“Friendly Tasting But Overpriced Wines”
Review of Baldacci Vineyards

Baldacci Vineyards
Ranked #61 of 195 things to do in Napa
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I liked this place but I didn't love this place. First off, this is a super friendly tasting room. I felt welcomed like a member of the family from the minute I parked the car. Niceness is getting harder and harder to come by in the Napa Valley and I like when a winery gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling as soon as I arrive. Nice folks and a friendly dog, what more could you ask for?

The tasting room has a small indoor space and a quaint outdoor patio. It was windy the day we visited so we opted to taste inside. Appointments are required so make sure to call ahead. They could accommodate us the same day but it's best to plan ahead as your mileage may vary.

The wine tasting was a nice experience but jeez it was so expensive. Know before you go that their Classic Tasting is $20 per person and their Reserve Tasting is $40 per person. You'll want to taste the reserve wines but wow, that is a lot to pay to taste. I know charging for tastings is the new trend that's here to stay, but call me crazy: I thought the point of wine tasting is so that wineries can get their brand out there and convert casual tasters into one of their loyal legions of wine drinkers. I don't mind paying a modest tasting fee, but $20 - $40 PER PERSON? Come on! I'm not trying to pick on Baldacci here, it's a problem plaguing most wineries nowadays. (And yeah, even if I don't buy a bottle during my visit, I always leave a tip for the pourer and I make a note to either come back to buy a bottle before I leave to fly home or I buy / order once I return home).

To be fair, Baldacci does refund your tasting fee with a purchase, but the purchase requirements were really high ($20 fee refunded with $80 purchase / $40 refunded with $200 purchase). Sorry guys, but "thanks for nothing!" While I very much enjoyed the wines we tasted, I thought they were simply overpriced for what they were. It's not that the wine wasn't delicious because it was -- but it was $60 worth of delicious, not $125. I understand a small family vineyard and high quality winemaking processes but it you are going to charge over $100 for a bottle of wine, it had better be awesome.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The weather was perfect for our wine tasting on the patio. You can tell the staff is passionate about the wines with the enthusiasm that they describe each tasting as it is poured. Rightly so! All their wines are excellent, but their Chardonnay is my favorite. A stop here is highly recommended!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had a tasting here last weekend. We did our tasting on the patio overlooking the lovely grounds. The winery is a family operation which we were able to see first hand. Michael, one of the sons, did our tasting. We never felt rushed and he was eager to answer any questions we had. The wines were great and we look forward to visiting in the future!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We went to Baldacci after our friends raved about it. We were not disappointed. The cabs, as expected were big, bold and reasonably priced. The chardonnay, to our surprise, was some of the best we tasted anywhere. They only produce 5000 cases, so I will probably join this wine club to make sure we do not miss out. The place is very small, and will not really jump out at you when driving down the Silverado Trail, but if you like great wine, go. Thanks to Elizabeth in the tasting room for being so nice even though we were in a hurry to another appointment.

1  Thank WildcatGuy
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We went to Baldacci after another winery suggested to go there. We like small family run wineries and were not disappointed. I loved the wines, some other advisor said they were too costly, but I think (sometimes) get what you pay for, if you know what you like. I like big cabs, and they were delicious!