“Luxurious Bliss”

Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
A TripAdvisor Member
“Luxurious Bliss”
Reviewed 9 July 2006

My husband and I reserved the Inn's "Soak Up the Sun" package the day before 4th of July, which included a one night stay in any Cottage or Suite, two 1-hour massages, and full breakfast at either of their restaurants. The package cost was $730, which included tax and gratuity. Pricey for a one night stay, but well worth it.

When we first arrived it was a bit confusing due to the construction in front and the small signs directing us to the reception area. But the staff were very friendly pointing us in the right direction.

The customer service was excellent. Very friendly, accommodating and efficient. We were assigned the Gunter 1 cottage, which was the closest cottage near the main entry and construction. Although we had no problems with noise, I would request next time a cottage near the pool. The king bed was spacious and comfortable, the soaking tube and separate shower with a linking door to the outdoor shower luxurious (heated floor tiles in the bathroom was my favorite), and the flat screen t.v. above the fireplace was the icing on the cake. The turndown service was a pleasant surprise. They not only placed mints and their signature satchet on the bed, they also cleaned-up our room.

My only recommended additions would to include extended/paid cable channels (only basic cable was available) and a room safe.

The spa facilities were adequate (the space was small) and the staff were professional and friendly. My massage was given by Magnolia, who had magical hands. It is strongly recommended to book a time at the Spa during your reservations due to high demand.

All in all, I would come back after construction is complete (the reception mentioned that it should be completed by March 2007) and stay more than one night.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Winnipeg
Reviewed 7 July 2006

For anyone who doesn't like the Carneros Inn, then you won't like anything at all. This is a wonderful place. I won't repeat all the ameinities that people have alluded to, but I can guarantee that you will love the experience.

As for the folks bashing the "hot walk" to the pool...here's a suggestion, wear flip flops...

1 Thank Lorna148
Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 July 2006

We stayed at the Carneros Inn for two nights and generally enjoyed our stay. Like everyone else, we were quickly enthralled by and addicted to the outdoor shower, and we also loved the heated bathroom floor. We had problems with the TV, although it is a beautiful flat screen, and had to call them more than once for assistance. The service was ok, not as wonderful as a Four Seasons by any stretch of the imagination. We booked a package deal that included an amenity and a massage. I had to call for the amenity gift which was not waiting in the room. Little things but little things add up when you are paying for an expensive room. As part of our package we had a fairly large bedroom with a full bath, an outdoor patio that enjoined another room (also ours) and two outdoor showers. The second room was like a sitting room/living room and although lovely and well appointed we never used it and not sure when we would have as it was just the 2 of us. Breakfast there was just ok, although others have raved about it. The omelet special was the same each day we were there. The pool was divine and the spa treatment was very nice. The bar was lovely although we didn't really use it except at breakfast. The construction is off-putting and when its done the place is going to be huge by the looks of it. I would stay there again, but not necessarily with the same package as we felt the second room was wasted on us.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank frtsam2la
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 June 2006

My wife and I were looking for a quick getaway. We've spent a lot of time in Napa and know the wineries well -- we just wanted an opportunity to stay someplace unique, private and luxurious. We were not disappointed.

From the outset we were pleased. We called Carneros on a Saturday and were hoping for a one-night stay (contrary to the two-day stay minimum). Given it was Saturday, noon, they were quite willing to accomodate us.

We drove up to Napa and spent the afternoon on the Silverado Trail, finally making our way over to Carneros around 5:00 p.m. We were initially a little put-off by the construction (where do we go? is this really it?), but once we negotiated the road to the top of the hill and made it to reception, we were very pleased.

The property has a terrific view of the southern end of Napa Valley and the surrounding hills. It is very picturesque (aside from the neighboring farm and yard-junk). From the pool area, you have a gorgeous view nicely complimented by cocktails.

The rooms were terrific. Really quite stunning. We had one of the smaller rooms, but combined with the outdoor patio it was spacious. We loved the indoor/outdoor living. The bed was terrific and we were able to plug our iPod into the stereo and enjoy our own music both from bed and the patio.

We didn't bother with dinner on the property and brought in some great cheese, bread and salads from Dean & Deluca in the valley along with a bottle of wine we bought at V. Sattui. This was really enjoyable to eat on our private patio with the stereo blaring. Great food, good wine on our own private patio. Perfect.

But it was the outdoor shower that really sold us on the place. The indoor shower has a door to the outside that allows you to open it and create an indoor/outdoor wet room with a rain shower head on the outside and multiple jets on the inside. We spent a lot of time enjoying both -- feeling only a little guilty about abusing the property's water supply.

The service was very casual. If you're looking for super-attentive service, this isn't it. The service is what I like to call casual luxury -- they'll take care of anything you might need, but it won't feel like they're everywhere waiting on your every need. For two Californian's, this was perfect.

Our only regret was not taking advantage of the concierge to get us reservations at the French Laundry -- next time!

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed 17 June 2006

Just stayed for the weekend, I have no idea what the negitave reviews are talking about. From booking, chekcing in a Friday night to be greated by a local wine maker from Mahoney Vineyards pouring his own wines, the views, settting and service could not have been better and far exceeded my expecations. Cottages are romantic, private and filled with high end everything - Beds you will not want to leave, woodburing fireplaces, bathrooms are like a private Spa - deep tubs, huge shower with heads everywhere and door opens in your shower to an outdoor rain head where I spent 1/2 of the stay! Private large patios, fully furnished were perfect for the warm weekend -I felt like I was stayng at a friends guest house not a hotel.

Food was terrific and the service friendly and warm, maybe a bit off of a city Four Season but they made me feel like they really did care abou tus and not just going through the motions. Spa is NOT to be missed- they were voted the best massage in the US a few years ago - we agree - Magnolia is to be requested - awesome body worker. If you go do not miss the warm goat butter massage - ahhhhhhhhh.

Go, relax, romance, revitiaize, and as I plan to - Return often.

PS - Many comments regarding the prices - Napa is a very expensive spot - compare the Carneros Inn's prices with Auberge or Meadowood - they are half the price and twice the experience!

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank Shigeo N
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed 16 June 2006

The Carneros Inn is like no place else. You will love it, and probably won't want to go home. It's very peaceful. Enjoy every minute of it. The pool was beautiful and sitting in the hot tub looking at the views was absoultely amazing. If you want a massage, have them come to your cottage, and they will do it outside on the patio. That was great. Perhaps the best part of the Carneros Inn was the outdoor shower.

The only part about the Carnero Inn (and it wasn't their fault) is that there were a fair about of young and unsupervised children playing near the pool. The parents were eating dinner, and could see their children. However, a resort like this is hardly the place for children. Parents, leave them behind.

2 Thank PA2CVA
nevada
Reviewed 15 June 2006

From what I gather by reading prior reviews of the Carneros Inn, folks either love it or hate it. It's either a modern marvel or a gravel-pathed trailer park. You really ought to take a look at pictures of the place before you book here... because it IS one of the most unique places I've had the pleasure of staying at. Here are some random observations from our stay (two nights), in no particular order of significance:

1. It is a considerable distance away from the heart of Napa Valley. We didn't find it inconvenient, but folks who want to be right in the thick of it all would be better off booking in Yountville or St. Helena. We actually enjoyed the relative seclusion... especially since we were in the valley over a weekend. It has more of a 'resort-unto-itself' type of a feel.

2. The construction at the entrance is still going on, and while a sign out front says that the project will be complete in 'Summer 2006', it certainly appears that there will be work going on well after that. This was not a problem for us, though - it seemed like crews had the weekend off. On Monday morning, the day we left, we woke up to sounds of a construction truck backing up, and there were workers all over the place. We were in the 'Knittel' cottages near the center of the property.

3. The rooms are gorgeous. The outdoor space is gorgeous, too - our cottage had a deck with 2 chaise lounges and a 5 piece outdoor dining set. The heated bathroom floors were really neat. The 3-head indoor shower looked great - but I never used it. I fell in love with the al fresco shower, which is attached. I was in that thing every chance I got. The shampoo/soap/bath products were wonderful as well. My only knock on the rooms: storage space. It was great to have two leather chairs and a sitting area, but there was no way to use them - there was nowhere else to put our bags. It seems like a major oversight to me that in such a great space, there is such little... space. There was a note in the room from the general manager, apologizing for the construction. Part of the project, according to that note, is to 'improve the functionality of our current cottages'. I can only hope that he's talking about the storage situation.

4. Our experience with housekeeping service was pretty spotty. Details such as a fresh bag of coffee were not seen to. There was water on the floor - from a recent mopping, I presume - when we returned to our room. Turndown, on the other hand, was excellent.

5. I had the best massage of my life at the Spa. The therapist's name was Christina.

6. The pool and jacuzzi area are magnificent. Open 24 hours. Jacuzzi + 1/2 bottle of champagne + full moon = a night I'll never forget. And there are a number of horses that live right next door. Very cool to see them grazing and running around while taking a dip in the 'edgeless' pool.

7. Breakfast at the Boon Fly Cafe is not to be missed. If you can roll out of bed and go down there, it's worth it - there are more interesting items on the menu than on the room service menu. The room service food comes from BFC's kitchen.

All in all, would I stay here again? I think I would. It's pretty expensive, but it doesn't seem to be too out of line for the area, in terms of getting what you pay for. It was a splurge trip for us, and the Carneros Inn helped make it very memorable. In that sense, it was worth every penny.

9 Thank newsguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Bardessono
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford
The Meritage Resort and Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!