“River Terrace Inn”

River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The hotel was clean and quiet and the rooms were nice. Beautiful bathroom and separate vanity are. We had a view of the river with a mini balcony, very comfortable bed for $273 a night.

It's within walking distance to downtown Napa, but you have to walk along a main road or through a not-so-well lit neighborhood. If I had taken the time to map it out, I would have chosen a hotel on the other side of Soscol. Since we planned to walk everywhere, it was an inconvenience. If you're driving, no problem.

Over our four day stay we had to get three sets of keys because the keys stopped working, even though we kept them in an envelope and away from cell phones and credit cards. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but after a day out exploring vineyards and biking, that extra 15 minutes waiting to get a new key seems like forever. On our final night, that extra 15 minutes cost us our dinner reservations and a prolonged wait at Grace's Table.

We had an incident with something missing from our room that staff were quick to respond to, but the follow-up by the general manager left us less than satisfied. His basic response was we were mistaken, we must have consumed the item and forgot. Definitely not the case. They eventually offered to replace the item, but after two days of back and forth I just thanked them and declined.

Then upon check out we were charged for a can of beer from the mini bar. We never even opened the mini bar. When my husband brought it up with the front desk, they quickly took it off the bill, but they "jokingly" asked him, are you sure your wife didn't drink it and you don't know about it? Seems to be a prevalent attitude the customer is always wrong -- or at least has dementia.

With a little work on customer service and the key system, it'd be a fine place to stay.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
whitey1953, General Manager at River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2011

Thank you for your review and for the opportunity to host you early this week. I am sorry for my followup on the missing item in your room. Unfortunately, I had did not have all of the specific details before my call to you, and my response was not what it should have been. I apologize for the way I handled the situation. I am also sorry about the challenges with your room keys. We should have had maintenance check the lock on your guest room. We occasionally have issues with guest keys, but three times during a visit is unusual. I am pleased that you enjoyed your River View King room and comfortable bed. I hope you might consider staying with us again in the future. I know we can do a better job of hosting you the next time.

Jeff Whitehead

Write a ReviewReviews (1,762)

Reviewed 29 September 2011

My daughter and her husband stayed here for her honeymoon three years ago and raved about it. She showed us photos of the room, grounds etc. My husband and I booked a room here for one night during our stay in Napa Valley. After a tiring day of touring the wineries, we were anxious to go back to the hotel to relax and find a good place for dinner. When we arrived, the hotel looked just like it's photo, so that was good start. Unfortunately, it was all downhill from here. Check in was ok, nothing special. When we got to our room, I was immediately hit with a smell of stale wine. The carpet was stained, and the furniture was chipped. The room was overall, very plain with no special touches. The advertised "comfy" bed was misleading, the bedcover felt like drapery material, very scratchy to the touch. Our "view" was overlooking the carport. Disappointed, I tried to put away our food items in the fridge and found I couldn't since it was stocked with high cost mini-bar items. I put my food items back into the cooler. My husband and I decided to not complain, just get through the night and leave the next morning, but it was hard to sleep with the strong odor. Needless to say, we didn't get a good night's rest. Check out was even worse than checking in, no one asked if we liked the room or our stay in general. They just wanted to express check us out and be done with it all. We will not be back again......

1  Thank ChefKFairfax_VA

I apologize for the poor experience that you had at our hotel. I am embarassed by your description of the condition of your guest room. I have shared this review with our front desk, maintenance and housekeeping staffs. If your room was as you described it, it should not have been available to rent. On another note, when you tried to put your grocery items in the refrigerator, you may not have noticed the additional empty fridge that is provided in all of our guest rooms.
I would like to have the opportunity to apologize personally for our shortcomings. If you contact me directly, I could address all of your concerns.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

RiverTerrace Inn was the site and venue for a recent professional workshop. The staff were professional and extremely accommodating to all attendees. The meeting space, along with all catered meals, went very smoothly, including satisfying any special requests or needs. And since the facility is within walking distance to downtown Napa, it was especially convenient so that guests could enjoy a leisurely walk to the center of town.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LAS55

Thank you for providing the opportunity to host your group for your lodging and meetings at the River Terrace Inn. As you mentioned, we are perfectly situated to provide an atmosphere for a successful business meeting in a convenient location. I look forward to hosting your next business retreat.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

My wife & I spent 4 nights at this property and found it very clean and comfortable. They have complimentary valet service but there was plenty of self-parking available (but we were there Sun. - Wed.) The staff were most accomodating and pleasant. There was always a nice 'after hours' gathering on the terrace. LOVE the fire pit and the bar serves beer and wine until 11:00 p.m. (that's all they serve) which is great for us night owls. They have a limited-menu restaurant on site with room service (we never used either) but there's a full restaurant on the other side of the parking lot which offered a nice selection of food at reasonable prices along with a full bar. Loved their location; 3 minutes from downtown but far enough away from the highway that it gave an impression of being remote. The best view was in the back (river-view rooms) and also from the terrace where there were lots of trees. Overall a pleasant experience and we would certainly consider staying here again.

Room Tip: River-view rooms are the nicest and quietest but also most in demand and more expensive.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and the opportunity to host you and your wife during your four night visit to the Napa Valley. I was pleased that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed our serene location right on the Napa River. I am also happy that you were able to experience Restaurant Cuvee, with its great menu and full cocktail bar. i look forward to our next opportunity to host you.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

Just returned from a wonderful 4 nights at the River Terrace Inn and really loved it! The hotel is spotlessly clean and the location is excellent. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food & service are excellent. Love having my own fridge and wine glasses in the room. The overall atmosphere of the inn is quite charming. Downtown Napa is withing walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank WeeWoodstock

I am so pleased that you had a good visit during your four day stay with us. I am glad that your found our service, staff and atmosphere so inviting. I hope that you will come to stay with us again soon. It's great to be your favorite hotel!

Reviewed 22 September 2011

This was home base for a quick weekend in wine country and it served us well. It's clean and quiet, the rooms are a good size, the beds are very comfortable. But it has about as much charm as a business hotel. Other than the fact that they had wine tasting in the lobby one night, this place could've been a Radisson in Kansas City. Would've preferred it was a little cheaper, but in this area, the price seems about right.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for making us your base for your weekend visit to the Napa Valley. I am pleased that you found the accommodations clean, comfortable and quiet, but wish that we would have done a bettter job of making it a special visit for you. I have shared this review with our staff, and have reminded them that though it is important to be efficient, it is more improtant to be hospitible. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

We just spent two nights at the River Terrace Inn. As with most visitors you are out exploring during the day and we really didn't spend that much time at the hotel. Two events to help future guests. Do not even breath on the wine bottles in your room or you will be charged for them. I happened to notice three bottles of wine charged to our room on our bill as we were checking out. I was told if a bottle is moved even slightly you have to pay for it. Our bill was adjusted but just something to be aware of. Second issue was breakfast. As reservation was made months ago I could not remember if breakfast was included. As nothing was mentioned when we checked in I called front desk to check the night before and was told it was not included and would be 12 dollars per person. Another couple traveling with us said that did not sound right, as we were preparing to go eat in town the next morning. Sure enough, I checked my e mail reservation which I had brought with me and it stated clearly that breakfast WAS included. I went to the desk and upon showing them the e mail we were given breakfast "tickets" for both mornings. As I mentioned both issues were resolved, just something travelers should be aware of. The back terrace was very enjoyable for breakfast!

Room Tip: Unless you are going to stay in your room all day I would not pay for a "RIVER" view.
3  Thank mamasal

Thank you for spending your two nights in Napa with us. I apologize for the issues you had with the minibar and our breakfast. Though our automated minibar posting system can be very efficient, it sometimes needs some human intervention. I am pleased that we were able to resolve the issue with breakfast, but sorry that you had to provide your email confirmation to do so. We have made the transition from a complimentary buffet breakfast to a much more expansive buffet that is offered on a paid basis. This transition has been smooth for the most part, but we have had a few bumps, as we did in your case. Thank you for your patience. Thank you, too, for taking the time to complete your review. I hope to be able to host you again in the future.