“Excellent service in addition to facilities sets it apart” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carneros Resort and Spa

Carneros Resort and Spa
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Hong Kong
“Excellent service in addition to facilities sets it apart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights in a Premier Garden Cottage. Upon arrival, I was dismayed at the uniform compound-like layout of the resort, as well as the closeness of the cottages. However, after spending a bit of time at the hotel, I was won over by the great facilities & truly excellent service. I generally find service at US luxury hotels to be sub-par relative to global counterparts, so this was a truly pleasant surprise. I would note, however, that we got the cottage with the largest garden on the property as well as several test features that are not standard in the other rooms in this category (as the operations manager told us later), & if I had paid this price for the standard cottage, I might have been a bit less impressed.

We saw both a standard cottage & the one we ended up with. Both rooms were long & narrow, with only a rather awkward small clearance between the end of the bed & the French windows opening onto the garden, but quite spacious given the length of the room. The standard garden felt a bit claustrophobic, especially with its high corrugated tin walls (which separate all of the gardens), but our garden was fantastic - large & inviting enough to want to throw a party there for 20-30 people. Our room was very comfortably furnished, with a deep cushy bed (a bit short for my tall husband) with great pillows & sheets; leather chairs with comfy blankets in front of an enormous flat screen TV with a flexible arm wall mount & terrific speaker system (not standard apparently); a fireplace; & a large bathroom with lovely rustic floor tiling, underfloor heating, soaking tub, indoor/outdoor shower, separate toilet cabin, & coffee & espresso machines. There were separate thermostats for the bedroom & bathroom, both of which worked perfectly. The decor was simple & tasteful. The speaker phone came in handy & the generous bath amenities were very nice.

Our cottage, like all the others, had a small porch with chairs out front & a porch light, giving it a homey feeling. Inside, a large set of french windows opened onto our huge garden, which had a table with 4 chairs & 2 chaise longues, a heater, a bar with 2 bar stools, an outdoor wine fridge (ready to be stocked up with your own wines), & our very own gas fire pit - a smaller version of the one in the Farm bar. We really loved this feature, which was great to hang out beside on the chilly nights when we were at the hotel. This garden felt made for gatherings.

Our spa treatments were very good, as were the facilities themselves, which included bath spa rooms looking out into the sky & a great steam room. The outdoor heated pool was warm enough, large & overlooked a beautiful view of the rolling countryside, while the attached jacuzzi was heated well enough to enjoy on a cold day. As for the food, our only experience was with in-room breakfast one morning; it was adequate, but unfortunately a bit of a disappointment. The complimentary wi-fi worked perfectly in our room.

The service throughout was friendly, highly professional, & efficient - some of the best service I have encountered at a US hotel. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a full-service place to stay in Napa with plenty of facilities on-site, within a 20 minute drive of both Yountville & Sonoma.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IPGHK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Ivyland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

This hotel exceeded our expectations, plain and simple. I'm a frequent traveler and stay at many hotels. I'm constantly disappointed. For our vacation and birthday celebration, my husband and I wanted something special. This was definitely it.

We stayed in a Harvest cottage and the pictures do not do this place justice. My one reservation prior to visiting was the tin looking walls. It screamed "compound" to me. In reality, it was not all that noticeable. Particularly in the evening, the room and the back deck were beautifully lit. This created a very romantic atmosphere.

We did have one problem with the fireplace while visiting due to heavy rains (which they usually never get). It caused soot to back up into the room. When we called about it, we had the general manager himself come straight to our room to check it out. Talk about service! He immediately had us moved to one of the Orchard homes...that was a treat! We were also treated to one of the most delicious meals at FARM with the most attentive sommelier and knowledgeable waiter I've ever had.

The staff was exceptional. Due to the rains we were picked up and driven to other areas of the property in an Audi SUV (instead of the usual golf carts). The concierge was fantastic and made many great recommendations.

We will definitely go back to The Carneros Inn.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LisaW6
Belvedere, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

I LOVE this place. We have now returned three times, most recently staying in one of the wonderful homes - which are amazing. Carneros Inn is so close to SF, but a world away. The staff is so warm and accommodating. The property is so comfortable great for a romantic retreat or for a family. It is really comfortable - my favorite spot is the outdoor lounge with fireplace in front of Farm. The pool at the hilltop is spectacular. Make sure to eat at both FARM - beautiful room with fabulous food and Boon Fly Cafe (which has the BEST breakfast!)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelmore10
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

I stayed at the Carneros with my husband in August 2009 during our 3 year anniversary trip. I was more than impressed with the resort from the moment we drove up to the main entrance. The staff immediately responded to our questions upon arriving and greeted us with a delicious glass of wine. The concierge was more than helpful in booking our wine tours and tastings.

We ate at both Farm and Boon Fly Cafe which are the two restaurants on property. Farm had a beautiful and quaint feel to it, however I did not enjoy my meal. I decided to try duck for the first time, and through no fault of the chef, realized I am not a fan. My husband ordered a delicious pork meal, which we both really enjoyed. Boon Fly was fantastic for both breakfast and dinner. I recommend the jalapeno benedict...it's to die for. The poolside restaurant was good, but pricey. I suggest ordering a cheese plate while sipping your drink of choice by the amazing pool. As for vinyards to visit, it's personal preference, but I liked the Cakebread tasting best. The staff there had the most relaxed and fun attitude and the wine was my favorite among all the places we visited. On your way to the vinyards, you must stop at Oakville Grocery for a picnic lunch. The sandwiches were absolutely delicious and we were told this place was a local favorite. The picnic area outside was cute for a quick lunch.

Our cottage was beautiful. There was a large, luxurious bathroom which also featured an outdoor shower that I did not use, but looked old and unkempt. The bathroom also had heated floors, which added a nice touch to the chilly nights. The outdoor area of our little cottage was very cute and private with lounge chairs, heaters, and a picnic table. It was a really neat spot. The room was modern and comfortable, but could use more space for luggage and clothes.

As for the location, one could easily bike to vinyards from the resort. I would plan to make a day of it if you choose to travel this way and leave early. We used our rental car and were able to visit 3 vinyards and have lunch (we got off to a late start). The spa and pool were both fantastic at this resort. I had a massage as well as a facial and really enjoyed both. The spa staff are very friendly and make you feel really comfortable. I'm not one to lounge in a bathrobe, but felt I could without feeling awkward on the pretty deck. The only complaint I have is that there was some construction going on outside the spa, which took away from the cool views on the spa deck. The pool is the best I've ever seen. Words can't describe the view and feeling you will experience at this pool. It was serene and breathtaking. Even if you don't stay here, definitely check out the resort's pool area on a visit to this place. It is well worth it to have lunch on the patio. The resort store closed rather early on a Sunday, which was disappointing.

Though this resort was expensive (600+) it was so well worth the splurge. I definitely recommend staying at the Carneros if you are looking for a beautiful spot in the middle of wine country to relax and pamper yourself.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

My wife and I recently stayed there as a perk from my company. Looking at what my company paid for a night in a cottage( $813 total ) including room and tax plus a resort fee? ($10) I had to see what these rooms actually rent for if we had rented it ourselves. I now see they are charging in the range of $400 per night. Must be the economy but when this room was reserved over a year ago it wasalmost double in price. The Inn was nice and well located. The BoonFly Restaurant was very good with excellent service, The cottage we stayed in had a beautiful bathroom but was overall cramped for what we paid. Too much deck space with no views. Overall a nice inn but funky tin siding looked cheap. I would pay $250 to $300 to stay here in the future based on amenities such as pools and spa.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BikeRiderCalifornia
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2009

I can only agree with everyone elses reviews,its a very romantic getaway,amazing pool area,the most fabulous rooms which included a decked area and heater,lovely log burning fireplace,amazing bathroom,although the indoor / outdoor shower seemed a little strange as the water just seemed to go everywhere when you used it outside,all the staff were very attentive to our needs.
The resort does have a kinda country club feel to it upon first impressions but once your settled in the room the whole ambience off the place takes over.
This was by far the nicest room we stayed in on our 3 weeks road trip,i decided to splash out a little and it paid off...but boy did i splash out $550 for one night,but as in everything in life, you get what you pay for,and in this case you wont be dissapointed.
We topped off the experience with lunch at The Boon Cafe,which was very amazing

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

Granted, this was the most expensive hotel we booked on our October 2009 honeymoon trip - but then again, it was the most worth it..
The good: FABULOUS cottages with lovely backyards! Just beautiful - hard to explain really. High-end, perfectly appointed without being snobby or pretentious. Staff was always there for anything you needed - and room service was absolutely excellent! Parking is free and right in front of your cottage - mini-fridge is modestly stocked and included with the room (just a nice touch - I like not being nickeled & dimed, don't you?)
What you should know: You have to drive to Napa - it's a little off the beaten path. This is really not a big deal, but something to know. FARM restaurant is apparently closed on Monday & Tuesday - which were the 2 nights we were there. A pity, because it looked so beautiful!
In short, I wish we had spent the whole week here instead of 2 nights. Just amazing - we'll be back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Bardessono
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford
The Meritage Resort and Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!