“I Love This Hotel!”

Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
New York
“I Love This Hotel!”
Reviewed 26 April 2006

Carneros Inn is amazing! People who don't like the style shouldn't stay in the Carneros region. The Inn has done an incredible job building a luxury inn in a style that doesn't compete with the natural modesty of this area of the Napa Valley.

The beds and linens are heavenly - my favorite thing about the inn! The outdoor showers are truly wonderful way to start the day - ours had a little window that looked out over the vinyards. The staff is attentive and the views from the porches are just magnificent. I love the infinity jacuzzi up by the main house too. It was our 2nd stay, and the concierge left a bottle of wine in our room to welcome us back. The whole experience was wonderful.

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank hotelgirl111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 March 2006

This was not at all the type of resort we were expecting. Horribly overpriced and quite lacking in service. The rooms from the outside look like trailers. Inside they are nicely furnished, though on the small side. For the price we expected much, much more. The service at the Boonfly Cafe was terrible. The food was average. All in all a very bad experience, one we will not repeat.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SF Bay area
Reviewed 16 February 2006

This was our first visit to the Inn. I wanted a location between Napa and Sonoma valleys, and this worked, but dinner in St. Helena was too far, with a CHP sobriety check on the way home, no less. My husband thought the cottage garden room too small, with only a couple of feet at the end of the bed to walk around. Other room ammenities were nice--flat screen tv, heated bathroom floor, indoor/outdoor shower, and private heated patio area. Didn't eat at the restaurant or BoonFly Cafe, but breakfast room service was not impressive. Mediorcre pastry assortment.

Staff was pleasant. After we returned home, I realized I had left a small bag behind, and Housekeeping was kind enough to immediately send it to me without charge.

Bottom line--nice enough place, but overpriced.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank Tricie
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 2 February 2006

We had a wonderful three day stay at the Caneros Inn. The staff could not do enough for us including a reservation at the French Laundry. Although the weather was not great the little cottages were a welcome retreat from the cold rain. the cottages had fireplaces with little bags of wood which are easy to use and replenished twice a day. The heated bathroom floors were a special treat and the back deck with the heaters would be great at a different time. We loved the food at the Boon Fly Cafe which is casual.
The only problem was the lack of a real fitness center. They used a cottage but it only had four pieces of equipment. They are doing a large construction project which will include a larger space but when we complained they sent us passes to a gym in Napa. Not quite the same but a nice gesture.
The construction project is huge but it did not seem to bother us since we were there on the weekend. Most of it is at the front of the property and does not impact the resort except visually as you arrive. I would love to return and enjoy that back porch with a nice bottle of cab!

5 Thank Barbara48
Boston, MA
Reviewed 28 November 2005

I was very surprized to see all the negative reviews of the Carneros Inn, because we want to live there! My husband & I spent a weekend in early March & could not have had a better experience. Fortunately we made travel arrangements through Diner's Club points and the stay & spa treatments were free, so I cannot comment on value. I recognize that the rack rate price point is very high, but with some online comparison, it seems that you can easily get half off that rate, for which it seems reasonable to me.
The cottage was beautifully appointed (I love modern, clean lines - the whole look) & extremely comfortable. I could have slept in that bed for days! The linens luxurious, the furnishings tastful & the mattress like a cloud. I am also a bathroom fanatic & this one won major points. The heated slate floor was just divine, the tub made for a great bath (post-Bouchon & stuffed to the gills!) & the indoor/outdoor shower reminded me of our honeymoon in Fiji (minus the lizards!). The fireplace was the icing on the cake as it flickered while we were snuggled in bed.
On the rest of the property we had no evidence of construction, so we may have come in an inbetween projects time for them. We enjoyed walking around the property in plush robes, whispering hellos to other similarly-dressed guests enjoying the quiet & fresh air. The pool was warm & relaxing; and the hot-tub perfect as the sun went down!
The Spa was just perfect for me. Just the right combination of luxury & pampering mixed with wellness & nature. I enjoyed a Goat Butter massage, which is from Napa & is very moisturizing. The steam room was my favorite! Usually they are gross, smelly breeding grounds for bacteria - not at the Carneros! Very clean, not scorchingly hot & with a bucket of fresh herbs to release their delicious oils into the air.
All in all we had a fabulous time & are contemplating purchasing one of the residences that they are constructing that everyone is complaining about! It was wonderful & I can't wait to go back & decompress.

• Stayed March 2005
9 Thank suzabanana
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 15 November 2005

Where do I start...I was surprising my wife with a trip to Napa for her birthday and our 5 yr anniversary. After looking at several properties, I decided on The Carneros Inn.
After speaking with the concierge, Siobhan (sho-bahn), I knew I had made the right decision. She is very knowledgeable about the area and made some fantastic reservations for dinner and wine tastings. She did mention that there was some construction, but it stops on the wknds.
We arrived on Fri 11/11 in the afternoon and we did notice the apparent expansion. You will find some of the roads are gravel, however if you can look past this, it is like getting through the desert to find an oasis!
Upon checking in, we were delighted to find out that Cadillac was offering the free use of their new SRX Suv for the entire day. The valet was nice enough to drop the Suv to our room and showed us the amenities in the room.
When my wife walked into the cottage, I knew I had picked the right place...she was smiling from ear to ear! The cottage is the ultimate in high technology meets California rustic chic! From the plasma TV and DVD player, thermostat controlled heated bathroom floors, indoor/ outdoor showers, to the outdoor patio with overhead heater. The list goes on and on!!
Awaiting our arrival was a nice package from Siobhan detailing our reservations/points of interests and maps. We spent Fri checking out some local wineries and grabbed some dinner at Rutherford Grill. On returning to our room, there was chilled champagne! WOW!!
Saturday, we had breakfast at the Hilltop dining room and enjoyed the extraordinary view of the mountains, the changing colors of the vines and the steam rising from the heated pool. The heated pool and Jacuzzi were open on the wknd.
Siobhan had made reservations at a winery named Del Dotto (which was a romantic dream) and also checked out another recommended winery; Regusci - awesome winery!
We had reservations Auberge du Soleil which started at 4:30 watching the spectacular sunset and eating dinner on the balcony!
Sunday, I checked out the outdoor shower...nothing like being able to look up and see the sky--priceless! Had tea on our private patio and also started off the morning with the most relaxing therapeutic massages. We then had lunch at Hilltop again, outside this time.
By the time we knew it, it was time to leave our hideaway cottage.

Although, we never had a chance to met Siobhan in person, we cannot thank her enough along with the attentive, most accommodating staff at Carneros; it made for one of the most amazing, romantic weekends we have ever had.
Contact Siobhan and tell her Van sent you...you will not be disappointed!
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2005
9 Thank vanDallas
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 November 2005

We decided to stay here on a whim and enjoyed it -- they gave us roughly a 50% discount for our last minute booking -- apparently, the Vineyard Cottages are normally $675 and we got a $330 rate. Even $330 seemed a bit steep for what you get but we enjoyed our stay.

If you stay on a weekend, you won't have to deal with any of the construction noise. Driving through the construction is no big deal but I could see how the noise would be annoying on weekdays. The rest of the cottages and the lodge are all done and this is where you spend your time.

The cottages are elegant -- the indoor/outdoor shower is fun. Heated tile floors are a nice touch. Flat-screen TV with decent picture. Overall, a well-designed room. Not sure I get the court-yard benefit -- seems like wasted space -- the outdoor heaters allow you to read on a cold morning but the walls are so high you can't see outside of the courtyard. BTW, don't buy the 1000 square feet thing -- they're including the outdoor patio. Rooms are closer to 500-600 square feet. Note: our vineyard cottage did not have a view of the vineyard -- unlikely that any of the cottages did, but they charge a $200 premium for these rooms. The views from the main lodge however are very peaceful. The pool/hot tub also have a view of the vineyards and surrounding rolling hills. The design of the resort, while pretty spread out, fits the Carneros area well.

Service is OK but not nearly that of a high-end resort. The concierge is young but goes out of her way to help.

Overall, a nice play to stay. The cottages give you a good amount of privacy and are probably ideal for a couple with a young child. The rack rates, however, are simply too high and if you can't get a discount, I think you should look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Bardessono
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford
The Meritage Resort and Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!