIDo,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback from your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to read that we failed to meet your expectations during your visit to wine country.

Although we were unfortunate to suffer a breakdown to one of our heating units in the building you were originally reserved in, it seems that we failed on a number of areas outside of a cold room upon arrival.

I have since met with all concerned along with reviewing procedures in both housekeeping and breakfast service to immediately address any short comings we had during your visit.

I have reached out and left a message and would be happy to discuss further with the hope that you may consider us again once more in the future, allowing us to offer the La Residence experience that you should have enjoyed on your first visit.

Once again, we as a team truly appreciate your comments and feedback.

Graham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville

Been to SENZA Hotel? Share your experiences!