“White Rock Winery Tour”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“White Rock Winery Tour”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

White Rock and Henri's tour were awesome, intimate, informative, and extremely interesting. Not to mention Henri is just a straight-up awesome dude. The whole White Rock experience is a breath of fresh air from the commercial nature you get at many of the other vineyards. You really get the sense that Henri and his family truly love what they do and that is where their true passion and motivation lies. They offer reserve reds and whites, we started drinking Chardonnay after tasting their 2010 Vintage that is barrel fermented, estate bottled, grown and produced by them,the family's passion is apparent with each glass.( similar to my kids passion for xbox and steam). The natural beauty of the cave rock dry lava, volcanic ash keep the consistent temperature that make it a perfect atmosphere to ferment and age high quality wines. Compliments to Christopher and Michael Vandendriessche.

You have to make reservations in advance - check out the website (but don't judge White Rock by the simple, un-fancy nature of it) and shoot Henri an email. You won't regret it!!!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Ckrem

Little Rock, Arkansas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Winemaking Old School”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We loved our visit to White Rock. We had a personal tour with the owner Henri. He is a Berkley trained economist that wondered from France to Napa wine making back in the early 70's. It is a family winery that produces amazing chardonnay and cabernet in both an old Burgundy style and a more fruit forward style. We loved the attention to detail in both styles.
The cave is amazing. Unlike most wine caves, this one is carved into stone. It is old lava flows. The gun-nite present in almost every cave is here in the opening but it gives way to beautiful caverns carved into the stone in the rear of the cave. You get a real sense of the layers that the vines grow down into.
The tasting was laid back and full of information about the process and the owner's opinions on the various techniques. Even the bottle stacking storage technique was unique.
This is a small winery probably incapable of hosting huge numbers of tours but for a unique experience in Napa, you should add this winery to your list. You will not regret it.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank CRCaldwell
Marlton, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Unique and very quality experience”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I appreciated how personal this tour was. You could tell how proud Henri, the owner and tour guide, is of his craft. We learned so much from him. It was just my mother and I and he took us on a personalized tour and tasting completely free of charge. We were able to meet one of his son's who is the wine maker. It was wonderful to hear how this was such a family run business. This was a different experience from anything else we did in Napa/Sonoma. He was actually one of the few people that took us out to the vineyards. I really enjoyed the Claret wine that they make there. The caves were incredible. I highly recommend visiting this tour if you are in the area. It will be different than anything else you do.

Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
591 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 457 helpful votes
“AMAZING GEM...go if you can”
Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

I almost don't want to write this review because others may flock here. This winery is small but was one of the best we have ever visited. It is not commercial but with really wonderful wines. I especially loved the reds and my friends the whites so they have a wonderful selection. If you want a unique experience to "tell the kids about," this will give it to you. The wine caves were beautiful and the owner of the vineyard gave us a wonderful tour and overview of how they make the wine. I haven't been in anything like the wine caves and I just didn't want to leave. When I go back to Napa, I will definitely go back here. I ordered a case of wine which I also can't wait to get home to drink!!!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Must See Winery/Vineyard”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Personalized tour. Small, out-of-the-way winery that specializes in French-style wine. A nice change from the larger, busy wineries and vineyards. A must see for wine connoisseurs.

Visited November 2012