“Groupon Scam and very bland food”

Frida's Mexican Grill
Ranked #131 of 283 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: n/a
Olympia, Washington
“Groupon Scam and very bland food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I went to use my Groupon today (it was expiring tomorrow). After presenting the print out to the waitress, she came back and said it had already been used. I explained to her that I'd never even been to the restaurant before. The manager then came over and said that I had already used the Groupon. He pulled out a very worn sheet of paper with hand-written groupon numbers on it. I explained to him that we'd never used the Groupon before, nor had we ever even been to the restaurant before. He said it was used and he had the number written down on his paper that it was used on April 14th. I then pulled up the Groupon application on my phone and pulled up the Groupon on my account, showing that it was still active. He said to me that he uses Groupon too and that happens all the time. I explained that once he scans in a Groupon, it automatically shows as being used. He said that they don't scan them in, they just write them down. I told him that someone must have written down the number wrong, because I've never been there before. He said he would not accept my Groupon because he had the number written down on his piece of paper saying that it was used. I said to him that he was basically calling me a liar, and he just replied it has been used and we had to pay for the full meal. We are local in Napa and my husband has been in the restaurant industry for over 30 years as a chef and running restaurants. In his experience, managers have been fired for treating customers with such disrespect. We have never experienced such rude behavior before in our lives. I felt badly for the poor waitress, who had to stand there quietly while her boss refused to listen to us anymore. I will never go to that restaurant again. They have been reported to Groupon, which intends to follow up with this restaurant. I hope they don't let them get away with such behavior. It truly feels as though the manager is running a scam. Regarding the food, honestly, inspite of that experience, the only thing that stood out was the chicken wings and the guacamole. The ceviche had no flavor and the fish was water logged. The carnitas was over cooked. The Pollo verde was very bland. There are so many good Mexican restaurants to choose from in this area, I say go somewhere else!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Emily-and-Garrett

• Korean first
Dallas, Texas
“Our 'goto' Mexican cantina in Napa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Since we are from Texas and travel to Napa 8-10 times a year we tend to stray away from Mexican food and enjoy all the fine dining the valley has to offer. I must say if you are looking for some authentic Mexican fare in Napa, Frida's will never disappoint. The staff and food are always great, Monica (bartender/server) is amazingly friendly and always smiling, not to mention you can get a great Margarita anytime of the day. We suggest you try the breakfast, wonderful!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank HI1959
Illinois
“Can see why still in business”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Looking for good Mexican food. Looked on the reviews & decided let's go try. Salsa loved it & chips nice thin not too thin. Ordered the enchiladas & hubby ordered the fajitas all yummy
Def going back when in Napa
Ordered

1 Thank gizmo625
Goleta, California
“We go to Frida's quite often”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Frida's is named for artist Frida Kahlo. It's located in a small shopping center (with a tire center and a Sizzler next door). Parking is rather tight and the driveway is quite narrow. Jose is a very nice waiter, with a fun personality. The food here is good, typical Mexican food, but the portions are large and they have daily specials. I ordered guacamole to go with some chips and it was $7.95, which I thought was a little bit expensive. We've had some shrimp enchiladas too, which were tasty. The alcoholic drinks are good and on the strong side.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank kellygal_10
Southern Oregon Coast
“Used to be good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We've been going to Frida's for a few years and it was always excellent quality. I don't know what happened; this summer and today we had take-out and our food tasted old (chicken and pork). Don't know if the cook changed or they're trying to save money on the quality of the meat. Sorry to say that it's not good anymore.

• Visited November 2013