“Above average food”

Cross street: Pearl Street
San Francisco, California
“Above average food”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We heard good reviews of this place and decided to give it a try. The ambiance is good. However we were not very thrilled with the food. We have eaten better mexican food elsewhere in California. Service was good. The Chilaquiles was good but the tortilla soup and fish taco were ok. However I must say that their menu is unique.

• Visited December 2012

Napa, CA
“Gourmet Mexican restaurant”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Wonderful food, beautifully presented, and excellent service -- all in the family. We had superb scallop ceviche served in a shell with beautiful garnish that was as tasty as it was pretty. Queso fundido was outstanding - homemade tortillas and cheese with homemade chorizo in it. Classic chile relleno delicious, as were enchiladas, and flan was ultra creamy. Sangria was the best one I've had in a restaurant. We'll be back.

• Visited December 2012
Coppell, Texas
“Excellent food, friendly service”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Our three vacationing couples made reservations on the advice of a local resident. We had excellent food and excellent service. Definitely try the queso fundido! BostonBoxerMom must have just caught them on an off night. We will definitely stop in again on our next trip to Napa.

• Visited November 2012
SF Bay area
“All lovely...except the food.”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We looked at the menu outside and thought, this place looks perfect - attractive and reasonably priced. So we went in, and ordered the Shrimp Burrito and the Fish Tacos. And then we waited. And waited. Only 4 people were in the place, and while the hostess/waitress was very nice, it took forever. The chips and salsa were okay but the salsa had zero heat in it and seemed to be a blend of eggplant and something else...finally the food came - my fish tacos were okay, but nothing extraordinary and why they took forever to arrive is still a mystery. The shrimp burrito was another story - it came filled with lettuce and the thing was put on a grill and lightly browned, thus it was not the soft tortilla one usually encounters. The shrimp - what shrimp there were were almost raw - my partner declined to eat one of them and left much of her meal behind. I think something is going on as the most recent reviewer here had a similarly disjointed experience. Again, nice people, nice place inside, but I wouldn't go back.

• Visited November 2012
Boston
“So bad it was comical”
Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

First it took 10 minutes to get a menu despite 2 trips to the table to the waitress. I was brought soup I did not order. 20 minutes later I got my starter, stuffed jalepenos wrapped in an overly doughy crust. Despite the fact that I told her when I ordered that she could bring the starter with my meal, my main course, mushroom epinadas arrived at least 20 minutes after the starter that was obviously not finishing, with my silverware positioned across my plate. I told the waitress not to bother but she brought them anyway. One bite and I was done, the mushrooms were rotten!!!! My dinner companion got a shrimp stuffed pablanos pepper which had no shrimp in it. Probably a good thing considering the rotten mushrooms in my main dish. Only positive, they made a nice mango-jalepeno margarita although you had no choice of tequila - don't go there!