“Very nice, but likely won't return”

Carneros Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
California
“Very nice, but likely won't return”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We went recently for a double birthday and newly pregnant celebration (first time at Carneros). I called the hotel to notify them of our celebrations, expecting some sort of acknowledgement or gift upon check-in, but received nothing. For a hotel of this caliber, I expected more. At other resorts, when it is a special occasion, we received upgrades, wine, gift basket on arrival and the like. I also thought as an iPrefer member, we would receive special acknowledgment, but nothing. Additionally, we forgot dental floss - when we called the front desk, they told us to go to the market to get it. While I understand not all extras or toiletries are free, most hotels will go beyond to bring something so small to a guest. Again, we expected more for such a high-end resort.

That said, the cottage was very nice with an extremely comfortable bed and luxurious shower. The heated floors in the bathroom were an excellent touch. We enjoyed the fireplace in our room and the heated patio.

Dinner at Farm was delicious. Boon Fly was a huge disappointment for our entire group. My husband and dad's eggs had to be sent back twice, the American breakfast was overpriced. I will say the signature doughnuts were delicious though.

We played Bocce ball our first day and there was an extremely loud, obnoxious group on the court next to us. While I understand this is a public use area, the hotel should take measures to ensure the appropriate behavior of anyone using the facilities. This group had multiple empty beer cases and wine bottles, were loud, swearing profusely, girls sleeping on the bench, girls crying, men yelling. It was extremely odd that with children and guests around that a staff member did not ask them to leave.

Overall, while we enjoyed the property and room, with so many luxury hotels in Napa, we will likely not return here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelgirl041984
CarnerosInnkeeper, General Manager at Carneros Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear travelgirl041984,
Thank you very much for letting us know about your stay.
I am sorry your father’s eggs were not prepared properly and that you felt it was overpriced at Boon Fly. I will share your comments with the staff.
We take great measures to insure guests enjoy themselves but never if their activity disturbs others. We have taken such measure in the past and will continue to do so. I apologize that we missed this incident.
I do hope however that you reconsider visiting us again.
Please contact me directly if you do. I would like to make your arrangements personally and insure a trouble free stay.
Philip Kendall, VP of Resort Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Truly a wonderful retreat and magical environment! When you are tasting so many wines and going between wineries - to go back to your own private cottage, relax in your own garden, have a hot shower under the flawless stars - or go to the 24-hour open hot tub and salt water pool where an ice bucket for your wine awaits and some ice waters - it's so well thought out and so chill, yet attentive!

One morning we had breakfast at the Hilltop and then took a place by the top adult pool and simply sat by the pool, drank cocktails to change it up from wine (really awesome Mojito) and then we swam and enjoyed the view!

I adored this resort and the dining options on site.

Go there - get drunk on your patio with your outdoor heater and lounge chairs - stare at the stars with your loved one and play chill music - I swear it transcends you!!

Room Tip: To book your room - I would call the hotel direct - do it old school! My husband chatted to the girl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rokhsy
CarnerosInnkeeper, General Manager at Carneros Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Rokhsy,
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Thank you too, for sharing your experience and guidelines for a transcendent stay. The staff will appreciate your comments. We strive to deliver an experience like you have described to each of our guests. We can’t wait for your return!
Our best,
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

What a perfect, blissful Napa retreat! From the moment we arrived for our ten year wedding anniversary trip, we were greeted warmly by name (by the sweet front desk girl) and catered to; the staff is exceptionally courteous and driven by providing guests with the finest of experiences (thank you, Jason)! Our Harvest cottage was luxurious, surpassing our expectations; the bathroom was grand, boasting a heated slate floor, the living area's fireplace was perfect as it operated on a timer, and the outdoor patio was quiet and relaxing (and the amenities, like the fire pit and soaking tub, were put to good use)! We indulged in spa treatments during our stay, and the therapists were absolutely amazing. Bikes are also available to ride from the property to local wineries, giving guests a different perspective of the beautiful surrounding area. The food was delicious (Boon Fly Cafe is top-notch), the pools were gorgeous... I simply cannot speak highly enough of The Carneros Inn. Your stay and the memories you leave with are worth every penny!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank RHOIE
CarnerosInnkeeper, General Manager at Carneros Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear RHOIE
Thank you very much for letting us know about your stay! Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary! I will share your comments with the staff and especially Jason! We are very proud of our cottages and the Harvest Cottage can make for a romantic stay. I am glad you both enjoyed it. We look forward to welcoming you back next year.
Cheers,
manhattan beach
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We visited the Caneros Inn on our way to Calistoga. I wish we had cancelled out second redo and stayed here for the whole holiday. Everything surpassed my expectations. The room was large, luxurious and had a back yard with heaters, fire pit and outdoor shower and bathtub. The gym was huge and had everything you could need, including a lap pool (that doubles as the family pool). The adult pool and spa are world class and the restaurants on site have first class service to go with their first class cuisine. The staff worked overtime to make the experience first class. They even sent the house Audi A8i to pick us up from dinner when all the golf carts where being used. The concierge staff made sure we had everything we needed and secured some very challenging dinner reservations! Again, Cant wait to get back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear charlessouthy,
Thank you very much for your account of how your stay materialized! We are flattered that you decided to change your plans and stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed yourself and I look forward to sharing your comments with the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Our best,
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hotel has gone downhill a bit. They don't seem to be maintaining it as well as they have in the past. My sink had no cold water (both faucets ran hot) and the middle shower jet did not work. The staff was not as attentive as we experienced previously. Service at the Farm was slow. It took 20 minutes to get a sandwich at the market. The walkway to the pool has suffered significant erosion. However, it is a very picturesque resort although a bit far from the wineries.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer F
Dear Jennifer F.
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I will address the water temperature and shower jet issues in your room right away. I am sorry you did not find the staff as attentive and the service taking too long. The walkway to the pool is scheduled to be repaired in the coming months. I hope you give us another chance. Please reach out to me personally if I can be of service.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Napa! The Carneros Inn was absolutely just what we wanted. Our cottage was beyond expectation...from the inviting rocking chair on the porch to the heater above the adirondack chairs in our private courtyard, it was cozy and very well appointed. The outdoor shower, fireplace, bowl of apples and complimentary beverages were nice touches too. In honor of our 10th anniversary, the manager delivered a bottle of champagne from neighboring winery, Domaine Carneros just after we arrived - what a meaningful gesture! We loved Boon Fly Cafe both for dinner and breakfast as well as in-room dining! And the Hilltop Dining Room for breakfast overlooking the rolling vineyards is a MUST. The spa was wonderful as well as the scenic pool. Don't miss a stroll through the property featuring an apple orchard and sweeping views! It does get windy and cool here in the early evenings which I feared might be a problem, but for this Texan, it was just what I loved so much (an escape for us!)! I truly wouldn't stay anywhere else in the Napa or Sonoma area!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bsamuels
CarnerosInnkeeper, General Manager at Carneros Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear BSamuels
Thank you for your kind review.
We hope you return soon, perhaps for your next Anniversary?
I am glad it didn’t get too cool at night.
It was our pleasure to have you both as our guests.
Cheers,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Everything about our stay here was wonderful. We loved having our own little cottage, the service was great and the views are stunning. We enjoyed every minute we were there. This is definitely my only hotel choice for our next stay in Napa.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Amstravels14
Thank you very much letting us know about your stay.
Please come back soon and enjoy more time with us!
Philip Kendall, VP of Resort Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Bardessono
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville
The Westin Verasa Napa
The Meritage Resort and Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!