“Very lovely grounds” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Highland Park, Illinois
“Very lovely grounds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Charming rooms & setting; very nice people. Nestled along the highway but you'll never know it's there. Eclectic collection of original house and new quarters. Walk a very short way to a nice Bistrot, and La Res itself had a pleasant wine tasting cocktail hour. Pool not heated when we were there - 60 degrees outside.

Room Tip: room 18 is on the corner
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at SENZA Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear NancyTravels167,

Thank you for your recent stay with us in February. We are glad that you chose to enjoy your time in the Napa Valley with us here at La Residence and enjoyed what we have to offer.

Our location is perfect for offering seclusion, yet convenient to navigate Wine Country. We look forward to welcoming you back once more when your future travel plans allow.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Graham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

The pool was not heated and very disconcerting from the on-line photos. The hot tub is a hike from the main house. Mattress not comfortable and the shower, difficult to adjust the hot and cold. Called the mainline several times to request wake-up calls and no one picks up the line.

Room Tip: The pool was not heated and very disconcerting from the on-line photos. The hot tub is a hike from...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at SENZA Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Dear carmen r,

Thank you for taking the time to visit La Residence recently and offering feedback from your stay.

I will be sharing your comments with staff in regards to your comments and wake up call request. Our system defaults to a message system if unanswered, so I will be testing that also to make sure we do not miss a call in the future.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to offer insight into your stay and thank you for your visit.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I purchased a Groupon deal and was not expecting too much but knew I was in for a real treat when I pulled up on Saturday. The property was well-manicured, the staff was ever so friendly, and the room was ready at 10:30am (check-in time was at 3pm). The complimentary happy hour from 6-7pm was fabulous and the complimentary breakfast hit the spot. The receptionist recommended that we try Platypus Tours during our stay in the Napa Valley--we were blown away by how well everything fell into place and how La Residence and Platypus Tours complimented each other. We will definitely be returning here in the near future. :)

Room Tip: Make sure to double check with the receptionist that your room has a fireplace in it!
Dear Allison P,

As a local from San Francisco, we are very happy to see that you choose to stay with us in February.

With the Napa Valley having so many options for lodging, food and wine, we are thrilled that your stay with us and what we have to offer hit the spot.

Platypus is a definite "must do" and we are happy that everything fell into place for an enjoyable stay for you.

When you next have the urge to come back to Wine Country, please feel free to call me directly, as I will be more than happy to assist in making your next visit as memorable as the first.

Thank you for your review and feedback.

Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

It was unfortunate that we could not spend more than one night at La Residence. It was an intermittent stop over for us and everything about the place is charming. We were unable to exsperience all the amenities such as the evening wine tasting but the total ambiance of the place was really special. What made it even more special is that when you first make the turn on the street to their location you see a rundown haouse and you immediately think that you were sold a bill of goods so it was a pleasant surprise when we actually entered the grounds which are extremely well kept. Staff was attentive and helpful, especially Kara(?) from Alaska. My only suggestion for improvement is to change your source for toilet paper. It has the texture of fine grit sandpaper. The one other thing is that we were in room 21 which had lots of windows and lots of light which showcased the fact that the windows really needed to be cleaned. I would recommend this place to anyone who appreciates a spot to stay that does not need glitz, glamour and immediate access to the bustle of downtown. Great value and La Residence has earned the right to be recommended. Cheers!

Dear akh2oguy,

Thank you for choosing La Residence as a place to stop during your visit to California.

We are glad to see that you found La Residence to be a special place to relax, as we know this to be the case and are very fortunate to work here and call it home.

I will be sure to pass your compliment along to our fellow Alaskan and look into your comments made to improve the guest experience.

Provisions are in place to look to replace and address the dual pane units that are starting to internally fog slightly, due to seals between the panes. This is the case in the room you stayed.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope that should you travels bring you back this way again, that you will visit us once more.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

We visited La Residence right after Christmas 2012. I loved the serenity and old charm of the property. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. I typically am extremely picky about accomodations, to the point where I lysol everything and wrap the remote in a ziploc bag. There was no need for that here. The staff was very friendly and prompt to attend to our every need. If you are looking for a quiet get away with the one you love, I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Stay in the original mansion.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Pamela E,

Thank you for staying with us in December. We appreciate you taking the time to write your first review on tripadvisor about La Residence.

We have recently made some updates in our Historic Mansion and I am happy to see that you enjoyed your time there during your stay.

If your schedule allows a return to the Napa Valley in the future for some more R&R, please do not hesitate to let us know, as we would love to welcome you back once more and take good care of you.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

I'm an avid trip-taker, and in fact am an editor at a national magazine where I oversee the travel section so I did my due diligence in research before happening upon this property. My fiance and I were looking forward to staying there after I purchased a weekend visit for him as a birthday present. Unfortunately, I came down with a serious case of bronchitis in the days before we were set to go and called La Residence in the hopes we could reschedule. I mean, this was no common cold. I had to go to the E.R. and I was prescribed an inhaler. My fiance and I weren't even sleeping in the same room to keep him from getting it. When I called the day after my emergency room visit, a young lady answered the phone and told me that she would speak with a manager and see what they could do. I called back the following afternoon and was informed they would "consume" (aka keep my money) if the place didn't fully book out the night of my original stay. While I understand they have a reservation policy, I was astonished at the lack of caring and understanding exhibited, particularly because I doubt they would have wanted me to come down there and infect the rest of their patrons. After not receiving a promised call back, I made a final outreach to the property during which I discovered that they "consumed" my reservation, according to a rather brusque manager. Perhaps, based on their treatment of me, we were better off without the La Residence experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Kyra K
Dear Kyra K,

Thank you for the time taken to offer comment and feedback regarding your recent reservation at La Residence.

It does seem that we could have handled the situation better and I have followed up with staff to make them aware of this and prevent any repeat moving forward.

I truly appreciate you taking my call to discuss the situation further, and I am happy that we now have a solution following our conversation. I look forward to meeting you in person and allowing us to ensure that your lasting memory of La Residence is a positive one.

We look forward to seeing you soon in Wine Country.

Mullica Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

This secluded property just off the highway has every thing you need for a nice trip to wine country. Complementary breakfast and wine happy hour are icing on the cake. Rooms are nicely appointed with big windows, a fireplace,small fridge, robes and an ironing board. You can pay a lot more for the same things at other places.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at SENZA Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear Glenn A,

Thank you for your visit with us in January. We appreciate the time offered to give us feedback on your stay in the Napa Valley.

We are happy to see that you enjoyed the property along with our daily breakfast and wine hour. As you mention, La Residence is situated perfectly to explore wine country and all it has to offer, and judging by your other reviews for the Napa Valley, you did just that.

Should your travels pass this way again, we hope to welcome you back once more to La Residence.

Graham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
#2 of 6 in Yountville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,009 reviews
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
BEST WESTERN PLUS Elm House Inn

Been to SENZA Hotel? Share your experiences!