“Interesting place”

Carneros Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
“Interesting place”
Reviewed 14 November 2005

We decided to stay here on a whim and enjoyed it -- they gave us roughly a 50% discount for our last minute booking -- apparently, the Vineyard Cottages are normally $675 and we got a $330 rate. Even $330 seemed a bit steep for what you get but we enjoyed our stay.

If you stay on a weekend, you won't have to deal with any of the construction noise. Driving through the construction is no big deal but I could see how the noise would be annoying on weekdays. The rest of the cottages and the lodge are all done and this is where you spend your time.

The cottages are elegant -- the indoor/outdoor shower is fun. Heated tile floors are a nice touch. Flat-screen TV with decent picture. Overall, a well-designed room. Not sure I get the court-yard benefit -- seems like wasted space -- the outdoor heaters allow you to read on a cold morning but the walls are so high you can't see outside of the courtyard. BTW, don't buy the 1000 square feet thing -- they're including the outdoor patio. Rooms are closer to 500-600 square feet. Note: our vineyard cottage did not have a view of the vineyard -- unlikely that any of the cottages did, but they charge a $200 premium for these rooms. The views from the main lodge however are very peaceful. The pool/hot tub also have a view of the vineyards and surrounding rolling hills. The design of the resort, while pretty spread out, fits the Carneros area well.

Service is OK but not nearly that of a high-end resort. The concierge is young but goes out of her way to help.

Overall, a nice play to stay. The cottages give you a good amount of privacy and are probably ideal for a couple with a young child. The rack rates, however, are simply too high and if you can't get a discount, I think you should look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Reviewed 27 October 2005

My stay in the beautiful Napa Valley during harvest season was outstanding except for my accomodations. The Carneros Inn, while in an absolutely picturesque location, leaves a lot to be desired at this point in time. There is a lot of construction going on which is slated to continue through most of 2006. It is very obtrusive as one must drive through a construction zone to get to the property and walk through a construction zone to get to dinner at one of the restaurants. The service is mediocre, at best and very tardy. My cottage, while very well appointed, was not as clean as one would expect for having paid nearly $500/night. For example, the glass shower was opaque with water stains and soap scum which the property exclaimed was due to the hard water in the valley. Overall, I was very disappointed with what I got for the price that I paid. I may return, someday, but only well after the construction/renovations are completed.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 22 October 2005

I can understand differences in opinion as it is all subjective, but my goodness, the Carneros Inn is spectacular. The rooms are fabulous with a very simple clean line and the surrounding area is what wine country is all about, surrounded by the mountains, vineyards and agriculture...Needless to say they are still doing construction, but once past the entrance, unless you dwell on it, it is easily overlooked...the opportunity to sleep with a fire going and doors open where you can smell the fresh air and hear owls while you drift off to sleep, well, it was just heaven. The staff although in some cases quite young, were attentive, friendly and accomodating. Our last evening we ordered room service and watched a DVD from their library, by the time I put the basket out after finishing, they picked it up before I could unpause the DVD, p.s. the food was delivered within 20 min and was hot and delicious. I can not say enough about the Spa...small and nurturing with attention to personal detail. It was not ornate or super plush, but I have not ever felt so relaxed and pampered in a spa (and I am a spa girl), both my services were longer than promised and there was no feeling of being a number and having to move it along. If you are looking for an ornate lobby, loud bar, snotty concierge and no fresh air, no this is not your place, if you are looking for a homey and private atmosphere with elegant and sophisticated touches to come home to after a day of wine tasting or ballooning, where you can walk up to a lovely restaurant and put the car keys away..you can stop searching. Don't miss the moon rise from the hot tub!!!!

7 Thank livlarge
Reviewed 18 October 2005

I have no idea what some of these people were thinking when they gave their reviews but we had an incredible time at the Carneros Inn. My wife and I just celebrated our 20th anniversary there this past week for 5 days and had such a good time. First off, it is an interesting looking resort but, that's part of it's charm. The rooms were incredibly comfortable and luxurious with the heated floors in the bathroom, plasma tv's, comfortable bed, fireplace, and best of all alfrescco shower. I took an outside shower in the cool air every morning. We had breakfast at the hotel every morning visiting both the Hilltop and Boonfly cafe and both were beyond excellent. The food was outstanding. Both my wife and I had massages at the spa and I for one had one of the best I have ever had. My wife and I have stayed at some of the nicest hotels around the country and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Upon arriving at the hotel, they offered to upgrade us to a family suite because of our anniversary but we declined as we really weren't going to use the extra space. They did send us a bottle of sparkling wine which was very appreciated. A couple of days before our trip I had worked with Christy at the concierge who was very helpful and went out of her way to make sure we got reservations wherever we wanted them. If you are looking for a generic hotel with no real ambiance this is not the place. If you want out of the box luxury and a pampered touch you need to try The Carneros Inn. I would come back here anytime.

Stayed October 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hong Kong
Reviewed 17 October 2005

Stayed for 2 nights with my wife. Nice interior fitting; real fire place, heated slate floor in bath room. Over all landscaping to be improved, and too much construction is going on for the new phase. Construction begin at 8:00 in the morning, when my wife & I tried to sleep in duirng our getaway. (Given the construction, request for room that is far from the worksite) Service is OK, an impression that the overall staff is friendly but new to the Inn. House-keeping is not taking attention to details. (house-keeping staff has tidy-up our room, but "carelessly" left our sleepwear on a rather dirty suitcase after all the travel. On the day we check-out, house-keeping came to our room at around 10 given check-out time at noon. Felt like being pushed to leave) Given the price, we expect better attention to details

Competent staff on concierge. They were able to reserve a table for me, hassle-free, at the French Laundry given I'm at the other side of the world (Hong Kong).

p.s. the ranch style is a highly subjective preference, you either found it hip or concern it's like a converted trailer park

4 Thank Lawrence T
Reviewed 15 October 2005

We picked the Inn for our Honeymoon and our only regret was not staying longer. The accomodations were spotless and wonderful. The staff were attentive and everyone was lovely and extremely accomodating. I will never stay anywhere else in Napa.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 October 2005

My sisters and I went to Napa for my birthday. After much research for wineries, restaurants and hotels--I decided on the Carneros Inn. I wanted a boutique hotel experience with Spa amenities--this seemed good. I was a little leary of the newness factor, but I also liked the newness factor. I made reservations on-line, when I called back with a Priceline deal-- they were very accomodating in adjusting the rate. We drove and it was a hard place to find. The concierge directed us to enter the property from the back--there were no signs and lots of construction. The arrival experience was disappointing. Once inside the property, the rooms are delightful-- unique architecture and streamlined decor (with plasma TVs), although the cottage was narrow and hard to manuever in, especially with 2 Double beds. There were also no mirrors in the room, except the bathroom-- it was hard for all of us to get ready. The outdoor fireplaces near the lobby were great--very cozy and crackling! Regarding the SPA, the website is confusing and the reps were unclear about treatment schedules and locations and mixed up the treatments that were booked by me and my sisters. I was excited about the Garden Scrub --grape seeds, fruit pulp and other ingredients, but it was a lackluster experience and I found it disappointing for a 4-star Spa. Sadly, our original lunch plans at well-known Buchon were cancelled due to a fire. The hotel concierge were not helpful in arranging other plans. I wish I had spent more time at the pool-- it was fantastic! An amazing infinity pool overlooking the vineyards--very beautiful and tranquil. The white adirondack chairs were pure solace on the hillside. The server brought wines poolside--it was fabulous, truly a dreamy experience. The restaurant overlooking the pool served a nice breakfast. That was my only restaurant meal on property. Mustards restaurant was amazing!--worth the wait! Despite the glitches, I would try Carneros again--these issues could get resolved as they get more experienced and established.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Bardessono
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford
The Meritage Resort and Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!