“Surprise lunch”

Cross street: Pearl Street
East Bay, CA
“Surprise lunch”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Context: we were wandering looking for lunch. We checked yelp and this place was within walking distance and got good reviews, so we headed in about noon on Friday.
Atmosphere: we were a little nervous when we walked in because there was only one other couple here, but we liked the look of the place and decided to give it a shot. We were glad we did. It's a somewhat upscale Mexican restaurant, with white tablecloths, colorful pillows at some tables, nice paintings and an attractive wood bar. It's small and quiet and very clean. Over the hour we were there the place got about half full.
Service: we were cheerfully greeted and told to sit where we wanted. Service was attentive, friendly and professional. We were given more salsa when we asked and the waiter chatted with us about how long hey had been there, 1 1/2 years and how long they had been serving breakfast and lunch, since september.
Food: they were still serving both breakfast and lunch.the menu was not traditional Mexican. There were about eight breakfast dishes,including not Mexican French toast (that's what they called it), and many egg dishes with a variety of sauces. Some dishes had sopes, others tortillas and still other chips.
Lunch included a special chipotle burger, mole with chicken,tacos, and fresh made guacamole. You are brought warm chips and fresh salsa to start. He salsa was medium spicy with lots of fresh chopped stuff. We had the enchiladas with mole but I asked for veg and was given beans and mex cheese. They were wonderful, with a rich, spicy brown mole with deep, intense flavor. I was served three. We also had a breakfast dish with corn tortillas, eggs, a red salsa and cheese all out under the broiler, served with a small chunk of guac and a bowl of beans that were soupy and very tasty. We also had a Mexican beer, served in tall beer glasses.
Overall: very good and we would return

• Visited January 2013

“Service was Awful. Sericive was so BAD that 2 other to tables behind us LEFT.”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Please STAY AWAY. Save Your money. I've traveled ALL the world however that place has to be WORST service EVER. And I mean it's the WORST place EVER. It takes forever to get your food. It took them MORE than an hour to get my chips & salas (REALLY)...... When I complained about my chips & salsa this is what they told me "Sorry we lost your order". How can you lose my order IS ONLY CHIPS & SALSA. I should have know better. OKAY I very stupidtly gave them the benefit of the doubt & my stupid assss... Decided to give it a try & order food well let me tell you that a took OVER TWO HOURS to get my food and I was NOT alone the table us (party of 10) were so feed-up witht there lame service that they left.
When I complained they asked for me to stay that they would make it up which they didn't and instead due to me complaining along with the table in the back they called me the "gritona" which in Spainsh means the yeller (Really) I was the only one that spoke Spanish & therefore all the English speaking customers wanted me to translate which I did and after that there LAME waitress decided to call me "la gritona" (the yeller). Bottom Line PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY. THIS PLACE IS NOT WORTH YOUR HARD EARNING MONEY. This place sucks big time.

Indianapolis
“All Around - Huge Disappointment”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Restaurant lacked ambiance - super boring - buzz kill - no music for the first half hour I sat. Food took forever to come out and the restaurant wasn't even busy. When our food arrived they got both orders wrong, but since we had waited so long we dealt with it. We were also charged more for both of our dishes from what we actually ordered. The wait-staff was oblivious, lacked attention to detail, & acted pre-occupied. We arrived craving good, mexican - we left completely unsatisfied. Not a whole lot of bang for your buck. Side-note: the chips were hard but the salsa was tasty.

San Francisco, California
“Above average food”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We heard good reviews of this place and decided to give it a try. The ambiance is good. However we were not very thrilled with the food. We have eaten better mexican food elsewhere in California. Service was good. The Chilaquiles was good but the tortilla soup and fish taco were ok. However I must say that their menu is unique.

Napa, CA
“Gourmet Mexican restaurant”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Wonderful food, beautifully presented, and excellent service -- all in the family. We had superb scallop ceviche served in a shell with beautiful garnish that was as tasty as it was pretty. Queso fundido was outstanding - homemade tortillas and cheese with homemade chorizo in it. Classic chile relleno delicious, as were enchiladas, and flan was ultra creamy. Sangria was the best one I've had in a restaurant. We'll be back.