“It looked clean...”
Review of Chardonnay Lodge

Chardonnay Lodge
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Booked based on rate. When we arrived I was a bit worried as it is on the outskirts of town & across from a school. Busy street. It looked out of place. At check-in I found it odd that they kept the front door locked, you had to buzz in. Old place & very small tub in our bathroom, but I can put up with all of those things for the price for1 or 2 nights.

We were pleasantly surprised, at first, as the room appeared clean, well laid out & spacious enough. Worst part was finding out how dirty the carpet was!!

My daughter took a shower, sat on the bed to put her socks on & I gave her heck for not washing her feet well.... only to find out that was the dirt she picked up from the carpet on her damp feet! They were black!! We wiped her feet clean & she walked around again...same thing!!! We were grossed out by that.

In the morning as I checked out I told the mgr of our experience & said I wanted to give him the courtesy to tell him in person. He gave me some excuse that the carpets were to be cleaned in that room but they had someone in it for 4 days that wouldn't let them in. He didn't offer a discount or anything. So, here is my warning. If you can't find any place else with reasonable rates, then go ahead and book, but keep feet covered and don't put anything on the floor.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Theresa D
There are newer reviews for Chardonnay Lodge

Reviewed 15 May 2014

If you are looking for a small, clean, well located and reasonably priced Motel then you will not be disappointed. If you are looking for the Hilton...keep looking. The owner was very helpful and friendly when we checked in. She gave us several winery and restaurant recommendations and a few discount offers. No restaurant on the grounds but a short walk (about 1/2 mile away?) is a fabulous old style eatery and bakery (well worth the walk). Location is close to downtown Napa as well as close to highway access to Napa and Sonoma wine country. Daily maid service with replenished water and granola bars. As others noted rooms have paper-thin walls so be prepared for that (traffic and guest noise). The only real complaint is the beds/pillows (painfully hard)! The "character" feature is the private little sitting area at the front (between the grape vines). We enjoyed our dinner and wine most nights with the sun setting on us.

Room Tip: Try to stay close to middle of property to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johncrawcarp
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I made the mistake of booking this place twice, staying once, getting charged after a timely cancellation the second time..read on. the first stay was "o.k." not really terrible but fair-to-middling. small room. loud highway traffic noise thru thin walls. but the price was right so I made the mistake of booking a room again on a later trip ...BAD IDEA!!!

The next time I made a reservation, a year later, I cancelled my room 10 days in advance, then got billed by the hotel anyway and had to write numerous emails and was verbally abused by chardonnay management on the phone. the Chardonnay was adamant they were not going to refund my money until finally Priceline, who I had booked thru, stepped in and advised in writing that I should not been charged and told my bank I should get a refund which I did thanks to my bank and priceline. priceline was great the whole way. My cancellation had been made by email thru Chardonnay as they were sending me reservation emails so that is why I cancelled with them which was ok with priceline. Evidently the Chardonnay doesn't either read their emails or intentionally set me up to charge me after I cancelled which I believe is what they did. they were incredibly rude STAY AWAY!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't ever, ever stay at this place
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I took a last minute trip for our 10th anniversary. We found this hotel on one of the major online booking sights. The rate was very reasonable. We checked in very late at night and got checked into the smallest room I have ever seen. It was smaller than my room at home. The room was clean and quite "cute". The bed was VERY hard so we didn't sleep very well. We got up early the next morning for sight seeing, my shower ran cold half way through, the front desk said to wait 10 minutes and try it again so I did. The second attempt was worse than the first, with the hot water only lasting 4 minutes. The owners were very nice about it when I checked out and gave me a reasonable discount.

Room Tip: Room 1 was very very small
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amanda l
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed at Chardonnay Lodge for one night during a visit to Napa in May 2013. The hotel (or motel, as it actually is) was selected due to a combination of price and reviews. The room in itself was nothing more than OK. If you are looking for a good place to stay in Napa without spending a fortune this is the place. The room was average comfortable size, nicely decorated, very clean. The rooms were old and it was like an old motel you saw on US highways before the interstate system. We enjoyed our stay at this lodge.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DarrellMali
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We came into town for my Moms service and was so distraught we forgot to make reservations for somewhere to stay. All the nice Hotels were all booked and we were desperate!
Well, We thought, Motel six always has rooms since unfortunately we had been there twice. Shocked but they were sold out. Then we looked right next door and saw Chardonnay Lodge.
That was the best find ever! The rates were equal to Motel 6 and even better. Wow compared to Motel 6 it was night and day. Just remember it is NOT close to down town or wineries. But if you need a nice place to crash it is worth it to stay there.

Room Tip: Please remember to ask for a room in the back of the Motel. Traffic starts at 6am across the street...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Annettenh3
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at Chardonnay Lodge for one night during a visit to Napa in July 2013. The hotel (or motel, as it actually is) was selected due to a combination of price and reviews. The room in itself was nothing more than OK. A little too dark (dark curtains, floor carpet, pillows etc), and with dimmed light in the room, but clean enogh and a comfortable bed. In general OK, but somewhat worn. Bathroom small, but clean. We though it was somewhat closer to the city centre of Napa (Guess we should have studied tha map better), but it probably took us 25 minutes to walk to the city centre, where all restaurants and stores are. There is no breakfast, but tea/coffee in the room. No other facilities. Do not expect much, but if you get a good price it is Ok for a night or two.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple