“Clean, friendly desk staff, nearby food options”
Review of Motel 6 Napa

Motel 6 Napa
Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Napa
San Francisco, California
“Clean, friendly desk staff, nearby food options”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Went to Wine Country Ukulele Festival with friends in September and stayed at this Motel 6 on Solano Avenue. The desk clerk who checked us in was friendly and professional and went out of her way to give our group three rooms next to each other. Nothing fancy, but our room was clean, had two queen beds, a small dorm-sized fridge. free bottled water, big dining table, a large-screen TV, free wi-fi in the room. Bathroom was clean, plenty of towels. There's a pool, which I didn't use, and plenty of parking. Nice big supermarket and and a couple of small eateries in a strip mall just across the road, lots of other food options within a 1/2 mile. Only complaints were no ledge in the shower stall for shampoo and bath items, and the electrical plug under the TV console came out of the wall when I unplugged my phone charger. A bit pricey for a Motel 6 but considering the location, I wasn't surprised - overall, a pretty nice place to stay.

Room Tip: This isn't a huge place, so all the rooms are well-situated. There is plenty of parking and we h...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Ill start by saying we had had a queen size bed and the bed nearly took up the entire floor space of the room. This room is tiny compared to other hotels similarly priced. No complaints about the bed, it was comfortable. There is small table that sits right next to the bed that you have to negotiate to even get in and out of the bed from one side. Not a huge deal unless you have mobility issues.
The shower in this particular room was less than clean and the water pressure fluctuated from an even pressure to a drizzle. They may have been having some pressure issues as the toilet took a couple flushes to clear out the bowl.

Now, on to our nightmare experience with customer service. I travel quite a bit and i'm pretty reasonable when it comes to low budget hotels. However, this experience was the worst I've ever experienced.
It started at 7:30 am on a Sunday morning. We were woken up by an angle grinder grinding on a metal railing right outside of our hotel door. There were also some welding being done which we could smell through the doors. But the grinding was the absolute worst. My girlfriend and I couldn't even hear ourselves talk and we were right next to each other in bed. After realizing the grinding wasn't going away, I made a call to the front desk and the girl at the time had no idea this was going on. She also had no authority to have it stopped. I asked for a manger and conveniently, no manager was available on a Sunday. I also asked to be moved to a different unit and there was no room available. Needless to say, the metal grinding went on until we checked out.
I understand that routine maintenance has to be done, but I would expect more on a Sunday in Napa. Additionally, if they were going to be doing work, then those 2 or 3 rooms should have been blocked from reserving.
I left a message for the Manager Monday morning and my call was not returned. I again called on Tuesday and talked with Maggie. I told her when we stayed before telling her the issue and her attitude changed to poor at best. After explaining the situation she became very defensive and suggested to me that the work didn't begin until after 9am. I told her that was incorrect and I have a time stamped photo of men working at 8am. She went on to say how the work had been scheduled for some time and that the contractor could not deviate from the schedule. I understood that, but why rent those rooms if you can forese an issue?
Nevertheless, she was not apologizing, would not even consider a partial credit, and quite frankly, was terribly rude and condescending.
I guess expecting a good nights sleep is unreasonable at this particular hotel.
Unfortunately, this Motel 6 is privately owned so the only thing customer service can do is log a complaint.
All in all, I would not stay here nor recommend staying here. If you have an issue, your not gonna get any resolution.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rebellion69
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Napa, responded to this review, 6 November 2013

Travellers are raving about these Napa hotels

San Diego
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Booked this hotel when we decided to go to Napa last minute and nearly all the other hotels were booked over the Labor Day weekend. Although the price was high for most Motel 6, it was much lower than other chain hotels in the area and there were rooms available. After reading other Tripadvisor reviews, I was a little concerned. It had been years since staying at a Motel 6 and I know it is a budget hotel. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean with IKEA type furniture. The sheets were comfortable and the towels were comparable to other hotels like Hilton. There was a little mold in the shower, but not uncommon for budget chain hotels. Free parking, free cable, free WiFi and good location make it a good deal. There is a pool and large patio area with tables and chairs. There is a mall across the street with a food store and restaurants. There is easy access to highway 29. No shampoo, conditioner or lotion in the room and no free breakfast, just coffee. It was quite at night and the hotel was full. This is not a resort hotel, but comfortable, clean, convenient and reasonable priced.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2013

OMG! The room with 2 beds was all of 8'x8', no dresser, plastic type floors that our dogs were afraid to be on, and the bathroom was unfinished and disgusting! Checked in and checked out within the hour. At least they refunded our money but were not nice about it. Told us they just renovated. Yeah, umm, they cut every room in half. I know this because we stayed there 4 years ago when it was the Redwood Inn and it was not bad then. Extremely disappointing! Pay a few dollars more to be treated like a human being! If I could give this a negative rating I would! Hey Tom Bodett, turn off the light!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janet G
Reviewed 4 June 2013

The Rooms Are filthy! I Have Stayed Here For 3 weeks Every Room I have stayed in has mold around the shower. you guys just do not clean your rooms you are filthy. you don't even change your sheets. I have left stickers on her sheets to make sure that you changed in with notes specify to change them and you never do all you do is fold them right back into our beds with other people's hair in Them.

• Stayed May 2013
Ukiah, California, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Was shopping for a nice affordable hotel to basically just sleep at after a long day at a music festival. Room was small, but clean. Hardwood floors were a nice surprise. Bed linens were worn and outdated and the bathroom had absolutely ZERO toiletries. (We had to ask for a bar of soap from the from desk.) The pool and surrounding patio area were nice and quite roomy, and the parking lot was well lit. Overall, it was exactly what we expected - nothing more, nothing less.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the maids closet!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Sacramento
Reviewed 19 May 2013

When I came back from my function at 9:00 pm; there were 8 men standing on the balcony drinking beer, smoking cigarettes and cigars 1 room down from my non-smoking room, plus playing salsa music loud enough for the whole side of the complex to hear.Their after-work party lasted until 11:30pm.
I think the Noise problem has been on-going because there are signs in the lobby about "loud Partying will not be tolerated"; however such actions were totally ignored by the staff.
The room was clean, very small, and very noisy. The clean was good, except what it smelled totally of bleach. The room was small, didn't have a microwave or coffee; laminate instead of carpet. The bed was hard as a rock, pillow like a brick.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple