“It's ok...not great”

Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Midlothian, Virginia
“It's ok...not great”
Reviewed 11 October 2008

An ok place to stay. I booked a room with a jacuzzi but the jacuzzi did not work. at first they said they would move us to a new room and were on their way to drop of the keys but then called and said that room was already rented so we were stuck. they did reduce our rate to the same as a room without a jacuzzi.
the hot breakfast was better than I had expected; eggs, potatoes, bacon, coffee, cereal, fruit, muffins, juice.
the room was clean, no frills. much cheaper than some of the other places in Napa. If I had to do it again, I would probably consider John Muir.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank toddkddot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Peoria, AZ
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Your average budget accommodations. I don't particularly like staying at hotels where the entrance to the rooms is on the outside of the bldg. but I was only here for one night. Lovely breakfast buffet incld. in price which is an added bonus. Beds not comfortable, but sleepable. Incld. small fridge, tiny bathroom with toilet and shower and vanity/sink on the outside of bathroom. Carpets need replacing as they are worn. All in all okay for someone not requiring anything luxurious or long term.

• Liked — $$$$
  • Disliked — Needs updating and carpet replacement
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank awright517
Illinois, USA
Reviewed 13 June 2008

We needed a place in Napa/Sonoma where we could spend a Saturday night. Most of the B&B's we looked at had two-night minimums, so even though we were prepared to spend more than the Hawthorn costs, we weren't able to.

We called Inn at Sonoma and were referred to a phone number, I think called StaySonoma, where supposedly they had access to which hotels had short-notice rooms available. We took the Hawthorn because it was in a decent location (we had a car available) and was $189 (about $205 total = high taxes).

The Hawthorn was acceptable. Room was clean. Bathroom was acceptable, but not great. Service guy was friendly and referred us to a fantastic vegetarian restaurant (Ubuntu) which we much appreciated.

The hotel room entrances are on the outside of the building. Ours faced the parking lot. I would have preferred a hotel with doors inside the building, but didn't realize this in time before we booked. Not exactly my idea of how one should enjoy themselves in wine country, but we managed to spend the money we saved on our room -- and spent it on wine and great food. Copia and Oxbow are both great places to stop.

• Liked — Proximity to downtown Napa (couple mins by car)
  • Disliked — Door faced outside.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingG123
lakeport, ca
Reviewed 30 April 2008

this is the second time I stayed here for medical reasons. It is best to stay on the second floor and as far back from the street as possible to avoid traffic noise. We liked our jaccuzzi suite especially since the spa and pool area was crowded in the evening and the next day their spa was cold and couldn't be used so I used the jaccuzzi in the room. I dont know if they turn the spa off during the day or if it was broken. I like this location since it close to shopping and restaurants. Since I live in a rural area (the sticks) shopping and finding a decent restaurant is a treat. The beds seemed fine to me I didnt think they were too hard. I stay here because it is cheap relative to many other hotels in the area, less than $100 for a regular room. Having a refrigerator & microwave is convenient. Orbiz seems to be the only booking service that lists this hotel. You also can earn Hyatt points altho they don't take Hyatt gift cards.

• Liked — in room spa
  • Disliked — traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cobbgirl
Apple Valley, CA
Reviewed 22 September 2007

My husband and I recently stayed 5 nights at this property and were pleased with everything except the beds. They were some of the hardest beds we have every encountered in a hotel. I don't just mean firm, I mean HARD. We have stayed in a lot of hotels and my husband travels for business, so we have a lot to compare in our minds. We are not fans of a soft bed either, but we felt these beds were way off the mark. We did not sleep well the whole trip, woke up with sore backs and hips. Not having good sleep certainly does affect a vacation. I asked the office if they had a foam topper we could use to make it more bareable but that was not available. If you like a really, really firm (hard) bed, you will not have a problem. If you like a comfortable nights rest in a reasonable bed you may want to consider another property. I was so disappointed that I am going to write to Hyatt and tell them I expected more from a well established hospitality company.

Other than the beds, the hotel was great. The extensive complementary breakfast each morning was my favorite part. Not just cereal and toast, but also egg, potatoes, and breakfast meat. Real OJ or apple juice, muffins, toast, bagels, etc, etc...
It was so nice! The room size was comfortable too, and we appreciated having a fridge and microwave. The free wireless interenet reception was not consistent and my husband had to acquire an ethernet cable from the front desk. Nonetheless, the internet was free. The bathroom was good too with the toilet and shower in a separate room from the sink and counter. I always like that. A real closet with plenty of space too and a couch (with reading lamp), coffee table and desk. Located right on the Silverado Trail just minutes from COPIA (a must see at beginning of your wine trip!) and very close to downtown Napa, just across the river.

The price was reasonable for high season and if it weren't for the uncomfortable beds I would return again to this hotel.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank applejanna

Travellers are raving about these Napa hotels

California
Reviewed 26 July 2007

The Good: Clean, newer, well-lit rooms with most of the typical amenities for motels in this price range, plus a microwave and mini-fridge. Decent hot and cold breakfast buffet in a clean, inviting public dining area. Helpful staff offered to print directions, was efficient, and was responsive to minor issues such as key cards and a blow dryer that each stopped working. Location was relatively convenient to major routes to the wineries; closest to the Carneros region and the southern Napa wineries. Target and grocery shopping was a quick hop away. Those with Hyatt points can stay here very inexpensively, especially relative to other accommodations during the high season. Adequate close parking.

The Bad: As others have noted, the location is loaded with eyesores, from the adjacent abandoned liquor store to the brightly lit car lots across the street and adjacent. I also agree that the beds could be more comfortable. Our room near the front of the building bore the full brunt of noises all night from the busy road; I couldn't have slept without earplugs, but perhaps rooms further from the street are quieter. The front desk gave very poor customer service regarding a significant reservation mistake they made; other encounters were polite, but not friendly. Those who have stayed in a Hawthorn suite will miss the large kitchen area in the Inn.

Overall, a decent value if you're a sound sleeper not looking for a particularly romantic Napa getaway.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank finickytripper
Southern California
Reviewed 19 July 2007

We just returned from a 2-night stay in Napa at the Hawthorn. There were five couples and we knew we would be out visiting wineries most of the day and out at dinner in the evenings. We didn't want to spend a lot on accomodations, yet wanted something appealing. The Hawthorn fit the bill. It is immaculate, quiet and the location quite convenient. The daily breakfast was convenient. We would all stay there again. The only complaint is that the beds were a little hard. We booked a bus and driver through Pure Luxury Tours and were very pleased with their service.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends